Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fungus bloom

Hello, all! I have the usual collection of screwmount lenses from the 60's/70's and all are in excellent "adult driven" condition except my 135/3.5. All have had the same storage, care, etc but this one has a bloom of fugus on an internal element. Watching the fleabay auctions, it doesn't seem to command much of a price but I was more concerned about using it, cleaning it, or whatever to retain it.
I have shot a number of pictures with it on my K20D, and to these old eyes it still looks like a keeper. I'm not a pixel peeper, but the image quality will probably increase with a clean lens, so what would it take to get it cleaned? Who/where to send it?
Jim

02-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim R Quote
Hello, all! I have the usual collection of screwmount lenses from the 60's/70's and all are in excellent "adult driven" condition except my 135/3.5. All have had the same storage, care, etc but this one has a bloom of fugus on an internal element. Watching the fleabay auctions, it doesn't seem to command much of a price but I was more concerned about using it, cleaning it, or whatever to retain it.
I have shot a number of pictures with it on my K20D, and to these old eyes it still looks like a keeper. I'm not a pixel peeper, but the image quality will probably increase with a clean lens, so what would it take to get it cleaned? Who/where to send it?
Jim
If you use the search function for fungus, you will find some not too ancient threads. It is more or less a DIY job, as firstly a professional cleaning is too expensive, unless you know a repairshop, that will do it out of a friendly mood. And secondly with such a simple lens, it should not be too demanding. If you succeeded, you will be very happy about what you have achieved!

Ben
02-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
fugus

Thanks, Ben. I'll do a more complete search. I used to be a tool and die maker, so the repair might not be too difficult for me. It's the ancient eyes! I'll be sure to post a reply if the operation is successful. You can't break what doesn't work, right?
I've read about leaving it out in the sun on a hot day, but it just seems like abuse of the lens to me.
Jim
02-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Is it a front element or rear?

Rome, Ohio
Ah yes. Rte.6 and 45. Regular route to the lake.

02-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim R Quote
Thanks, Ben. I'll do a more complete search. I used to be a tool and die maker, so the repair might not be too difficult for me. It's the ancient eyes! I'll be sure to post a reply if the operation is successful. You can't break what doesn't work, right?
I've read about leaving it out in the sun on a hot day, but it just seems like abuse of the lens to me.
Jim
Leaving it in the hot sun may perhaps kill the fungus, but not the spores (in fact its the UV that is sterilising it), though I wouldn't be sure a single day is enough. Nevertheless you would have to disassemble and clean the lens, as the dead fungus will still cling to the lens.

I am sure, you won't find cleaning too much of a challenge with your experience!

Ben
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks again, Ben. I have written to Eric and will let him give me an estimate first. I would prefer a pro repair. I don't know which element, more visible from front , but behind front glass.
Wildlifephotog, I'm actually in the major metropolis of Hartsgrove (gas station, bar, restaurant, road kill) so I can assume you live near-by. 3/4 mile east of the circle at 534, tan ranch, split rail fence; the old fart on the tractor cutting grass when the weather permits.
Coffee is always hot. sometimes old, but hot.
Jim

Last edited by Jim R; 02-27-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: additional info
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Eric is the best. Turn around should be pretty fast.

Still has a gas station.

02-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

If you do opt for a UV treatment, make sure you're actually getting some UV radiation - a window will filter out a huge portion of the UV radiation in the sunlight coming coming through it.

If you're worried about the thermal damage to the lens associated with leaving it in the sun, consider using a UV lamp instead (be careful about skin contact/eye protection, though).
02-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I remember right, the rear elements are a little easier to get to - so of course the fungus is in the front. Ask if you end up going for DIY repair.
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You could always grow mushrooms on your lens.
02-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd be guessing that a strip down and using a non reactive to polycarbonates alchohol would do the trick. Being a tool maker you should be able to figure out the assembly/ re assembly easily enough without wrecking any crucial parts. Just make sure you don't need to rely on botching tools for the disassembly/ assembly.
02-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why such an inexpensive lens is worth working on. Well, OK, I do understand that you might like the satisfaction of a successful DIY.

However, spores from that lens, especially if ~you~ open it in your home, present a possibility of spreading fungal spores (and then, with a little moisture sometime in the future, spreading fungus from those germinating spores as well) to some of ~your~ other lenses.

Speaking just for myself, if I had a fungus-infested lens, and it were a really special lens, I'd send it out to be worked on, but, if it were a 135/3.5, I'd just get rid of it, leaving its fungus and spores encapsulated inside.

Just my two f-stops worth ...

Last edited by fwcetus; 02-28-2009 at 08:31 AM.