Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help! Adaptal-2 P K/A lens not communicating with K10D

Viewers: Please see post farther down the thread - many questions answered and a solution proposed!! -- update - solution worked.

I just received a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 52B portrait/macro lens (with the converter) and with a P/KA Adaptall-2 mount from a reputable Forum member.

The Tamron lens will not indicate the aperture on my K10D in AE mode. The lens appears to function as an M lens - full manual, open aperture shutter release, no communication with the camera body but later I show that it actually is responding to CAMERA inputs, but the camera does not display the Av setting.

My Pentax and Vivitar A lenses communicate and display the aperture setting and the e-dials work.

The aperture ring on the Adaptall-2 mount is set to AE -f/32 (the AE setting for cameras that do not support f/32).

I have tried the camera in all modes, unmounted and remounted the adapter, mounted A, FA and DA lenses (they communicate fine) cleaned the adapter contacts with a non-active cleaner, nothing.

The seller assures me the lens worked just last weekend (he tested it before sending) with P3n and P30T bodies.

The seller is beyond trustworthy, so I must be doing something wrong.

Please offer suggestions and assistance.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-24-2009 at 05:09 PM.
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

does the mount adaptor have electrical contacts on it?

this may seem stupid at first, but adaptall 2 lenses all have an "A" position on the apature ring, but to make it an A lens you need a PKA adaptor not a PK adaptor for it.

the PKA adaptor has electrical contacts in the base, the PK does not.

if it does have contacts, then check the 3rd from the lens locking pin, it should be shorted to the base of the lens adaptor in the A setting,. if it is not, then the adaptor is defective.
02-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
does the mount adaptor have electrical contacts on it?

this may seem stupid at first, but adaptall 2 lenses all have an "A" position on the apature ring, but to make it an A lens you need a PKA adaptor not a PK adaptor for it.

the PKA adaptor has electrical contacts in the base, the PK does not.

if it does have contacts, then check the 3rd from the lens locking pin, it should be shorted to the base of the lens adaptor in the A setting,. if it is not, then the adaptor is defective.
The adapter is marked P/KA and has three contacts. I have never understood the word "shorted (Lowell, will you kindly explain?)," but I did look at the corresponding contacts on the body and they seem to line up with the adapter.

The seller has been very generous, but has never mounted this lens to a DSLR and suggested I ask for help here. He has also offered to accept a return of the entire purchase (lens, extension tube, hood and ES mount) which I wouold prefer not to do.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I ran into cases that my copy of adaptall pk/A adapter only works for f/4.0 and smaller. And also, there are times that in Av mode the aperture is displayed as F-- due to loose contacts between the adapter and the mounted adaptall lens. I would suggest trying to remount the adaptall adapter onto the lens securely and see if aperture is displayed on Av mode.

My pk/a adapter

I sold a copy of adaptall lens similar to the 52B, it has a 55mm filter size instead of 52mm filter size and its model is 52BB and it is not published in adaptall pages, I think my previous lens is similar to yours with a maximum aperture of f/2.5. In the short time that I tried it before sale, I could only use AE from f/4.0 to smaller apertures, anything bigger than f/4.0, I have to use M mode. It may be due to my copy of pk/a adapter.

My 52BB can be seen in this flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hin_man/sets/72157612303653400/with/3178185164/

And in Private messages, I discussed with "Class A" about these issues with adaptall lens, he seems to think that it is possible to go to aperture like f/3.5 and f/2.8, but so far, I could not achieve that with my copy of pk/a adapter.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
02-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I ran into cases that my copy of adaptall pk/A adapter only works for f/4.0 and smaller. And also, there are times that in Av mode the aperture is displayed as F-- due to loose contacts between the adapter and the mounted adaptall lens. I would suggest trying to remount the adaptall adapter onto the lens securely and see if aperture is displayed on Av mode.

I sold a copy of adaptall lens similar to the 52B, it has a 55mm filter size instead of 52mm filter size and its model is 52BB and it is not published in adaptall pages, I think my previous lens is similar to yours with a maximum aperture of f/2.5. In the short time that I tried it before sale, I could only use AE from f/4.0 to smaller apertures, anything bigger than f/4.0, I have to use M mode. It may be due to my copy of pk/a.

And in Private messages, I discussed with "Class A" about different issues with adaptall lens, he seems to think that it is possible to go to aperture like f/3.5 and f/2.8, but so far, I could not achieve that with my pk/a adapter.

Thanks,
Hin
Thanks, Hinman. Your 52BB images show what is supposed to be a cosmetic variation of the 52B with the focusing scales "under glass" like an F or FA lens, while mine has tradition painted scales (per Adaptall.com). My lens has a 49mm filter size.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52B.html

I will PM "Class A" with your referral.

I plan to fool around with this for a few days in an effort to keep everything included in the sale.

