Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax choices make me feel miserable...

Well, I feel angry because Nikon prime choices is horrible and surely needs an update. Nikon cameras suck in terms of midtones and that is why I own a Fuji S5Pro. While I love The Fuli indoors and for portraits, I donīt like it that much outdoors and for candids.
So I want Pentax... but I feel lost and miserable... this time by the exact oposite feeling... so many choices!
I canīt decide myself between the K20D, K200D and K2000.
Worst I canīt decide between the FA Limited and the DA limited.
Reading about all those only confused me even more.

I just wanted a camera with better resolution and good colors outside (which all delivers) and some limited especially in the 40/50mm and 70/80mm, which between DA and FA have worldclass options... especially with the eternal DA40 VS FA43 and DA70 VS FA77 debates.
I wanted to order a few days ago but keep postponing the decising moment since I change my mind every 5 seconds.
Sometimes a particular set seems best suited to me and sometimes some other set.
Anyway... how do you guys manage to be so sure of your choices? Iīm all over the place at this point and just canīt order because Iīm not abble to make up my mind!!!
Sorry for this thread with no particular purpose... I guess I just wanted to release my frustration.

02-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
Well, I feel angry because Nikon prime choices is horrible and surely needs an update. Nikon cameras suck in terms of midtones and that is why I own a Fuji S5Pro. While I love The Fuli indoors and for portraits, I donīt like it that much outdoors and for candids.
So I want Pentax... but I feel lost and miserable... this time by the exact oposite feeling... so many choices!

I just wanted a camera with better resolution and good colors outside (which all delivers) and some limited especially in the 40/50mm and 70/80mm, which between DA and FA have worldclass options... especially with the eternal DA40 VS FA43 and DA70 VS FA77 debates.
I wanted to order a few days ago but keep postponing the decising moment since I change my mind every 5 seconds.
Sometimes a particular set seems best suited to me and sometimes some other set.
Anyway... how do you guys manage to be so sure of your choices? Iīm all over the place at this point and just canīt order because Iīm not abble to make up my mind!!!
Sorry for this thread with no particular purpose... I guess I just wanted to release my frustration.
Luckily, I've done the work for you already.

Order the K20D + 43 limited + 77 limited. To start with. Just do it. Can literally not go wrong.

You're welcome!

02-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I feel angry [...] So I want Pentax... but I feel lost and miserable... this time by the exact oposite feeling... so many choices!
Cue The Twilight Zone music.

02-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

To tell you the truth we all feel or have felt the same way... and I think nobody manage to be sure of their choices everybody buy and sell, test and compare, because if you move at that level (between Limiteds) you can not go wrong (and in case you change your mind later you will have no real problems to sell those lenses), differences are minimal between DA and FA optically speaking (hope somebody can correct me if I am wrong) and basically differences are confortability and ability to use them in APS-C sensors or FF...

Hope that helps.

02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Order the K20D + 43 limited + 77 limited. To start with. Just do it. Can literally not go wrong.

You're welcome!

Like he said: K200D, FA 35/2 or DA 40/2.8 limited, and DA 70mm limited. Oops...

Seriously though, you've just got to make your own choice and jump in. Worst case scenario, if you end up having second thoughts about a purchase, there is a very good market (as you can see from the marketplace here or ebay) for Pentax cameras and lenses. I can tell you, when it came time for me to choose between the DA 40 and FA 43, and DA 70 and FA 77, amongst the other lenses available, it was very tough.

After making the choices I did, I have absolutely no regrets performance-wise, but don't think I am without second thoughts or desires for the FA limiteds. But with the DA 40/70, I have incredibly compact lenses, outstanding performance, very quick AF (I shoot mostly AF), and spent less. Works for me (for now at least).

Good luck.
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #6

... and between bodies I have no doubt: K20D!!

:ugh:
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't go wrong with any of those choices, but . . .

You're welcome!

What he said - because when it comes to image quality,

Jay is NEVER wrong.

(And if he is, he just sells to one of three people here and gets something else)

OBTW, Jay is serious - you can't go wrong with the K20D and the FA Limiteds.

