Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
could be cost issue, maybe patent issue?
That makes sense. Micromotor seems much less mechanically efficient than the screw drive since a screw drive system is not torque and size limited to the same degree. I guess people want quieter focus. Maybe it is just me, but I really don't find the screw drive to be very loud. It is certainly more quiet than the shutter.

02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Is it a cost issue? Why is Pentax SDM micromotor instead of ring?

It seems like back compatibility is one major reason: they wanted the older bodies to be able to use the DA* lenses...
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteQuote:
It is certainly more quiet than the shutter.
what good is SDM if your shutter slap is the loudest part?!
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
I know it's subjective, but I think the AF system of my K20D functions better (meaning I actually achieve focus) with the DA* than it did with the FA 50mm in poor lighting conditions.
I'm not surprised. Cameras use the lenses wide open when focusing. The FA50/1.4 is pretty soft wide open so it doesn't have much contrast. If the DA*55 has more contrast like it looks like it does, it'll lock faster...

That said, 3x slower than an FA*85? yow...slug...

02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #20

Does anyone have a video comparing the two?
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Disclaimer: This is a test by a layman, who does not really know what he is doing.

Pentax DA55 and FA50 - a comparison

performed by blende8
"performed in audacity" BTW, the DA* 55 is supposed to be a quiet lens.

I wonder whether he performed a comparison between the AF speed of his DA* 55 and his Nokton.
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what good is SDM if your shutter slap is the loudest part?!
Huh? I thought the mirror slap was the loudest. In any case, after you take your shot it really doesn't matter if your subject turns his/her/its head due to this aforementioned thunderous explosion. With the dentist drill FA's and non-SDM DAs, you can frighten a polar bear.

02-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't help but point it out...
ftpaddict, just who are the "measurebaters" in this thread?
Original post is simply a notice regarding someone doing a test.
K100d simply provided a link
Seamuis--you already granted clemency as a non-measurebater
dkittle replied with his experience regarding the lens in question
and then there is my post...heck, I can't even spell post processing and if you asked me to provide a 100% crop, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it. I did mention bokeh, but not nearly as much as you do on your website. The CA and fringing comments tie back to the test threads. I've personally never seen CA and I own many FA* lenses that are purported to have it...I suppose if I knew how to do 100% crops I'd understand more?
So the measurebater comment and comparisons to ricehigh must just be fun words for you to say? Fun comments to make? Not sure why you like to pick fights, but it would probably be in your best interests to clarify who is the measurebater. I suspect you really mean the folks who have done the tests, rather than the folks who are posting in this thread?
In reality, when a new lens comes out, virtually everyone wants to know how it compares. I suggest you go buy the lens and do a comparison for everyone on this forum without doing any measuring...
Just letting you know that calling people names--especially innaccurate names--makes you look antagonistic just like ricehigh.
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Can't help but point it out...
ftpaddict, just who are the "measurebaters" in this thread?
Original post is simply a notice regarding someone doing a test.
K100d simply provided a link
Seamuis--you already granted clemency as a non-measurebater
dkittle replied with his experience regarding the lens in question
and then there is my post...heck, I can't even spell post processing and if you asked me to provide a 100% crop, I wouldn't have any idea how to do it. I did mention bokeh, but not nearly as much as you do on your website. The CA and fringing comments tie back to the test threads. I've personally never seen CA and I own many FA* lenses that are purported to have it...I suppose if I knew how to do 100% crops I'd understand more?
So the measurebater comment and comparisons to ricehigh must just be fun words for you to say? Fun comments to make? Not sure why you like to pick fights, but it would probably be in your best interests to clarify who is the measurebater. I suspect you really mean the folks who have done the tests, rather than the folks who are posting in this thread?
In reality, when a new lens comes out, virtually everyone wants to know how it compares. I suggest you go buy the lens and do a comparison for everyone on this forum without doing any measuring...
Just letting you know that calling people names--especially innaccurate names--makes you look antagonistic just like ricehigh.
Ron, if I can give you my advice I say: don't bother, he's not worth your time.

Radu
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip...sometimes I forget that when you roll around in the mud with a pig, it takes a while to realize that the pig actually likes it!

I'm anxiously awaiting his own evaluation and comparison with all prior Pentax products without using any type of measurement. It should be pretty interesting.
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Thanks for the tip...sometimes I forget that when you roll around in the mud with a pig, it takes a while to realize that the pig actually likes it!

I'm anxiously awaiting his own evaluation and comparison with all prior Pentax products without using any type of measurement. It should be pretty interesting.
Ron, to compare a lens you don't have to many other you never had all mounted on a camera that you never seen outside a shop is an exercise of imagination not a measurement. so I won't hold my breath for his "analysis".

Regards and please take my advice ... don't waste anymore time!
Radu