Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't formed an opinion - (I have two versions of the Vivitar though only one mounts on a pentax) - except for this:

Man, do they clean up good closed down a bit, to where they'd be used in real life.

03-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 from Komine is definitely not as good looking as the Pentax 200mm f/4.0 (my subjective opinion, of course). But is is a bit heavier though I recall it being light enough to be hand-holdable in shooting humming bird. The handling of the lens is quite good and I don't recall stiff focusing ring. My copy is quite excellent in both cosmetics and conditions.

Here are my product shots:

A good combo with Pentax magical AF-1.7x TC

Last edited by hinman; 03-01-2009 at 04:14 PM.
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I got my Vivitar 200/3.5 yesterday, the weather here is not too good like Steve said, took a couple quick shots of birdy's. I might have little trouble of hand held this in compared to the M200. Otherwise I am happy with it.

Both shot wide open @ f3.5, one with center corp.

Dave
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's my comparison.

David

03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
The Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 from Komine is definitely not as good looking as the Pentax 200mm f/4.0 (my subject opinion opinion, of course)...
I like the look of both lenses. Your Viv is somewhat different than mine in that mine has the ribbed metal focus ring. I really like that look. It reminds me of the current model Zeiss lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
...But is is a bit heavier though I recall it being light enough to be hand-holdable in shooting humming bird. The handling of the lens is quite good and I don't recall stiff focusing ring. My copy is quite excellent in both cosmetics and conditions.
The focus ring stiffness might be related to the generation of the lens body as well as age. Mine is about 4 years older than yours and has a somewhat different barrel design.

The rain has stopped so I am going to see if I can get some comparison shots with both lenses before the clouds close in again!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-01-2009 at 04:09 PM.
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Request: Can OP confirm which lens is the odd number? I personally don't enjoy guessing game

Hin
Sure Hin--sorry, wasn't trying to annoy you-- In the first post of pics, the Vivitar is always posted first, immediately following the declared aperture, followed by its left edge crop. I just hate leading other people with my conclusions. I like them to reach their own conclusions, without outside influence. I think this is a result of spending a lot of time in higher education--

In the second series of postings (the center crops) the first pic is the Viv and the second is the Pentax. The 3rd pic is the Viv & the 4th is the Pentax--and so on for the rest of the center crops.

In short, the Vivitar image is always first. Another way, among the center crop images, all file names start with a a number from 1 to 8--all the odds are the Vivitar--all the evens are the Pentax. Among the first series of images, for each aperture, the lower file name is the Vivitar.

Hope this settles it!
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few more comparison images

Ok...I was able to get off a few comparisons on tripod before the rain set in again. The results (all center 100% crops) are below:

It could be argued that I should have done the first test at f/4 for both lenses. Maybe another time (it is raining again). In any case, I was somewhat surprised to see the purplish bloom either side of the lamppost for the Vivitar. Even more surprising was the apparent difference in magnification in the first image. The Pentax apparently has a somewhat shorter focal length than the Vivitar.

I will leave it up to the viewer to judge the results. All I can say is that the first test image is somewhat at odds with my initial hand-held shots from earlier in the day.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.
03-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Here's my comparison.

David
Good one...I was going to do the same joke! I must say, however that the Pentax appears to be significantly softer than the Vivitar...

Steve
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok...I was able to get off a few comparisons on tripod before the rain set in again. The results (all center 100% crops) are below:

Steve
It seems the M200 on the lamppost sign and flower in the background is little more sharper & the text is black instead of blue, maybe it is just my monitor..

David
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Stevebrot: The Pentax apparently has a somewhat shorter focal length than the Vivitar.
Yes, my findings precisely. I did not want to get into it here, but I actually had to move the Pentax a little closer to get comparable images. I thought this was strange.
03-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #26

Shameless plug....I have a Vivitar 200mm f3.5 Komine in K-mount in the marketplace right now.
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Stevebrot: It could be argued that I should have done the first test at f/4 for both lenses

I did my indoor test with both lenses @ f4--my conclusion was they are a toss-up at this aperture. With the Vivitar wide open, based on some hand-held shots I did, I would expect your results.
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
It seems the M200 on the lamppost sign and flower in the background is little more sharper & the text is black instead of blue, maybe it is just my monitor..

David
The actual lettering color on the sign is a dark blue. The plants in the background are a significant distance behind the sign (about 40-50 feet) and are relatively sharp considering that focus was on the sign. The Viv does look fuzzy by comparison, although the actual resolution (see letters on the sign) is pretty close to the M200. As I said in my note, the image is somewhat at odds with the shots I took earlier in the day. In those pictures the results were somewhat reversed though the subject was something of lower contrast.

Steve
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Just1moredave: I think I got mixed up on which lens was which. I assumed you had identified them in your first posts.
Yes, I can see how anyone would be unsure of what pics were what. I purposefully set this up that way. I was initially surprised when you quickly reported the Pentax was better because I did not know how you knew which was which.
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mycarsoots Quote
Shameless plug....I have a Vivitar 200mm f3.5 Komine in K-mount in the marketplace right now.

Hope this thread helps your sales effort!

Steve