Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Should I buy a FA77 or not?

Hello all!

Uhm... I think I need to know what do you think about my last LBA attack :ugh:

I have found a great offer for a silver FA77mm and I am about to pull the trigger, I dont want to but something stronger than me cant stop repeating inside my head that I NEED it.

The thing is that I own a Sigma 70mm Macro and I really like it, I know they play on different leagues but 70 and 77 should be too close.

But this is not finishing here because I purchased a FA43mm two weeks ago and a FA*200 f2.8 on January...

Am I a sinner? Need some help from you... or some medicines?

Thanks in advance.

02-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
"I think I need to know what do you think about my last LBA attack"

I doubt it's going to be your "last" LBA attack

Once you have one of the FA limited lenses, 95% you would want the other two
02-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thickeyebrow is 100% correct. My 43mm Limited is screaming for her sisters right now. I bought my two zooms before anything else, to get a feel of the focal lenghts I would use. I tracked the lengths used for my "keeper" shots, and looked for primes in those ranges. The limited series matches my uses almost exactly. That's kind of strange to me since they were designed for film use. Anyway, since I have seen the IQ and effects of the 43, I'm sure the others will follow. I didn't know if they would be worth the extra they cost over other primes, but so far the 43 has been well worth it.
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
Am I a sinner?
It's easy to do the math:

Lust (0 pt)
No effect (unless you're using the lens for portraits of your neighbor's wife or something like that)

Gluttony (+1 pt)
Three lenses in two months?
One point more sin if you buy the 77.

Greed (0 pt)
No effect (unless you try to sell your old sigma for more than it's worth).

Sloth (-1 pt)
I'm pretty sure the autofocus on the 77 is less slothful than the autofocus on the sigma 70 macro. 1 point less sin.

Wrath (0 pt)
No effect (you won't use the 77 you take pictures of things you're angry at -- the FA200 is more suitable)

Envy (-1 pt)
If you buy the 77, you won't envy someone else's. 1 point less sin after getting the 77.

Pride (+1 pt)
Owning the 77 will increase your Pentax Pride. 1 point more sin

Total: 0 sin points.

So really you're just as sinful before buying the 77 as after -- no worries.

02-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
hahaha thanks...!!
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Yes, you should buy a 77ltd.

The Sigma 70 is stupendous in it's own way, but different.

02-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like the flu, LBA strikes and can bring you down to your knees, lulling you into a sense of desire, desperate to gain 'just one more' expensive lens to add to your collection.

Can it be cured? No, you must ride out the sickness in its own time. But do your best not to stay at home in front of the computer all day - the best way to manage LBA is by going OUT and taking pictures with the gear you have.

Is it infectious? Yes, and that's another reason to avoid the internet during your plateau period of illness. Be occupied, and its effect won't be a great.

LBA and the flu - a very similar predicament indeed...

As for the 77 ltd - should you get it - yeahhh, I guess so...

02-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I own both, as does jsherman. Both lenses are excellent and the focal length is different enough for you to use both, if you are able to afford them.

The Sigma70 is my favourite lens by far. It renders pictures like there's no tomorrow, the bokeh is smooth, it focuses fast for a macro, it never misses metering the light correctly, it's awesome for portraits, it macros at 0.91:1, it's wowzers sharp (!), it's almost impossible to get it to PFringe, MF is awesome, it's sexy, it's uber useful for many many situations... It's also slightly heavy and fairly large in size for it's focal length.

The FA77 is a totally different beast. It renders pictures with a wonderful subtle 3D effect, the bokeh is smooth and beautiful, it focuses quickly, metering can be touch and go (I have to chimp a couple of times to see my exposure is right), it was made for portraits, it's sexier than...well, use your imagination, it's small and discrete, it's MF is awesome, it's also useful for many situations. It's also very prone to PFringing.

I have both and will keep both because they render differently, and because I make a side living out of taking pictures of people (and see the need for both lenses). If I had to choose between the two I would be very hard pressed to pick either...so I'm no help there.

I guarantee you will love it if you go for it. Ultimately you will have to decide if the extra couple of stops of light are worth it, whether the size/weight difference would be useful, and whether the 7mm focal length difference matters (it's noticable, but not extravagantly different).

I love both of them...so, good luck with your decision

c[_]
02-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
> Should I buy a FA77 or not?

Yes (of course). ('Nuf said...)

;-)
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Should I buy a FA77 or not?

1. 20 reviews and an average rating of 9.70 out of 10.

2. They're available NOW. Get one while you can.

3. If it's such a deal on pricing, you can always sell it for the same if it sucks, which means if it doesn't suit your style, because it DOESN'T suck.

4. Have you used one? That may answer you original question.

5. It's a bottle of perfect Scotch you can drink forever.

-Mike
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You should since it's a great lens.

Problem is you will end up like me, after the FA77 you will start looking for the FA 31mm

Grab it lol
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote

5. It's a bottle of perfect Scotch you can drink forever.

-Mike
Mike, excellent analogy!

02-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No matter how many lenses of similar focal lengths you have tried, this is the lens to get and keep.

A classic lens and great companion regardless where I go with my camera
02-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks you all for your replies, I saw there is one for sale on the marketplace at the moment but I am spanish and I would have an important price increase due to custom taxes, so it is not such a good deal for me...

The offer I found is a different one, not such in mint condition but excellent anyway.

Jsherman999, what can I say? awesome images as always, your pictures with a 20 bucks lens would be much better than mine with a DA***
03-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Also, if Pentax ever discontinues the FA limiteds they'll sell used for twice what they cost new now. I really doubt many people would part with theirs - I certainly will be keeping mine.