Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
emr

Which (if any) filter for a DA* 16-50mm?

I'm seriously itching to get my first star, a DA* 16-50mm lens. However, I'm wondering how good and which kind of a filter should I buy for it - mainly to protect the lens? I know there are several threads about filters and that some people use them and some don't. I once bought a cheap Hoya(?) UV filter without MC for my FA 50mm and it was a complete disaster: terrible flare.

Or what I'm actually asking is, as the DA* is a weather sealed lens, should that effect my choice of filters and whether to use a filter or not?

Last edited by emr; 02-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good question (though as you said, it's a subject which is somewhat beat to death ), and I'm sure 75% of the answers you get will say not to use a filter, but if you want to protect your investment, I say go for it. I've got filters on all my expensive lenses and I can't say I've seen much sign of 'em in my photos - shooting at night with bright lights in the frame, I'll remove the filter as I've seen examples of reflections of lights in other peoples photos which were attributed to filter use, and I've seen it myself while messing around with xmas tree light bokeh shots... I have the the Hoya Pro1 Digital multicoated filters on my lenses, and even with the sun in the frame I don't see significant flare...

Talking about getting 'em wet brings this thread to mind. I'm intrigued by soccerjoe's description of the marumi filters in post 2.