Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New 31mm

Last year I bought a Zeiss 35mm f 2.0 Distagon but I found that manual focusing is just too much of a chore anymore, even with the Katz Eye. I can focus it fine, it just takes too long and too much concentration. (unlike my Voigtlander 58mm Nokton, which I can't focus to save my a__.)
I broke down and ordered the Pentax 31 Ltd and it arrived today. Now I know what all the fuss is about! I wish I had bought it initially instead of the Zeiss. My initial impression of the IQ is that it is incredible. After some quick function tests I did some focus tests. At about 8 feet I can't really decide whether 0 correction or -1 is better, but the brick wall test clearly shows -1 to have the edge. If I could make half step adjustments -.5 would probably nail it. -1 is better than 0 but there is less difference there than between -1 and -2. It's close enough to perfect that if there wasn't any adjustment available to play with I wouldn't have known that it wasn't perfect.
This does leave me with a dilemma though. The Zeiss is, in it's own right a fantastic lens, but it will probably never get mounted on my camera again, but I hate the thought of parting with it.

02-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now might not be the best of times to sell. So, hold on to it for now.
02-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Now might not be the best of times to sell. So, hold on to it for now.
That's what I was thinking. I can use the economic situation as an excuse to keep it.