02-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote

There is a man in my live view!!!!

02-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #9

Might as well go all out and get the FA 31mm ltd already.
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know that feeling. Anticipation and eager waiting are part of the game...

Considering the DA40/DA70 versus FA43/FA77 you have a good example, where you may buy finally all of them. The two DAs are slow (in my opinion), the FAs fast. The DAs are small and unobtrusive, the FA bigger and easily noticed. The image quality is there with any of these choices.

So you need to make your preferences: small, lightweight and conspirative against, bigger, heavier and ideal for low light work or very shallow depth of field.

I know, how I decided...

Ben
02-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I completely and utterly agree.
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

[...]

We have all been there (and rarely leave).

The most important point you must realize is:
_EVENTUALLY_ YOU WILL HAVE WAY MORE LENSES THAN YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEED. This is inevitable.

Once you accept that this is your destiny, then starting-point of your journey is irrelevant. The sooner you start the journey, then the faster you will get to your destination.

In other words, it doesn't matter which is your first lens because very quickly you will get more and more and more. The sooner you get the first lens, then the sooner you will get the rest of the lenses!

The second most important point is:
IF YOU CANNOT DECIDE BETWEEN TWO THINGS, THEN IT MEANS THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG CHOICE. EACH CHOICE IS RIGHT IN IT'S OWN WAY.

Once you realize this, you will be freed from the prison-of-indecision. Instead of worrying about being wrong, you should be excited at the many opportunities to be right.

The worst possibility is that you find a particular lens or body is not suitable for you. You still know something after that experience. You will know that it is not for you. The old idiom is: it's better to try and fail, than to never try at all.

The third point is:
PENTAX LENSES ARE MADE FROM A SPECIAL ALLOY OF RABBITS AND ATOMS: THEY MULTIPLY...BUT ARE NEVER DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFERRED TO A NEW STATE (or city, or house, to a new owner).

Ok, ok, that's an exaggeration.

But Pentax lenses mostly age in a good way, like wine.
On the other hand, Pentax bodies mostly age like milk. Occasionally there is a nice blue-cheese model, but most just turn sour.

Therefore, you should weight your decision towards lenses rather than bodies.
02-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
There is a man in my live view!!!!
You two just made my afternoon! That was awesome.
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
We have all been there (and rarely leave).

The most important point you must realize is:
_EVENTUALLY_ YOU WILL HAVE WAY MORE LENSES THAN YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEED. This is inevitable.

This is so true! In three months I've got LBA, two bodies and six lenses

The second most important point is:
IF YOU CANNOT DECIDE BETWEEN TWO THINGS, THEN IT MEANS THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG CHOICE. EACH CHOICE IS RIGHT IN IT'S OWN WAY.

Yes, go for it! I have a very good opinion also on FA 50 f: 1,4

The third point is:
PENTAX LENSES ARE MADE FROM A SPECIAL ALLOY OF RABBITS AND ATOMS: THEY MULTIPLY...BUT ARE NEVER DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFERRED TO A NEW STATE (or city, or house, to a new owner).

Dave, you almost killed me

Ok, ok, that's an exaggeration.

But Pentax lenses mostly age in a good way, like wine.
On the other hand, Pentax bodies mostly age like milk. Occasionally there is a nice blue-cheese model, but most just turn sour.

Therefore, you should weight your decision towards lenses rather than bodies.
The price you will pay for lenses will dwarf the price of the body (es)
Eventually, you may focus on buying mostly lenses that work on Full Frame.
I (mostly because what I read on the forum), take more and more film photos.

Welcome to the magical (lantern) of Pentax and LBA!

Last edited by octavmandru; 02-26-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: aspect
02-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for bodies it's K20, no-brainer, period....
for DA vs FA... regarding IQ id doesn't really matter, they are all excellent lenses and you can built nice setup. Idealy:
DA15 (when it comes out)
DA21
FA31
FA43
DA70
those five with K20, oh boy I wish I could...
BR