Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 152
Tax Return Money....need.....to......suffice......LBA

So I am a full time student so I get all of my tax money paid in back. While it isn't a ton of money compared to what some get back, its enought to allow me to buy my first "really nice" lens. I just can't decide if I want to buy a couple nice primes (DA 35mm and DA 70mm) I already have the FA 50mm 1.4 so thats why I wasn't sure about the DA 40mm. OR I was thinking about selling the FA 50mm and getting the DA 50-135mm and maybe another zoom to cover the wide angle to about 45 or 50mm(whats a good lens to cover that range that isn't super expensive?) Thanks for any comments, opinions or info.

02-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
Just bought my first Ltd... a 35mm macro... but I haven't gotten it yet. It was between that one and the 40mm, and I decided the extra 5mm and the macro function set it apart enough from my FA 50mm f/1.4 to make it worth it. In theory.
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
So I am a full time student so I get all of my tax money paid in back. While it isn't a ton of money compared to what some get back, its enought to allow me to buy my first "really nice" lens. I just can't decide if I want to buy a couple nice primes (DA 35mm and DA 70mm) I already have the FA 50mm 1.4 so thats why I wasn't sure about the DA 40mm. OR I was thinking about selling the FA 50mm and getting the DA 50-135mm and maybe another zoom to cover the wide angle to about 45 or 50mm(whats a good lens to cover that range that isn't super expensive?) Thanks for any comments, opinions or info.
Don't know how much exactly you're getting back, but I'll certainly help you spend it.

DA 50-135 2.8 + DA 16-45 f/4 (about $260 new from prodigital2000, $200-$240 used.)

DA 35ltd 2.8 ($360 from prodigital) + FA 77ltd 1.8 ($550 or so)

FA 35 f/2 ($230 - $280) + DA 70 2.4

Tamron 70-200 2.8 9 ($650 new) + Tamron 28-75 2.8 ($275 used) + keep your FA 50 for low-light

Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($350 or so) + Tamron 70-200 2.8

You didn't say if you're willing to get Mf lenses - if so, your options expand exponentially.

Have fun, and thank you for doing your part to stimulate the economy!


.
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 152
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Don't know how much exactly you're getting back, but I'll certainly help you spend it.

DA 50-135 2.8 + DA 16-45 f/4 (about $260 new from prodigital2000, $200-$240 used.)

DA 35ltd 2.8 ($360 from prodigital) + FA 77ltd 1.8 ($550 or so)

FA 35 f/2 ($230 - $280) + DA 70 2.4

Tamron 70-200 2.8 9 ($650 new) + Tamron 28-75 2.8 ($275 used) + keep your FA 50 for low-light

Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($350 or so) + Tamron 70-200 2.8

You didn't say if you're willing to get Mf lenses - if so, your options expand exponentially.
oooo so many great lens combos you put together, I just like the more usability of zooms than primes (I just like to change focal length without having to switch the lens)

How do the DA 16-45 and Tamron 17-50mm compare. I really like shooting wide so this would a plus to have a solid lens down in this range


or to through another curve ball in there I could sell my k110d with kit lens and just keep the k10d and then buy the DA 50-135mm + DA 70mm + Tam 17-50mm or DA 16-45

What to do?!?




QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Have fun, and thank you for doing your part to stimulate the economy!
.

Haha thats how I can con myself into spending it all, I'm just helping out my fellow Americans by stimulating the economy

02-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,139
A full time student and have money left over for LBA? You should be teaching!
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 152
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A full time student and have money left over for LBA? You should be teaching!
Haha...I work and go to school at the same time. But during the summers I have a full time job. So I consider my tax return money a gift to myself for the hard work and what better way could you spend your gift money than on a new lens
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
sharko's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: City of Angels
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 278
Just ask yourself what focal lengths you like to shoot at and which lens will help cover your needs best as a photographer. Buying lenses to suit all types of situations tends to lead to indecision while out shooting if you carry too many and at some point a lens you spent money on is going to just sit on your shelf collecting dust...it may be a great lens but if it doesn't suit your shooting style you'll never use it.
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
How do the DA 16-45 and Tamron 17-50mm compare. I really like shooting wide so this would a plus to have a solid lens down in this range
At f/8 I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between them. I haven't done any rigorous testing and can really only speak from anecdotal evidence after shooting side-by-side with another Pentax shooter at a wedding - he had the 16-45 and I had the 17-50. But you'd be hard pressed to know the difference by looking at the DNGs and I honestly doubt a "normal" human could by looking at prints without prior knowledge or a lot of luck.

17-50 gives you an extra f-stop and 5mm, 16-45 gives you Pentax coatings.

02-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 152
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Just ask yourself what focal lengths you like to shoot at and which lens will help cover your needs best as a photographer. Buying lenses to suit all types of situations tends to lead to indecision while out shooting if you carry too many and at some point a lens you spent money on is going to just sit on your shelf collecting dust...it may be a great lens but if it doesn't suit your shooting style you'll never use it.
True and I find myself using the lower focal range more than anything else, but this could be I have never had a lens as good as the 50-135mm to cover the other focal lengths.


QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
At f/8 I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between them. I haven't done any rigorous testing and can really only speak from anecdotal evidence after shooting side-by-side with another Pentax shooter at a wedding - he had the 16-45 and I had the 17-50. But you'd be hard pressed to know the difference by looking at the DNGs and I honestly doubt a "normal" human could by looking at prints without prior knowledge or a lot of luck.

17-50 gives you an extra f-stop and 5mm, 16-45 gives you Pentax coatings.

Thanks for the info! I think the extra f-stop will help because I seem to shoot a lot indoors. Is there any lens that is even better than these two at covering this focal length( I was thinking 16-50mm but is it worth the money when you can get the tamron for about $200-250 cheaper)
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tri-Cities, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,784
I just picked up the FA 28mm and am quite pleased with the FOV I get with it. Depending on your comfort level with manual focus, I'd even look for a used A 28mm (tried one out at the store the other day and was quite impressed with how sharp it was).

I also had the chance to play with the DA 21mm which looks to be a fine lens for wide angle stuff (possibly eliminating my "need" for a wide zoom).

Just some food for thought.

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
Thanks for any comments, opinions or info.
02-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 818
I haven't tried the other 17/18-50mm 2.8 zooms but the 16-50mm DA* is a great lens. The weather sealing and SDM alone are enough to justify the price to me, not to mention the Pentax color rendition.
02-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
Forum Member
Presto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jacksonville, AL
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I haven't tried the other 17/18-50mm 2.8 zooms but the 16-50mm DA* is a great lens. The weather sealing and SDM alone are enough to justify the price to me, not to mention the Pentax color rendition.
I agree. The 16-50 stays mounted on my camera most of the time. Its quiet, fast, and I don't have to worry about having it out in a sudden rain shower. That's a nice feature to have in Alabama, where the weather can change in minutes. There is a lot of negative feedback on the lens about softness and distortion, but it isn't as bad as it is made out to be. There is a bit of softness in the corners on mine with wide open, but it is gone by f/4. The distortion is not noticeable in most normal circumstances. I think people are taking too many pictures of newspapers, test charts, and brick walls, but that is just my opinion.
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 152
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I just picked up the FA 28mm and am quite pleased with the FOV I get with it. Depending on your comfort level with manual focus, I'd even look for a used A 28mm (tried one out at the store the other day and was quite impressed with how sharp it was).

I also had the chance to play with the DA 21mm which looks to be a fine lens for wide angle stuff (possibly eliminating my "need" for a wide zoom).

Just some food for thought.
Thanks for the info! If I go with a wide angle prime I think I would would want to be down in the 10-20mm, like the DA 14mm, anyone have an opinion on this lens?





Maybe I should go with sigma 10-20mm and da 50-135mm?? maybe add a prime in there at a later date, ahhhhh so many choices






QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I haven't tried the other 17/18-50mm 2.8 zooms but the 16-50mm DA* is a great lens. The weather sealing and SDM alone are enough to justify the price to me, not to mention the Pentax color rendition.
QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
I agree. The 16-50 stays mounted on my camera most of the time. Its quiet, fast, and I don't have to worry about having it out in a sudden rain shower. That's a nice feature to have in Alabama, where the weather can change in minutes. There is a lot of negative feedback on the lens about softness and distortion, but it isn't as bad as it is made out to be. There is a bit of softness in the corners on mine with wide open, but it is gone by f/4. The distortion is not noticeable in most normal circumstances. I think people are taking too many pictures of newspapers, test charts, and brick walls, but that is just my opinion.
I think the most important thing to me is IQ out of the lens I end up buying. I was kind of pushed away from the 16-50mm because of the problems people were having and how it wasn't really up to the standards of how well it should perform.
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
Thanks for the info! If I go with a wide angle prime I think I would would want to be down in the 10-20mm, like the DA 14mm, anyone have an opinion on this lens?
It's a fine lens, however I'd go with the DA 12-24 f/4 - about the same size,
more versatile, and I really don't think you're giving up any IQ vs. the prime.
(prodigital200 has them fairly cheap.)

My main walkabout zooms are the 12-24 & 50-135, with the FA 35 f/2 thrown into
that kit because it's so small, FL fits in between, and is fast.


.
02-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Bramela's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,281
Personally, I think the DA*50-135 would be a great starting point for your considerations. This would be one of the best lenses Pentax has released of late, and is a great walkabout lens. A wider lens to compliment that (16-45) at a later time would make a very versatile and quality combo for you.

Just my 2 cents worth
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, da, fa, k-mount, lens, money, pentax lens, slr lens, tax, tax return
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Aus) Tax return coming up...what camera gears are u getting? raider General Talk 3 06-29-2010 09:33 AM
Moving beyond the basic lenses, which would you choose? Or, spending the tax return mikem Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 02-17-2010 06:50 PM
LBA meets Tax refund... Deimo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 11-24-2009 07:12 PM
LBA: The Limited Strikes Back / Return of the DA Star hamidlmt Post Your Photos! 9 02-22-2009 07:55 AM
Money to fuel my LBA Tyler General Talk 2 09-03-2007 08:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top