Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

What Does The Asterisk Stand For? I.g. Pentax A* 200mm f. 2.8

I'm, unfortunately, going to be posting some random questions as I'm doing a bunch of research on bodies, lenses, etc. Just bought my first film SLR and as I go through the web pages, somethings I come across can't be found on Google or through the search function on the forums.

So...what does the asterisk denote when it's used in a lens name? The example I read is what's in the title: Pentax A* 200mm f. 2.8.
This was mentioned in the Photo.net Favorite Lens thread. The poster says "that asterisk matters" and my curiosity was piqued.

Thanks for any info.

02-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

* is like a higher grade like canon's L
02-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
I had a feeling that was it. I'm guessing they demand a much higher price and are a rare item. How are they differentiated from other lenses? Say if I stumble upon one when I'm trolling through NYC's second hand and pawn shops? Thanks for the quick reply.
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

pentax have two labels for higher end lenses
star *
or
Limited
I am not sure why some limited and some stars I bet some one here knows.
but yes both star lenses or limited lenses are superior and more expensive. and in Pentax cases unfortunately could also mean rare lenses.
the current line of pentax lenses are DA lenses you can find DA* and DA ltd new at most stores that sells pentax gear.
older lenses FA , F, A , M will be much much harder and some time impossible to find.
you could find some here in the forum or in eBay. used and very expensive.

my wish is that pentax will remake their good film lenses. I guess if we will ever see a FF pentax these lens will be back

02-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
I would hope someone would recognize that there's a market for good quality, reasonably priced lens for the older Pentax bodies. What do you mean by FF? Couldn't figure out the abbreviation. Thanks for the reply.
02-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brandontowey Quote
What do you mean by FF? Couldn't figure out the abbreviation.
FF - Full Frame, size of 35mm film frame (2436mm).
that's opposed to APS-C-sized digital sensors in current pentax camera lineup - one third smaller than FF.
02-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

* = expensive $$$$
02-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
What the * is this?

Oops! Edit due to incorrect original blurb by me. Higher performance etc. Full info on Pentax lens terminology at Bojidar Dimitrov's site

Last edited by gowerray; 02-26-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Wrong info
02-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The * also marks Pentax's finest digital cameras, like mine.
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So what is the differences between * and Ltd?
is it weather resistant?
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
So what is the differences between * and Ltd?
is it weather resistant?
*'s are high grade lenses that feature the latest features, whether they be exotic glass elements, special autofocus/power zoom, weather sealing, or whatever. Covered anything from wide angle primes to telephoto zooms, and have existed from the M series on.

limiteds have traditionally been small, unique (and quality) autofocus prime lenses with amazing all-metal craftsmanship that reminds people of the build quality from decades ago. They were introduced in the late 90's as an 'FA' lens, now there will be 5 'DA' lenses for digital.
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
*'s are high grade lenses that feature the latest features, whether they be exotic glass elements, special autofocus/power zoom, weather sealing, or whatever. Covered anything from wide angle primes to telephoto zooms, and have existed from the M series on.

limiteds have traditionally been small, unique (and quality) autofocus prime lenses with amazing all-metal craftsmanship that reminds people of the build quality from decades ago. They were introduced in the late 90's as an 'FA' lens, now there will be 5 'DA' lenses for digital.
I see!! thank you for that
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The * means there's a manufacturing problem with the lens, like a factory second. If you get one, you should immediately send it to me for proper disposal.