Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More samples of the DA* 55/1.4

Mark Dimalanta aka Dimo has posted some samples with the DA*55: chasing light...: Sample shots with the Pentax DA*55 f1.4 & DA 35 f2.8 macro ltd

Looking pretty darn sweet.

Diego

02-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

OK, I don't know what give, but HIS bokeh is much more appealing to me. It's like night and day in comparison to the ones that I've seen from the test shots on here... That just moved up a space in my next lens column.
02-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Mark Dimalanta aka Dimo has posted some samples with the DA*55: chasing light...: Sample shots with the Pentax DA*55 f1.4 & DA 35 f2.8 macro ltd

Looking pretty darn sweet.

Diego
I think i seams like an awsome lens. Don't have a clue why people don't seams to like it.
Good sharpness, nice bokeh, fine colors and whethersealed.
What the hell could you expect more from a lens these days?
Built in shower and 5* hotel or what?
02-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

hey guys,

I was surprised to find out that some people found the lens to have slow AF? I find that a subjective opinion, but from my take the AF is at par with my fastest AF lenses. mine is quick and snappy, not as subtle as the DA 40 pancake, but quick and accurate.

Of course I would have to compare it to my FA 50, but it isnt one of the things that noticed right out of the gates.

usually, the first things that i notice on my initial use make a strong impact. for me, this lens turned out to be perfect out of the box. I'll test it more this weekend, but i know i am gonna love it!

cheers!

ps: Diego, I'll be headin back home in july for my cousin's wedding. gotta hang bro

02-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's great to hear Mark, read your reply on your blog post. Looks like it's performing as good as expected, it's awesome to hear your real confident shooting wide open at f/1.4. I usually stop f/1.4 lenses down to f/2

Awesome news bro, I'll be seeing you on July then!
03-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
I was surprised to find out that some people found the lens to have slow AF? I find that a subjective opinion, but from my take the AF is at par with my fastest AF lenses. mine is quick and snappy, not as subtle as the DA 40 pancake, but quick and accurate.
Of course you have to say that.
Aren't you sponsored by Pentax?

Yesterday we had a user-meeting and we had two DA55 present.
All agreed that the AF is slow.
One owner said that, compared, the DA70 is a rocket.

Compared to the DA Limiteds, or the FA50 and FA85, the DA55 is slow(er).
This is not a subjective opinion, but a fact.
I have measured this.
And I have read several other independent comments on this as well.

It is of course subjective to define what "slow" means.
Perhaps we can agree that it is just "slower" than the above lenses.
Whether this impacts you shooting in a negative way, depends on your subjects and habits.

But I think we should be honest and not sugarcoat facts.
Accurate? Yes. But quick? No.
Optically the lens is very good and I will keep my copy.
03-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM is very smooth and silent. It makes effect of slow AF.
DA*55 is not fast lens, but not 3 times slower than FA50.
A bit slower.

SDM is the most silent in-lens motor in the world.

One remark - DA*55 is faster at K-m.

Last edited by ogl; 03-01-2009 at 07:39 AM.
03-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
SDM is the most silent in-lens motor in the world.
that depends on what type of 'SDM' you are referring to. the micromotor SDM that Pentax uses is much more noisier than the ring type that canon and nikon use in their high end lenses. also much faster because of the mechanics, or rather the lack their of. if you are referring specifically to other micromotors, do you have proof that pentax's is the most silent?

QuoteQuote:
Of course you have to say that.
Aren't you sponsored by Pentax?

Yesterday we had a user-meeting and we had two DA55 present.
All agreed that the AF is slow.
One owner said that, compared, the DA70 is a rocket.

Compared to the DA Limiteds, or the FA50 and FA85, the DA55 is slow(er).
This is not a subjective opinion, but a fact.
I have measured this.
And I have read several other independent comments on this as well.

It is of course subjective to define what "slow" means.
Perhaps we can agree that it is just "slower" than the above lenses.
Whether this impacts you shooting in a negative way, depends on your subjects and habits.

