Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
So then is the other lens here PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 200mm f/3.5 Auto Telephoto m42 mount the later M42 mount with an adapter mounted?
I dunno...it sort of looks like it. You might ask jsherman999. I think it was his lens.

Steve

03-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
This is correct, my is M42 but did not realized it was the later version until you point it out that my has the rubberized grip.
Jewelltrail as you can see from the pictures, it looks almost like new as well.

Dave
Yes, it actually looks better than mine--amazing--this many of these old lenses looking so good. Did the seller stick to his ad and not send you the dog?
03-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it actually looks better than mine--amazing--this many of these old lenses looking so good. Did the seller stick to his ad and not send you the dog?
Yes, sadly the lovely dog did not come with the lens.

Dave
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I dunno...it sort of looks like it. You might ask jsherman999. I think it was his lens.

Steve
I am working on it now.
Edit: Hinman's pic of his K-mount and ISO Dave's pic of his later M42 mount look very much alike.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-02-2009 at 10:37 PM.
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I am working on it now.
Edit: Hinman's pic of his K-mount and ISO Dave's pic of his later M42 mount look very much alike.
Yes, that was an m42 lens, and looks like I had an adapter on it when I took that photo for the lens review database last year.

Great lens!
03-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #51
F16

I have a couple of these in M42, the later ones with the 'checkered' focus ring. I haven't used them too much, but I always liked the lens, nice combination of speed and size, respectable performance, etc. I also have a couple of its 'brother' at 135mm 2.8, one with the ribbed focus and one with the checkered focus ring. The Vivitar lenses with the ribbed focus ring tend to be tighter to focus from what I've seen.

I also have a couple other 200mm 3.5 M42 lenses, one of them a Hanimex that's a bit bigger and has the nice advantage of a tripod collar. And then I have yet another Vivitar 200/3.5, this one is a T4 mount(I think T4, it's not TX) with a M42 adapter. I've never even used this lens, it is a Tokina 1972 build from the S/N. Just a hair shorter than the Komine version, built-in lenshade, ribbed focus, and a sorry CF of about 9.5'. Looks like a decent lens but I can't say how it performs.

I don't yet own a DSLR unfortunately so I probably won't be doing much in the way of head-to-head tests with my lenses right now. When I got my first Komine 200/3.5 years ago, I did do a couple of torture tests with it and another lens or two, used with a Soligor 4-element 2x TC. Basically did it to push them well past their limits, a modest Vivitar lens and even cheaper TC to make matters worse, and shot it wide open. The results were not great as you would expect, but the fact that the resulting Vivitar+TC at 400mm/F7 was even usable & not bad at all closed down a couple stops told me that the Vivitar was a solid performer on its own.
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I own the lens now, thanks Jay for the lens

This is very good lens for its price. I purchased a AF1.7x TC to make it a 340mm@f5.6
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Looking at the original test shots, the Pentax is definitely sharper at f4, but the Vivitar looks to have a very slight contrast edge. At higher f stops, the sharpness edge of the Pentax seems to go away, but the contrast edge of the Vivitar stays and even becomes more pronounced.

In Steve's second set of shots, the sharpness seems about equal between the two lenses at f4, but the Vivitar again shows more contrast. The different hue of the color aberration between the two lenses is interesting.

I think in real world shooting the contrast edge of the Vivitar is more likely to be of advantage than the sharpness edge, at least of Jewel's Pentax, only at f4, although both of these seem to be quite competent lenses.

03-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote

...In Steve's second set of shots, the sharpness seems about equal between the two lenses at f4, but the Vivitar again shows more contrast. The different hue of the color aberration between the two lenses is interesting...
The difference in hue with the Pentax at f/4 is limited to the lettering on the sign and is the result of a reddish CA. The actual sign uses the same color ink for both the color block at the top of the sign and for the lettering below. I did not post the full original images, but the color rendition between the two lenses is actually very similar. I would expect that the Vivitar's PF would not be present when used on film. Perhaps that would be the better comparison. (Hmmm...the XR7 is loaded with Ektar 100 and I have been meaning to finish the roll...)

