Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The pictures look good but going by the amount of cropping involved, it unfortunately gives the wrong idea of the macro capabiliites of the DA 40mm + close up attachments. The crops reinforce just how good the K20D's sensor's resolution is and the benefit the extra megapixels allow in cropping.

02-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #17
Igilligan

Hey Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Excellent! These look great (although not necessarily much better than the ones with the closeup lenses)!

So what was the working distance, and I wonder how that compares to the the DA35? I would imagine 1:1 on the DA40 would be quite simialr in that respect to 1:1 on the 35. For that matter, I wonder how it compares to the D-FA 50?
The working distance was a whopping 2.5 inches...

They may look similar to the adaptor shots but they are very different at full res. The raynox / sony adaptor shots are already cropped way in, where these have lot more detail and could be cropped a lot more if needed.

I think the thing that makes the raynox and sony adaptor shots look ok is that sensor on the K20d... there is no way to get that level of crop on my k100d without lots of artifacts...
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Igilligan

Absolutely agree...

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The pictures look good but going by the amount of cropping involved, it unfortunately gives the wrong idea of the macro capabiliites of the DA 40mm + close up attachments. The crops reinforce just how good the K20D's sensor's resolution is and the benefit the extra megapixels allow in cropping.

That is why I did put some of the original view shots, before cropping in the posts.
But it does show how decent the two macro adapters are, since the K20 sensor is not completely out resolving the lens with adaptors attached.

The da 40 with ext tube is almost 1:1 though, and it looks very similar to my vivi 105.

But you are absolutely right...
that beautiful sensor on the K20d makes all the macro magic tricks possible.
02-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #19

I have been using my DA40mm with ext tubes for a while.. my set have A contacts.
I really enjoy this combo as it is a very light macro setup compared to my VL 125mm with very high IQ. I have a raynox 250 but never tried it this lens though.

I find that this is the only lens below 50mm I own that is workable with the ext tubes. My 31mm and 16-50mm are too big and need to get too close to the subject.. the DA40mm due to its tiny size allows for some working distance.

Here are some of my samples. None cropped except the last which was rotated and due to that cropped a bit.

Cheers
Shang

02-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Not a macro junkie, but I really enjoy seeing all your images. Seems fun to experiment.
02-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sheesh, thanks a lot guys... I have to go and buy some buy extension tubes now.

haha
02-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #22

Freaking AMAZING !! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.
02-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
Igilligan

WOW Shang...

QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
I have been using my DA40mm with ext tubes for a while.. my set have A contacts.
I really enjoy this combo as it is a very light macro setup compared to my VL 125mm with very high IQ. I have a raynox 250 but never tried it this lens though.

I find that this is the only lens below 50mm I own that is workable with the ext tubes. My 31mm and 16-50mm are too big and need to get too close to the subject.. the DA40mm due to its tiny size allows for some working distance.

Here are some of my samples. None cropped except the last which was rotated and due to that cropped a bit.

Cheers
Shang
Shang, These are incredible... How did you get this close to these bugs? I only had about 2.5 inches of lens to subject distance. I stand and applaud....

02-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #24

Thanks for all your kind words.

I would like to say its my amazing ninja skills but it was more the bugs not moving.
The first fly was dead and the couple of lady bugs were so busy doing the nasty that they don't seem to mind me at all.
Same with the Spider.. so busy sucking the guts out of that fly it couldn't care less what I was doing.

This combo is bot great for skittish bugs but if they are busy/occupied then it can work just great.

Cheers
Shang

Last edited by sychen; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

impressive work
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Gus,
Those are the loveliest staple shots I've ever seen

Seriously, I've got to get myself one of those Raynox adapters. Not only would I use it on the DA55-300, DA21 and FA43, I'd use it with the DFA100. I bet I could get really close up with a Raynox and DFA100.

Heather
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

extreme macro with the 40mm

Nice shots Gus - I stumbled upon this thread the other day but didn't have time to contribute.

Here's one I shot back in 2007 with the 40mm and a full 72mm worth of extension tubes. Working distance was - well, not a lot! I had to be careful not to cast a shadow with the front of the lens onto the salt.

Here's a pic of the tiny lens with ext. tubes attached, not what Pentax engineers imagined I'm sure!
03-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Here's a pic of the tiny lens with ext. tubes attached, not what Pentax engineers imagined I'm sure!
You've turned our dear diminutive DA 40 into a clunker...
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
You've turned our dear diminutive DA 40 into a clunker...
Yes, yes I have.
I thought it was incredibly funny how large our DA40 got with all those extension tubes connected.
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #30
Igilligan

cool shot of the salt...

Now I am gonna have to pull out all the ext tubes and play some more...