Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
could be cost issue, maybe patent issue?
That makes sense. Micromotor seems much less mechanically efficient than the screw drive since a screw drive system is not torque and size limited to the same degree. I guess people want quieter focus. Maybe it is just me, but I really don't find the screw drive to be very loud. It is certainly more quiet than the shutter.

02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT / NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Is it a cost issue? Why is Pentax SDM micromotor instead of ring?

It seems like back compatibility is one major reason: they wanted the older bodies to be able to use the DA* lenses...
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteQuote:
It is certainly more quiet than the shutter.
what good is SDM if your shutter slap is the loudest part?!
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
I know it's subjective, but I think the AF system of my K20D functions better (meaning I actually achieve focus) with the DA* than it did with the FA 50mm in poor lighting conditions.
I'm not surprised. Cameras use the lenses wide open when focusing. The FA50/1.4 is pretty soft wide open so it doesn't have much contrast. If the DA*55 has more contrast like it looks like it does, it'll lock faster...

That said, 3x slower than an FA*85? yow...slug...

02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
sharko's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: City of Angels
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 278
Does anyone have a video comparing the two?
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Disclaimer: This is a test by a layman, who does not really know what he is doing.

Pentax DA55 and FA50 - a comparison

performed by blende8
"performed in audacity" BTW, the DA* 55 is supposed to be a quiet lens.

I wonder whether he performed a comparison between the AF speed of his DA* 55 and his Nokton.
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what good is SDM if your shutter slap is the loudest part?!
Huh? I thought the mirror slap was the loudest. In any case, after you take your shot it really doesn't matter if your subject turns his/her/its head due to this aforementioned thunderous explosion. With the dentist drill FA's and non-SDM DAs, you can frighten a polar bear.
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MT
Posts: 1,077
Can't help but point it out...
ftpaddict, just who are the "measurebaters" in this thread?
Original post is simply a notice regarding someone doing a test.
K100d simply provided a link
Seamuis--you already granted clemency as a non-measurebater
dkittle replied with his experience regarding the lens in question
and then there is my post...heck, I can't even spell post processing and if you asked me to provide a 100% crop, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it. I did mention bokeh, but not nearly as much as you do on your website. The CA and fringing comments tie back to the test threads. I've personally never seen CA and I own many FA* lenses that are purported to have it...I suppose if I knew how to do 100% crops I'd understand more?
So the measurebater comment and comparisons to ricehigh must just be fun words for you to say? Fun comments to make? Not sure why you like to pick fights, but it would probably be in your best interests to clarify who is the measurebater. I suspect you really mean the folks who have done the tests, rather than the folks who are posting in this thread?
In reality, when a new lens comes out, virtually everyone wants to know how it compares. I suggest you go buy the lens and do a comparison for everyone on this forum without doing any measuring...
Just letting you know that calling people names--especially innaccurate names--makes you look antagonistic just like ricehigh.

02-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Can't help but point it out...
ftpaddict, just who are the "measurebaters" in this thread?
Original post is simply a notice regarding someone doing a test.
K100d simply provided a link
Seamuis--you already granted clemency as a non-measurebater
dkittle replied with his experience regarding the lens in question
and then there is my post...heck, I can't even spell post processing and if you asked me to provide a 100% crop, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it. I did mention bokeh, but not nearly as much as you do on your website. The CA and fringing comments tie back to the test threads. I've personally never seen CA and I own many FA* lenses that are purported to have it...I suppose if I knew how to do 100% crops I'd understand more?
So the measurebater comment and comparisons to ricehigh must just be fun words for you to say? Fun comments to make? Not sure why you like to pick fights, but it would probably be in your best interests to clarify who is the measurebater. I suspect you really mean the folks who have done the tests, rather than the folks who are posting in this thread?
In reality, when a new lens comes out, virtually everyone wants to know how it compares. I suggest you go buy the lens and do a comparison for everyone on this forum without doing any measuring...
Just letting you know that calling people names--especially innaccurate names--makes you look antagonistic just like ricehigh.
Ron, if I can give you my advice I say: don't bother, he's not worth your time.

Radu
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MT
Posts: 1,077
Thanks for the tip...sometimes I forget that when you roll around in the mud with a pig, it takes a while to realize that the pig actually likes it!

I'm anxiously awaiting his own evaluation and comparison with all prior Pentax products without using any type of measurement. It should be pretty interesting.
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Thanks for the tip...sometimes I forget that when you roll around in the mud with a pig, it takes a while to realize that the pig actually likes it!

I'm anxiously awaiting his own evaluation and comparison with all prior Pentax products without using any type of measurement. It should be pretty interesting.
Ron, to compare a lens you don't have to many other you never had all mounted on a camera that you never seen outside a shop is an exercise of imagination not a measurement. so I won't hold my breath for his "analysis".

Regards and please take my advice ... don't waste anymore time!
Radu
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da55, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you consider slower lenses for your K5? LesMizzell Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-07-2010 05:45 PM
How much slower is the K20D's AF speed? LeDave Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 07-01-2009 04:04 AM
Slower Than Molasses! Ballyclogh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 01-28-2009 07:21 PM
Is the PZ-1 Really Slower than the PZ-1P? felix68 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 04-21-2008 06:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top