Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for Lens

I am going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in a week and would like to take low-light indoor shots while there. I would like a really good lens for my Pentax K20D, something that is fast (focusing), sharp and can work in low-light without flash (flash can cause issues with some of the sea critters.)

What would you recommend. I would like to spend as little as possible and would like to carry just one lens. A nice modest zoom range would be nice. Wide to...

I currently have a Pentax 18-250, 10-17, 18-55, 50 1.4 and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Barnett; 02-26-2009 at 08:59 PM.
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sure that the lens choice depends on the set up of the aquarium.

According to my limited experience in aquarium shooting, flash is no no. I would have picked 10-17 if there is ever going to be a water tunnel with rays or sharks swimming above your head. 50/1.4 is useful if any kind of fish will be closer to the glass in the aquarium.

The rest of the lenses will have limited use...
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hazard that your Sigma 18-55/2.8 might be a good bet, though much depends upon the shot. Hinman had a series of pictures that he took there and if memory serves me correct, he was shooting with the Tokina 19-35 and a 50/1.4. One other thing to consider is that there are things (seals and stuff) outside as well.

While you are at Monterey, you should remember that Carmel is just over the hill and Point Lobos (haunt of Edward Weston) is just a little past that and all the glory of Big Sur from there south! Wonderful country for photography!

Steve
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What about...

What about the 18-50 Sigma. Is 2.8 fast enough for low light? That and the macro feature is why I bought it, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I know the 1.4 is probably best but I am worried about depth of field.

Since a tripod is a no go even if they allowed it I am going to be pushing my mom in a wheel chair so I need to keep things light weight.

Robert

02-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Barnett Quote
I am going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in a week and would like to take low-light indoor shots while there. I would like a really good lens for my Pentax K20D, something that is fast (focusing), sharp and can work in low-light without flash (flash can cause issues with some of the sea critters.)

What would you recommend. I would like to spend as little as possible and would like to carry just one lens. A nice modest zoom range would be nice. Wide to...

I currently have a Pentax 18-250, 10-17, 18-55, 50 1.4 and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

Robert
You already have the lens. (Hint: It's not a Pentax). Why buy another, unless yours is a bad one?
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not much to add about lenses, but a circular polarizer is great for reducing reflections in the glass.
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is...

That is what I was hoping the Sigman 18-50 f2.8. I guess I am going to have try it out before I go and make sure I know what I am doing.

Robert
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Not much to add about lenses, but a circular polarizer is great for reducing reflections in the glass.
Reflections at Monterey are not a huge issue. The viewing areas are very dimly lit and many of the glass surfaces on the well-lit tanks are curved. The trick is to get right up on the glass.

Steve

02-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Barnett Quote
What about the 18-50 Sigma. Is 2.8 fast enough for low light?
In reality, f2.8 is too dark inside aquarium. Bear in mind that fish are really agile and constantly moving. This is why I did not recommend the zoom at all. In fact, you will end up bringing the lens to aquarium to test it out yourself in the end

Seeing is believing.