Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Canada
Posts: 14
Wide angle lens?

I'm looking at getting a good wide angle lens in the near future. Right now I've got a 50mm 1.4 (which l love!) the kit 18-55mm and a 50-200mm lens, all of which are the Pentax brand. I'm really torn because I'm thinking the 16-45mm f/4 or the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8. Are the Sigmas good or should I save my money? I just think that the Pentax won't be enough. I shoot a lot in low light and kids so speed and good low light capabilities are must. Unfortunately the 16-50mm is out of my price range. Any thoughts?

02-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,194
Have you considered the Sigma DC EX 18-50mm f/2.8?

I don't have a Pentax DA* 16-50mm to compare it with, but I'm happy with the Sigma.

PopPhoto test indicates the Sigma has better IQ and distortion control than the DA* 16-50. It does not have the weatherproof feature of the Pentax, however.
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,104
I've owned the Sigma DC EX 18-50mm f/2.8 Macro and it is a beauty. I'd recommend it or the Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8. I have many examples of the Sigma on my site if you want to have a look.
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 452
I'll vouch for the Pentax 16-45mm/4. Excellent lens for the price. Seems to go for around $250 here on the marketplace. Despite other lens purchases it remains my main general use lens. However the Pentax 12-24 seems to be slowly taking its place.

02-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,817
Isn't the Sigma only f2.8 until about 21mm? I'm just going on vague memory but someone must own it. I don't think it goes above f4 until well past 45mm, though. The DA 16-45 looks cheap to me these days, as little as $250 - I am used to this lens being $400+.

At this price range and usage, you should at least consider buying a good flash and using the old DA 18-55. Or as Marc Sabatella called it, the DA 18/3.5, because it's always at 18mm. With any of these three lenses, you aren't gaining a huge amount of speed. Flash will get you a lot more light, the ability to use the kit lens at f8 where it's very good, even some help with AF.
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by needtime2scrap Quote
I'm looking at getting a good wide angle lens in the near future. Right now I've got a 50mm 1.4 (which l love!) the kit 18-55mm and a 50-200mm lens, all of which are the Pentax brand. I'm really torn because I'm thinking the 16-45mm f/4 or the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8. Are the Sigmas good or should I save my money? I just think that the Pentax won't be enough. I shoot a lot in low light and kids so speed and good low light capabilities are must. Unfortunately the 16-50mm is out of my price range. Any thoughts?
Save for an SDM/HSM lens. You'll think you're using a totally different camera...well, that was my impression. I spend a lot of my time fooling around with manual lenses and the loud in-body AF motor becomes increasingly more embarrassing when going back to AF lenses.

Last edited by asdf; 02-23-2009 at 10:29 PM.
02-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Isn't the Sigma only f2.8 until about 21mm? I'm just going on vague memory but someone must own it. I don't think it goes above f4 until well past 45mm, though. The DA 16-45 looks cheap to me these days, as little as $250 - I am used to this lens being $400+.

At this price range and usage, you should at least consider buying a good flash and using the old DA 18-55. Or as Marc Sabatella called it, the DA 18/3.5, because it's always at 18mm. With any of these three lenses, you aren't gaining a huge amount of speed. Flash will get you a lot more light, the ability to use the kit lens at f8 where it's very good, even some help with AF.
The Sigma 18-50 is f/2.8 throughout the range. The focus ring has a very short through and therefore, hardly a peep in terms of noise. AF accuracy is exceptional.
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
The Sigma 18-50 is f/2.8 throughout the range.
Right, but the OP was asking about the 17-70.

02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
QuoteQuote:
needtime2scrap: Are the Sigmas good or should I save my money? I just think that the Pentax won't be enough. I shoot a lot in low light and kids so speed and good low light capabilities are must. Unfortunately the 16-50mm is out of my price range. Any thoughts?
QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatela: Right, but the OP was asking about the 17-70.
The OP did ask specifically about the 17-70 Sigma. But the OP also expressed 2 concerns: low light shooting; affordability. The OP also introduced the plural, ie., "Sigmas" into the discussion which opens things up a bit too. But, more seriously, giving advice for the excellent 18-50 f 2.8 is pertinent, IMHO, to the OP's call for help here.

Since affordability and low-light are the OP's main concerns, as well as quality, I think Ajuett's introduction of the 18-50 is warranted. It does what the OP is looking for, in a price close to the 17-70mm. Given that the OP states, "Are the Sigmas any good." I think it is safe to assume the OP may not have knowledge of the 18-50 sigma f 2.8. Also, since the OP is considering the 16-45mm range, I also think it safe to assume the OP would consider the 18-50mm range, particularly when the OP has expressed a need for low-light.

Obviously, the OP may want nothing to do with the Sigma 18-50, but I do not think that would reduce, to any degree, the validity of introducing discussion of the Sigma 18-50 in this thread. My 2 cent-vent!
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The OP did ask specifically about the 17-70 Sigma. But the OP also expressed 2 concerns: low light shooting; affordability. The OP also introduced the plural, ie., "Sigmas" into the discussion which opens things up a bit too. But, more seriously, giving advice for the excellent 18-50 f 2.8 is pertinent, IMHO, to the OP's call for help here.
Absolutely; didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just trying to clarify what Dave was presumably referring to when he mentioned the possibility that "the Sigma" was only f/2.8 up to 21mm.
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,104
Marc, I didn't fully read the topic as I should have. I assumed and just jumped in with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 macro as I am reminiscing about that lens. Still kicking myself for the insane equipment change I did 7 months ago
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
kibipod's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 276
If you are not always using f2.8, how about DA 12-24mm? It is wider than 16/17mm. Its a good lens and not as expensive as DA*16-50mm.
02-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
QuoteQuote:
Marc: Absolutely; didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just trying to clarify what Dave was presumably referring to when he mentioned the possibility that "the Sigma" was only f/2.8 up to 21mm.
I see---I apologize for dragging you into this part of the thread unnecessarily.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
angle, k-mount, lens, light, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a wide angle lens lazyeye Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 05-12-2009 02:51 PM
Which wide angle lens? Darius4522 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 03-20-2009 07:12 PM
Wide Angle lens Jimbo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 05-16-2008 11:58 AM
What wide angle lens? switters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 11-02-2007 01:59 PM
Wide Angle Lens Toshi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-26-2006 03:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top