The seller sent me an ES mount along with the P/KA, so I can use this lens in AE mode with the Spot F - and still use it in manual mode with the K10D and my KX. I'll see how it works with the ES mount - if that works then I know the P/KA mount is defective. There is NO presentation of the aperture when the adapter is set for AE (and of course when the aperture is set manually). I could only get a green button meter response when I manually set the aperture away from AE.

I just wish it would work they way it should.

(I did NOT break the LBA pledge here - I have sold 14 lenses and bought only a Spotmatic F and this lens. I have more lenses and some accessories to sell beofre I get into the good stuff - heaven forbid!!.)

Paul

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2009 at 08:31 PM.
02-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aperture works - LED VF display doesn't register

Well, after fooling around for about an hour, mounting and unmounting the lens, cleaning the contacts, mounting other A lenses, etc., this is what's happening.

• Viewfinder does not display the aperture setting when the lens is in AE.
  • Changing the rear e-dial DOES change the lens behavior
    • In Av, the shutter speed changes to reflect the wider or narrower aperture, as it should
    • in Tv, the aperture stops down to the correct f/stop as the shutter speed is changed - visually confirmed
  • Green button does not react at all, whether in AE or manually stopped; DoF preview lever does cause a stop-down meter event.
  • Image preview seems to show consistent exposure with the appropriate changes in DoF or Auto ISO (dependent upon Mode setting)
I am confused - the lens seems to be operating - is it just too old to make the K10D display the aperture setting?
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi monochrome,

Take a look at this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/50689-fixing-tamron-...a-adapter.html

I have quite a few PK/A adapters and this has worked for all of them. I think that the digital bodies need a better contact to ground than the film bodies for some reason. You only need to be concerned with the screw that is closest to the electical contacts for the fix BTW.

Scott
02-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a couple issues with my 2 PK-A adapters. One would not lock into AE. The other would not go below f/4.

For the second one, I scraped off the right-most screw (per Hin's pic, nearest the left contact). For the one that wouldn't lock...I can't remember the exact fix.

I will look at both tomorrow and determine what it took to fix em.

02-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a few of these and had a lot of trouble with one.
It turned out the little grey lever (cannot show pic as I dont have one here in Spain with me) on the other side to hinmans picture was slightly bent inwards towards the middle.
I pushed it back against the outside wall and that corrected the problem.
02-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I hope you get your problems sorted out.

I have the very setup (finally got the extension tube!) with the 52BB. I have two K-A adapters and have never had a problem with either, though the 52BB shows up as f/2.8 rather than f/2.5 in the camera.

I've always thought the adaptall mount was brilliantly engineered, but I suppose by now there are adapters being re-sold that have had accidents and so on. Or perhaps the camera bodies have become more persnickety?
02-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Funny - I just read that article over the weekend while grazing the new Forum structure and the articles section. My brain didn't make the connection. Maybe I need to scrape the glue off the screws . . .

Quick thanks to all before work - evaluation and results this evening.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-24-2009 at 05:55 AM.
02-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi monochrome,

Take a look at this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/50689-fixing-tamron-...a-adapter.html

I have quite a few PK/A adapters and this has worked for all of them. I think that the digital bodies need a better contact to ground than the film bodies for some reason. You only need to be concerned with the screw that is closest to the electical contacts for the fix BTW.

Scott
I had the same problem, and I had to remove the glue like mentioned above for it to work.
02-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The adapter is marked P/KA and has three contacts. I have never understood the word "shorted (Lowell, will you kindly explain?),"
"shorted" means short circuited to, or otherwise electrically connected to, the lens mount.

there is a sliding switch inside the mount that connects the pin alligning with the third body pin from the lens locking pin (the recessed pin on the body) to the base of the mount. It only connects in the "A" position.

If there is no connection or a poor connection, the lens will not function with the camera in Av mode, but will behave like a normal K mount lens. the remaining pins tell the camera body the maximum and minimum apatures of the lens. this is communicated by other contacts within the mount that are connected or not, as a function of th elocation of the two tabs that interact with the lens body on the mount.
02-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
"shorted" means short circuited to, or otherwise electrically connected to, the lens mount.

there is a sliding switch inside the mount that connects the pin alligning with the third body pin from the lens locking pin (the recessed pin on the body) to the base of the mount. It only connects in the "A" position. . . .
Thanks Lowell: With your help and that of others on this Forum I'm sure I will figure this out. I know this lens works with other Pentax cameras and I know my camera works with other A lenses, so there must be some issue with the electrical contacts of the Adaptall-2 mount.

I will try the glue scraping idea this evening.
02-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #15

I am a big fan of Tamron Adaptall lenses and own quite a few. I also own four PKA adapters. Three of them required some adjustment before they would operate properly - two had the glue problem and one a bent lever.

Once you've fixed them, there should be no further problems.

Mike