All-in-all, I would judge the Vivitar be somewhat better optically with points being given to the Pentax for light weight and compact design. This opinion may change, however, when the sun comes out and I can see how the coatings on the hold up under bright conditions.

Steve
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The actual lettering color on the sign is a dark blue. The plants in the background are a significant distance behind the sign (about 40-50 feet) and are relatively sharp considering that focus was on the sign. The Viv does look fuzzy by comparison, although the actual resolution (see letters on the sign) is pretty close to the M200. As I said in my note, the image is somewhat at odds with the shots I took earlier in the day. In those pictures the results were somewhat reversed though the subject was something of lower contrast.

Steve
Steve, I think, these outdoor shots are fairly consistent with the glass candle holder shots. The indoor shots exhibit a slight exposure difference, where the Pentax shots are consitently a bit brighter, than the Vivitar shots. This could lead to the conclusion, that the Pentax has lower contrast. But it hasn't. Especially the first pair of images (corner crop of f/4 shots) shows quite clearly (I am with 1moreDave), that the Pentax is sharper and has less visible aberrations, than the Vivitar.

Ben
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Steve, I think, these outdoor shots are fairly consistent with the glass candle holder shots. The indoor shots exhibit a slight exposure difference, where the Pentax shots are consitently a bit brighter, than the Vivitar shots. This could lead to the conclusion, that the Pentax has lower contrast. But it hasn't. Especially the first pair of images (corner crop of f/4 shots) shows quite clearly (I am with 1moreDave), that the Pentax is sharper and has less visible aberrations, than the Vivitar.

Ben
The two lenses are very close and I would not argue one way or another regarding which is the best optically. Both are very well-made and offer above-average performance and high value. As for which has better contrast...on my monitor the difference is fairly obvious in favor of the Vivitar. On my monitor at work, you can't tell the difference. Does that really matter? No. I can always dial in a little more contrast in PP if a picture needs a little more kick.

For shooting with my K10D and K-mount Ricohs I will probably continue to use the Pentax-M 200/4, both for reasons of convenience (no adapter) and because of weight and handling characteristics. The Vivitar 200/3.5 was purchased to round out my M42 kit for my Mamiya 1000 DTL and for the Singlex TLS and that is where it will probably find its more useful role.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-03-2009 at 02:20 PM.
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IMHO, the Vivitar offers a little bit more, particularly when all the crops are brought into consideration. On my monitor, the Pentax does render a bit brighter than the Vivitar. But the brightness is not enough to fully explain the better contrast results of the Vivitar. Also, the brighter rendering of the Pentax assists the perception of sharpness.

The Pentax seems to hold a slight edge in sharpness on the some of the center crops, but then the Vivitar is clearly more sharp than the Pentax on the edge crops. On nearly all crops and images I prefer the contrast of the Vivitar.

I took 2 shots of each lens, at each aperture, then selected the best shots for display here. The lighting is completely controlled since it was dark outside, and the subject was never moved from its location. I must note, I had to move the Pentax and tripod a little closer to the subject because it is slightly less in focal length than the Vivitar.

I seek the most I can get out of my photographic dollars. To this end, I enjoy testing like this. These lenses are both worth their cost, but the Vivitar has to get my nod because I paid a lot less for it than I did for the Pentax and, at worst, it performs with the Pentax. I guess that is what I'll take from this learning experience.
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got a chance to shoot outdoors with the K20 & Vivitar 200mm today. Here is a shot which should stress the lens a good deal. First pic is the original, just resampled for the forum. Second pic is a crop from the first pic.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-25-2009 at 09:05 AM.
03-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another outdoor test for the Vivitar 200mm f 3.5. @ f8, I think--no post processing

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-25-2009 at 09:08 AM.