Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Difference between 50mm lenses

Hi there everyone,
I'm wondering if I could get some expert advice on my next lens purchase. I currently have a 50mm 2.8 macro lens, and an 18-250 tamron as well as a 10-17pentax fish eye.
I am wanting a lens that is best to use indoors in more low light settings. I've been told to get the 50mm1.4 but i'm wondering if thats redundant since I have a 50mm macro lens. Obvoiusly the 1.4 would be better but i'm wondering what ppls opinions are on it. I also have seen a 50mm 1.2 and am wondering if theres a big difference between these lenses.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm still learning and have lots to learn!
Thank you!

02-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tammmzy Quote
Hi there everyone,
I'm wondering if I could get some expert advice on my next lens purchase. I currently have a 50mm 2.8 macro lens, and an 18-250 tamron as well as a 10-17pentax fish eye.
I am wanting a lens that is best to use indoors in more low light settings. I've been told to get the 50mm1.4 but i'm wondering if thats redundant since I have a 50mm macro lens. Obvoiusly the 1.4 would be better but i'm wondering what ppls opinions are on it. I also have seen a 50mm 1.2 and am wondering if theres a big difference between these lenses.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm still learning and have lots to learn!
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

The f/1.4 to f/2.8 aperture range makes a world of difference to the images and the type of shots you can get.

It's harder to get focus at f/1.4 because the depth of field (DOF) is so small, but it's possible - the only problem being that someones eye will be in focus, but their nose will not. (not necessarily a bad effect - do some googling on bokeh and DOF and you'll see some images that show you what I'm taking about.)

If you stop any 50 1.4 down one stop to f/2, it will be very sharp, DOF will be usable, and you will have double the shutter speeds available than you do at f/2.8 - meaning, if you need to shoot at 1/40sec at f/2.8, you'll be able to double that to 1/80sec (or I should say, the camera will do that for you if it's a A or AF lens.) 1/80s vs. 1/40s often means a sharp shot vs. a blurry shot.

I'd buy the FA 50 1.4 for $160 - $200 or so. At f/2, that thing is an incredible performer. The F or FA 1.7 ($120 - $180) is excellent also, even wide-open at f/1.7.

Don't bother with a 50 1.2 lens at this point - the f/1.2 aperture isn't going to be as useful to you because of almost non-existent DOF. Plus, they cost an arm & a leg.

I'm sure others will have advice for you also.

02-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tammmzy Quote
Hi there everyone,
Thank you!
HiTammmzy
Ijust finished reading a good report on pop phot about 50mm 1,4 lenses
the summary;
its the best for close up
the best for low light
the best indoor
the best for soft background
the best for act
even the best for indoor sports
02-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Given you current set up of lenses I would suggest the FA35 f2.0. It's focal length is great for indoors, it's significantly different from your 50's length so you won't feel like you've got two similar lenses.

The FA35 is sharp right from f2.0 too and costs around $300 US new (used around $265 US). It's the exact same size as the FA50 f1.4.

Hope this helps...

c[_]

02-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use your macro lens to test whether another 50mm is suitable. Test the focal length by seeing if you can get the shots you want at the distances you want to use. Take a few shots at f2.8 to see what the light level is, and how much of the photo is in focus. I took about a hundred test shots of my wife at various times, focal lengths and apertures, just to see what different lenses could do for me.
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
On digital I think the 30-35mm lenses work better for low light as they give you a similiar field of view to the 50mm lenses on film. Either the FA 35mm f/2 or FA 31mm tld f/1.8 are great. Also keep in mind that since they are a wider angle than the 50mm lenses, there is less blur due to lower shutter speeds.