Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Share images of Volna-9 with ext.tube/bellows/maginfiers etc. (or Industar 61)

The Volna-9 is a 1:2 macro, I would like to know whether anyone has used any macro add-on's and what you thought about it. Samples would be awesome. I would like to hear from Industar 61 owners as well, as they are similar designs.

02-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Igilligan

I have used every kind with my russian beauties

But I dont have that wonderful Volna-9.. I can post some pics with a Helios 58mm + macro converter and with a raynox 250 when I get home in a couple of hours if you want. I have some Industar 50mm pancake with macro converter.

Actually I am not sure where I could find the ext tube shots... the others for sure.

Here is the link of the Helios 44M with a vivitar macro converter...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51826-close-up-cacaphony...stuff-end.html

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-28-2009 at 06:14 PM.
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But I dont have that wonderful Volna-9.. I can post some pics with a Helios 58mm + macro converter and with a raynox 250 when I get home in a couple of hours if you want. I have some Industar 50mm pancake with macro converter.

Actually I am not sure where I could find the ext tube shots... the others for sure.

Here is the link of the Helios 44M with a vivitar macro converter...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51826-close-up-cacaphony...stuff-end.html
Wow! those shots with the vivitar macro converter is outstanding. How much do these converters cost ?. I would love to see some shots of the helios with the Raynox 250.

In your opinion which method works the best. The Raynox type that go on the front of the lens or others.

What do these do to the DOF ?

Thanks. I really appreciate the images.

P.S: I was just experimenting on shorting the Pentax 1.7 AFA to auto focus with the Volna, and the aluminum foil worked well. However, it never asked for the focal length, and SR wasn't working, and was not metering well in Av, so I have to read and tinker more. However, it focusses much closer now. So, what is the difference between using a teleconverter vs the usual macro gizmos. I thought TC's wouldn't allow to get any closer, but it is...

Volna-9 at the closest focus distance. F2.8

Volna+1.7AFA at the closest focus distance. F4 as 2.8 is very soft

(if anyone wants I can post the f2.8 image with the TC, and the F4 image with the lens alone for comparision also full size images of any)

P.S2:

Well I had to share a 100% crop of the Volna-9 with the Pentax 1.7 AFA stopped down to F4 (The white circles looks totally smooth to naked eye, the dust particles are invisible...I am impressed).

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Igilligan

Here are a few Helios with the raynox 250...

I think this could be the sony 3358 macro adaptor... it is probably closer to the Raynox 150 in magnification

In all honesty I really think the Raynox 150 would be more usable, less mag but more DOF.... but the 250 is fun too.
I think these "good" macro adaptors are probably the easiest to use just because if you are shooting a tiny bug macro and all of a sudden a
large butterfly lands on the flower next to you... you just unclip the raynox and take the shot with the 2:1 Volna... If you are using a
macro converter between the camera and lens then you are only able to shoot macro...

But the IQ might be better with the converter but I think the raynox shots look pretty great.
If you need a set of M42 ext tubes let me know I have an extra set I would sell you if you dont have some already. The 50mm of ext tubes will
get you 1:1 macro on the 50 mm lens.

I just used ext tubes with the DA 40 at the end of this thread... and you can see the results.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/52478-da-40mm-...o-shooter.html

02-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those shots of the Dandeylion (spelling?) and the nail BLOW MY MIND!
03-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gys, thank you very much for those images.

The third shot is stunning, the dandelions came out great as well. Also, I wish I can a catch a fly in action like that, wow!

To me the ext. tube sets looked marginally better. I have seen some remarkable shots with the raynox, and have heard that it works well with zooms and are almost impossible to focus with primes.

I have removed the springs form my M42 to K adapter, and will drill the pin hole eventually. So, I am converting the mount to be a permanent K-mount. So, If I am to buy an extension tube, it will be the K-mountg version with A contacts, so I can experiment with my other lenses too, especially the FA43. Isn't this a good idea ?

The DA40 and extension tube bugs you had posted are as best as it can possibly get...I'll be totally staisfied with those results...
03-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Igilligan

I think your Kmount ext tube plan

Is a good idea... for me I have so many m42 lenses that I kept the M42 ext tubes along with the ' A' k mounts I just got. But if you are only gonna have one them the 'A' mount is the way to go. The only thing I will say about the ext tubes is that there is light fall off with them so a flash becomes needed in most situations. (but flash is usually a good idea with bug macros anyway) I dont see any real light loss with the add on macro adaptors.

I have not found the raynox impossible to focus with primes. There is no real difference in focus between zooms and prime IMO. It is a bit more useable with say the DA 50-200 just because you can frame a macro shot better. But many of my favorite macro shots have come from a prime/raynox combo.

Jupiter 9 85mm + raynox 250

And MightyMikes work with the raynox + DA 50-200 is some of the best "macro" stuff I have seen with the raynox. If you want a real example of what can be done with the raynox do a search on here or DPR for his work.

As I said, I think the kmount A ext tubes are a good plan. I really have not used mine enough to show many examples as I ended up with a few new/old lenses about the same time I bought them, so the testing went on the back burner. But spring will bring the bugs again, and after what I saw with the A tubes and DA 40... I know the tubes will get a workout.

But pick a raynox someday too....
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Gus, those photos are great! Today I did some exercise with the Helios + extension tubes, and I posted them here.

03-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gus,

I have seen Mighty Mike's work before, and that is the only reason for me to consider the Raynox. That is where I learned about zooms being easier, got the reason wrong. Thanks.