Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Auto tilt, shift and focus.

Have there been any bizzare tries at large aperture, auto-focus-tilt-shift lens... i guess not becaucse of the insane machanics needed to be built into lens or mount system.

Many times large apertures like 1.4..2 are useless not because of too thin DOF.
Most of the time the plane of focus is not located at very useful position because of coposition. So you have to stop down, to get everything needed in focus from the position you shoot, even if the DOF would be enough to capture the object from different angle.

Imagine a lens that can align its plane of focus to the surface, wich is facing the camera (and lies under current focus point).

How about doing this in camera, as an additional feature to shake reduction, thus possible for most FA lenses and some DA's when used with APS-C sensor. From camera/focusing point of view it would be like multi/auto but instead of choosing one, camer could focus to all/most of them.

Think about it .

Last edited by ytterbium; 02-28-2009 at 02:26 PM.
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

great idea but how many people can pay for a $20.000 tilt-shift lens?
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi ytterbium

Re your proposal:

QuoteQuote:
auto-focus-tilt-shift lens
Unfortunately I believe the terminology you have chosen in this particular instance would appear to be something of a contradiction in terms.
To the best of my knowledge, all perspective correction/shift lenses manufactured to date have been wholly manual "stop-down" designs. This is primarily due to the inherent deficiencies of inbuilt SLR/DSLR light-metering systems, which simply cannot compensate accurately enough as such pc/s lenses are shifted to their extremities.
Should I be proved wrong about this matter, please accept my apologies in advance.

Best regards
Richard
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

not true... the canon ones do have auto metering ability (as canon has only electronic aperture control anyways) and the newest Nikon's are auto on the high end bodies

03-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi k100d

In which case, I stand duly corrected on the subject !

Best regards
Richard
03-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Unfortunately I believe the terminology you have chosen in this particular instance would appear to be something of a contradiction in terms.
To the best of my knowledge, all perspective correction/shift lenses manufactured to date have been wholly manual "stop-down" designs. This is primarily due to the inherent deficiencies of inbuilt SLR/DSLR light-metering systems, which simply cannot compensate accurately enough as such pc/s lenses are shifted to their extremities.
Should I be proved wrong about this matter, please accept my apologies in advance.

Aperture control has been a feature of Canon TS-E lenses for the last couple of years. But AF is different. It would simply make no sens with a tilt lens, as the tilt would usually be applied to choose a certain plane of focus. How would one let the camera decide about that?

Ben
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Easy.
One point is for picking target.
Camera finds distance for it and all the other focusing points. Places choosen point on imaginary plane and tries to figure out wich of the other points can aproximate it best and choses the orientation of plane. Then focuses lens to the choosen point (as it MUST be sharp otherwise it could also pick mean distance from all points on plane). Afther that the sensor is tilted to match the plane.