Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Review Posted.

I posted the review of this amazing lens in the lens data. I want to encourage the owners of this lens to do the same...especially Voe who was probably the first to have discovered this lens in this forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=537&cat=88

I had a moment of temporary insanity and posted this lens for sale, thank God I came to my senses before it sold. I was frustrated with manual focus with the Vivitar 85/1.4 and decided to sell this MF lens as well, but this lens is easier to focus. I will never ever let go of this lens.....

An snap shot that I just took in my living room to post it along with request for more reviews......PP is CS2

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-06-2009 at 05:55 PM.
06-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Volna-9 is worhty to become a cult lens and it makes me glad to see it appreciated by more people.
06-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
I think wide open the Nokton has smoother bokeh than the Volna-9. I't just the OOF circles where Volna-9 excels. Both lenses have very smooth bokeh.

If you ask me which one is more pleasant to my eyes, it is the Nokton.
The problem with the Volna 9 is that it is not as available compared to the Nokton which produces similar results. Plus, the nokton is much sharper and can go wider at f/1.4 for a smoother bokeh.

Voe: Please correct me if the above has changed lately.

To the Volna's credit, it's only 1/4 of the price of a Nokton.
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexJ Quote
The problem with the Volna 9 is that it is not as available compared to the Nokton which produces similar results. Plus, the nokton is much sharper and can go wider at f/1.4 for a smoother bokeh.

Voe: Please correct me if the above has changed lately.

To the Volna's credit, it's only 1/4 of the price of a Nokton.
I was comparing lenses from my collection of 50-58's in lots of close focus bokeh highlight tests and the nokton was closer to the volna-9 than any other lens, but the bokeh of the volna always came out better regardless of the fact that it is put against an f/1.4 lens. Where the volna excels is the OOF highlight circles.

I posted a comparison some time ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34920-volna-9-...kton-58mm.html

BTW, Nokton is based on Topcor 58mm f/1.4. I also compared these two lenses and to me Topcor has slightly better bokeh.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43939-voigtlan...nterested.html

06-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
I was comparing lenses from my collection of 50-58's in lots of close focus bokeh highlight tests and the nokton was closer to the volna-9 than any other lens, but the bokeh of the volna always came out better regardless of the fact that it is put against an f/1.4 lens. Where the volna excels is the OOF highlight circles.

I posted a comparison some time ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34920-volna-9-...kton-58mm.html

BTW, Nokton is based on Topcor 58mm f/1.4. I also compared these two lenses and to me Topcor has slightly better bokeh.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43939-voigtlan...nterested.html
The Nokton is stunningly sharp and the Volna sharpens up when stopped down, but the highlight bokeh loses that circular shape...so it is a give and take. With no reflections, like the shot I posted last, the lens can be stopped down to gain sharpness and still deliver that creamy bokeh. It is indeed a cult lens....

P.S: Voe, I don't know whether you missed my post above, but I have posted pictures of the lens in the review section and posted the first review. You may want to do the same.