Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Fortunately, I already have a Genuine Pentax adapter. I was buying the generic version with the intent of doing a permanent conversion of my Jupiter-9. After this initial experience, I don't want to let the thing near any of my cameras. Even with the spring removed, the fit is substandard.

Steve
Good thinking! Out of 2 brands of 3rd party adapters that I have tried on modification, the Bower seem to be the better one as I get the screw mount lens to line up correctly in mounting. Unknown brand of 3rd party adapters that carry the wording as in M42-Pentax K/M Japan, I would not use it even if it is free. They have bad machining on the metal threads with noticeable scraps just upon mounting and dismounting. And one of those jam the lens even without the screw and locking spring plate. The machining on the threaded screw is the culprits of many panic moments for sure.

Avoid the one on left
wording: M42-Pentax K/M Japan
branding: unknow

Pentax Genuine adapter on right
'Ashai Pentax' on top
'Japan' on bottom

Last edited by hinman; 02-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.
02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Good thinking! Out of 2 brands of 3rd party adapters that I have tried on modification, the Bower seem to be the better one as I get the screw mount lens to line up correctly in mounting. Unknown brand of 3rd party adapters that carry the wording as in M42-Pentax K/M Japan, I would not use it even if it is free. They have bad machining on the metal threads with noticeable scraps just upon mounting and dismounting. And one of those jam the lens even without the screw and locking spring plate. The machining on the threaded screw is the culprits of many panic moments for sure.

Avoid the one on left
wording: M42-Pentax K/M Japan
branding: unknow

Pentax Genuine adapter on right
'Ashai Pentax' on top
'Japan' on bottom

The one I received looked just like the one you describe. While I was trying to extract it, I noticed metal filings falling onto the mirror of the XR-2s. Wonderful, just wonderful...

Steve
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

And for the completeness of this thread, here are few pictures that I took before on the genuine adapters that I was fortunate to possess and later sold three in Marketplace to share the good things with others. I sold them for $20 to $25 a piece. And of course, I kept one copy for myself. I should have kept extra copies so that I can afford to make my buddies in this forum happy.

Genuine Pentax Adapters

#1 my own copy
top: Asahi Pentax
bottom: Japan

It maybe the latest
Bottom side is all black to avoid internal reflection
Best one I have seen
top: Pentax
bottom: Japan

probably the oldest version
top: Body Mount PK Pentax
bottom: nothing

Please note the green packet on the last picture, new one comes with green package. Please avoid fake copies and buy it from known sources
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Banned

when did they start painting the underside black? can you take a photo of that?

02-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
when did they start painting the underside black? can you take a photo of that?
I sold that copy already. I wish I took a picture of it. It's back side is really blackened in color. And I think the black color does serve the unique purpose in minimizing the slim chance of internal reflection.