But I think we should be honest and not sugarcoat facts.
Accurate? Yes. But quick? No.
Optically the lens is very good and I will keep my copy.
I don't mean to be rude but your reply reeks of 'butthurt'. Ive said it to many time so far. its unfair to compare the 50 and the 55 in AF speed for benchmark regardless of the 'SDM' of the 55. however when someone who actually real world uses the lens (other than simple measurebation) says the lens has good AF speed, you have to say 'its a fact, that it doesn't cause me and some folks have tested it, and we all agree that it doesn't' give me a break... oh and of course the DA70 will be a 'rocket' its tiny with a short focus throw. jesus does nobody understand the mechanics involved in this?
03-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
One remark - DA*55 is faster at K-m.
After testing a KM, i believe ANY AF will be faster on it than the rest of the line, which is VERY VERY promising for the next gens body to come....

03-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't mean to be rude but your reply reeks of 'butthurt'. Ive said it to many time so far. its unfair to compare the 50 and the 55 in AF speed for benchmark regardless of the 'SDM' of the 55. however when someone who actually real world uses the lens (other than simple measurebation) says the lens has good AF speed, you have to say 'its a fact, that it doesn't cause me and some folks have tested it, and we all agree that it doesn't' give me a break... oh and of course the DA70 will be a 'rocket' its tiny with a short focus throw. jesus does nobody understand the mechanics involved in this?
i don't see why you have been so adamant against his tests. why is it unfair to compare the 50 and 55, or the 85 which is in the same 'class' of design? it's not like pentaxes focus super quick (or accurate) to begin with anyways. we already set the bar lower for pentax already. almost everyone (except mark) who has the lens says it is at least slower than the FA50.
03-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
After testing a KM, i believe ANY AF will be faster on it than the rest of the line, which is VERY VERY promising for the next gens body to come....

Yeah, the little K-M had a mighty AF system. Good things may be coming further up the line.
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

like i said in an earlier post, the AF speed wasn't a concern for me because it didn't appear to be such a defining component. I wasn't evading an obvious truth either because I hadn't taken the time to put the FA 50 vs DA*55 head to head, but to quell any misconceptions and after taking a test spin on each one last night, the FA 50 does lock focus faster than the DA*55.

Each has its own strengths and weakness. The FA50 is the best bang for your buck 50 on the market across all makes. a little soft wide open but tack sharp when stopped down.

However, when you want Premium performance optically, the DA* with accurate AF, Weathersealing, SDM silence, quickshift, and consistent sharpness on target at f1.4 make this lens in a class by itself and isn't meant to be compared as equals.

Each lens has its own user group, and each shooter will be happy with their respective lens choice FA 50 1.4 or DA* 55 f1.4.

I just shot kid portraits on the beach, with the 2 year old kicking water and sand all over me and my k20 and DA*55. I didn't bother to flinch because the weathersealed combo makes life easier.

To each his own, and when the verdict is out this lens may prove to be one of Pentax's greatest.
03-02-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i don't see why you have been so adamant against his tests. why is it unfair to compare the 50 and 55, or the 85 which is in the same 'class' of design? it's not like pentaxes focus super quick (or accurate) to begin with anyways. we already set the bar lower for pentax already. almost everyone (except mark) who has the lens says it is at least slower than the FA50.
because he is pitting the two head to head simply because they are both normal primes. compare it against the 85, fine that's more fair. butt he DA 50 is a smaller, lighter lens with less elements. the 55 isn't meant to replace the 50 its meant to replace the A, FA 85. the 55 is more closely related to these than it is the 50. so why test it against the 50 and say its slow? it may be slower mechanically than the say the FA 85 but regardless of the results comparing it to the 50 is unfair.
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
TKH
Veteran Member

Fun @f2.0:

Rainer
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
because he is pitting the two head to head simply because they are both normal primes. compare it against the 85, fine that's more fair. butt he DA 50 is a smaller, lighter lens with less elements. the 55 isn't meant to replace the 50 its meant to replace the A, FA 85. the 55 is more closely related to these than it is the 50. so why test it against the 50 and say its slow? it may be slower mechanically than the say the FA 85 but regardless of the results comparing it to the 50 is unfair.
a lens being heavier is not an excuse to have slow autofocus.