Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any 645 lens users here?

I recently shot my Grandson's senior photos and for a few shots used some of my 645 Pentax lenses on my K20D. I love these lenses, the great build quality and the fine IQ, but do find them hard to use with the 540 or 360 flash in a timely manner. It takes several shots to get the exposure right, and this causes a big pause in the action. Is there any advice anyone might give for flash settings when using the 645 lenses? Any tips that might speed up the action or give better results?
I really love these lenses, and plan on owning more of them in the future. Currently I have the 120 Macro, 45-85, and the 200 in the "A" models.

While I am here, what is the procedure for posting a photo in this thread, if I were to want to do such?
Thanks!
Rupert

02-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The moderators have banned tham all!

As I understand it, any "adapted" lens or basic K mount would have the same flash issues because the lenses share about the same level of camera function. Flash is still a mystery to me even with tried-and-true TTL and AF lenses. I haven't tried doing it manually. You might try the Camera Accessories section instead. Here's a thread on 6x7 lenses, I think similar to the 645 lens usage, just with another adapter and even bigger:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49428-medium-f...20-sensor.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
While I am here, what is the procedure for posting a photo in this thread, if I were to want to do such?
Thanks!
Rupert
There are a bunch of icons above the message composition window. One of them looks like a little mountain with a yellow sky background. Click on that, a box pops up, and paste your URL in there. Like this great squirrel photo of yours:

When you do it yourself, you'll see that the forum software simply adds HTML tags to the URL. You can type them yourself and feel like a web developer.
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave!

I will follow up on those threads, and thanks for the info on posting a photo too. Flash is indeed a mystery to me too, unless using PTTL where I find it to be amazingly accurate most of the time.
I will also practice more with the 540 or 360 and the 645 lenses, something I had done little before I used them the other day.
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I find my AF540 works best in A mode. I've given up on P-TTL. Just set flash to A mode, set the ISO and aperture, set the camera to match (remember to set a safe shutter speed, you can also vary aperture slightly to obtain desired result) and away you go...