Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Well, I think I'm in luck, but I'm not sure:
I placed the lens at infinity to body, and everything looked fine.
Congrats! You have a winner!

QuoteQuote:
BRASS M39 to M42 Adapter Ring for old Zenit Camera Lens ...
M39 to M42 lens SCREW ADAPTER RING to M 39 LEICA ZENIT...
Leica M39 screw lens to Pentax M42 screw mount adapter...
Aside from the material and quality, these are all the same, right?
Yes. Probably. Last year, I bought 5 Chinese adaptors (I think I paid US$12 including shipping) and 10 from a Ukranian source, same price. (Hey, I have too much M39 Russian glass, eh?) The Ukranians are rough-milled from aluminum, pretty junky. The Chinese are sturdier, painted black - doesn't take long for the paint to wear off. I superglued the rings to my M39 lenses for a more secure fit when adding the M42-PK adapters. With a non-flanged M42-PK adapter, I have had zero problems getting any of the M39 Russian glass to focus to infinity.

03-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ryan: The usual reason for M39 or M42 lenses (like the Jupe you mention) not hitting infinity is from using a flanged K-M42 adapter, which pushes the glass out just enough to be shortsighted. Some long teles, like my Spiratone 400/6.3, actually far-focus past infinity, so the flanged adapter corrects that. Flangeless adapters (sometimes labeled INFINITY FOCUS) like those from Pentax and Bower, don't have that problem. Of course, if you're using the Jupiter-9 for portraits, you don't really need infinity, right?
I meant to say...some M39 lenses have a registration distance (from rear lens element to film plane/sensor) shorter than their M42 counterpart. There were M39 lenses which had the same distance as M42 for SLR cameras (Zenit), and I also believe some were made in Leica Thread Mount M39 for Fed or Zorki rangefinder use.

So...basically identical lenses incompatible with different M39 cameras depending on registration distance...or at least that's how I understand it...
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
And Yumpsh (and others), I found quite a few sources on eBay for 39mm to 42mm adaptors, but some of the sellers are specifically mentioning 39mm Leica, where others just say 39mm.

Aside from the material and quality, these are all the same, right?
The adapter is just a piece of metal...as long as the diameter and thread pitch is the same, you're ok.

LTM is 39mm diameter and 26 threads per inch, which is cross-listed on camerpedia as just M39

This is a discussion about Leica rangefinders, so insert [Pentax] and [M39] where required. Hopefully this helps and doesn't confuse...

Edit: Here's what I get out of all this.

Leica Thread Mount or L39 is for rangefinders and will not focus to infinity. If you can focus to infinity by putting the lens up to the camera mount, you need a standard "non-Leica" adapter for M39x1 thread pitch.
03-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, guys! Life is good!

Also good because I pulled the trigger on another Spotty body last night, SPII, 30 bucks.

How could I afford NOT to buy it!?
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old gear at good prices is hard to pass up...congrats and good luck

(I wonder if the mods could split this thread and make a separate one titled "Looking for M39 info" or something like that...if Gooshin doesn't mind the thread pirating, that is )

03-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #35
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 39mm (lens) to 42mm (body) adapter arrived from Hong Kong today--$6.50 total, with free shipping. Took 14 days, but it fits just fine and the lens seems happy.

This new world order is scaring the hell out of me.

And Rio--thanks for the Super Glue idea. Gonna definitely do that tomorrow, because it even loosened a bit when just removing an M42 rear lens cap from it!

Last edited by Ira; 03-27-2009 at 06:34 PM.