Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As promised, I went home today to give a few quick shots wide open versus smaller apertures. As apparent from the photos, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between f/4 and f/8, even at 100% crop (on K200D). Even the edges + corners are super sharp wide open. Pretty remarkable...although remember this is a macro and widest is f/4... I don't remember which was which, for the ordering of f/4 and f/8. but if you can't really tell then I guess it doesn't matter.

The lighting wasn't the best here for great contrast...it's a little flat feeling, but that's what you get when the sun is barely still over the horizon. Anyway, these are straight from PEF -> JPG using Lightroom defaults.

I'll put up a few macro shots soon too.

Also, I fixed the broken pics on the first post, if anyone noticed that they were broken.

-Jim

100% crops

03-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK.

So here's where the fun starts. Here are a couple true macro shots (and then cropped a bit) to show off this lens in all of it's glory.

This guy decided to crawl on my camera bag. The blue nylon made for a nice backdrop. Notice you can see the individual strands of plastic making up the nylon...puts the size of this critter into perspective Also notice the giant zipper in the second shot.

03-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, I can't wait until mine gets out of the shop! Nice shots Jim!
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I have a few more shots to share now.

When I went out for a walk last weekend around a small lake, I was shooting some flowers and plants... Then I started to hear this rustling nearby on the ground in the dry grass. I looked down, and didn't see anything. Again, I hear some rustling and see the grass moving a little bit where I am looking, but still I can't see anything suspicious. But then, I notice this teeny tiny turtle crawling through the grass. Luckily, I had the trusty Macro-Takumar with me, and gave the turtle his/her own little model shoot. This guy was literally an 1.5 inches in diameter, so I NEEDED a macro lens to get some nice shots. Here are a few of my favorites:

I believe I shot all of these at f/11...and you can see tell close I am just by how small my DOF is even at f/11.

Notice how big the grass looks

Outta my Way

Peek-a-Boo!

And my very favorite: Micro-Turtle Portrait (this was around 1:1 macro)

Cheers
-Jim

03-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Wow Jim! Those are great! Especially the last one, as you have identified. Love the star highlight in the eye!

Alas the shop has not been able to fix mine yet, they are "trying to figure out what to do" re: some stripped screws. Doesn't sound good, and of course I am past the window to return it. Here's hoping!
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that you don't have it fixed yet.

Yes, those are some great shots! I just bought this lens off ebay myself and am waiting it's arrival. It wasn't even listed as a Macro lens! The photos didn't show it "extended" or anything, Just said it was a "Takumar 1:4 50mm" lens! Looks clean and it is the original preset version. I pretty much stole it.

I'm exited, but it will be up for sale quickly after arrival, that is, unless I fall totally in love with it.. I noticed "arpaagent" here just sold a second copy. I'll be selling mine for much more than that.

I'll try and remember to post some pics in this thread when it arrives!

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Wow Jim! Those are great! Especially the last one, as you have identified. Love the star highlight in the eye!

Alas the shop has not been able to fix mine yet, they are "trying to figure out what to do" re: some stripped screws. Doesn't sound good, and of course I am past the window to return it. Here's hoping!
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Just wanted to share with everyone my latest lens acquisition. Picked up this really old Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 Macro. This is the early preset-aperture version that can achieve 1:1 magnification without any extension tubes or filter lenses. Very cool little lens, it really is a sight to behold this small lens extend so far out! Here are a few shots of the lens.

Check out the shape of the aperture in the 4th picture (this is at f/8, where this shape is most pronounced). Very interesting!

Infinity Focus vs. Full Extension for 1:1. Very compact for ability to go full 1:1.

and a couple shots from it. Notice the shape of the background highlights in the first one.

OK! LBA in full effect!

You got me with those pics!

Goodness!

I just ordered one off of Ebay!

Please wish me luck since you are responsible for me doing this!

AWESOME pics!

I love to do macro photography!

It is a whole new world!

Yes the bokeh looks like an octogon IMHO.
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Sorry to hear that you don't have it fixed yet.

. . .
Mike
He posted in another thread that he got it fixed and it is working great. He is now selling his Sears 55mm macro (m42).

04-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Oh, excellent! Thanks for the update!

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
He posted in another thread that he got it fixed and it is working great. He is now selling his Sears 55mm macro (m42).
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I got my 16-45 to day and a Super Tak f4 Macro is on the way.

When it arrives, I want to start a thread called the Super Tak Mac club, if there is not one already.

Anyone owning these primes interested?

Lets show the world the pics.

Pentax legacy lenses in full effect!
05-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #41
emr

Having tried my Macro-Takumar now for a few times, I'd like to ask for your view on its use. I'm not very experienced with macro shooting (actually not that experienced with photography to begin with). I've found that focusing can be pretty tricky with this lens and that the DOF seems very shallow. When I'm using the maximal magnification or shortest range that the lens can be focused to, the DOF is so shallow that even small objects are in focus in a miniscule area only, often too small. Like just a small part of a small fly is in focus, while most of it is OOF. Of course there's the possibility to be a bit further from the object, but that sort of takes away the "macro" properties. I've tried to enlarge the DOF by stepping down the aperture but that doesn't seem to work very efficiently. And I also tend to have focusing problems, especially stepped down but also wide open. I know a preset lens should be "previewed" and focused wide open, but this is just too clumsy hand-held. Of course using a tripod and shooting non-moving structures this would work better.

So after the longish prologue, does it seem that I'm doing something wrong when I use the lens? And do you have any tips or tricks about how to get the most out of it?
05-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Having tried my Macro-Takumar now for a few times, I'd like to ask for your view on its use. I'm not very experienced with macro shooting (actually not that experienced with photography to begin with). I've found that focusing can be pretty tricky with this lens and that the DOF seems very shallow. When I'm using the maximal magnification or shortest range that the lens can be focused to, the DOF is so shallow that even small objects are in focus in a miniscule area only, often too small. Like just a small part of a small fly is in focus, while most of it is OOF. Of course there's the possibility to be a bit further from the object, but that sort of takes away the "macro" properties. I've tried to enlarge the DOF by stepping down the aperture but that doesn't seem to work very efficiently. And I also tend to have focusing problems, especially stepped down but also wide open. I know a preset lens should be "previewed" and focused wide open, but this is just too clumsy hand-held. Of course using a tripod and shooting non-moving structures this would work better.

So after the longish prologue, does it seem that I'm doing something wrong when I use the lens? And do you have any tips or tricks about how to get the most out of it?
Everything you've listed is exactly as expected. It is not the fault of the lens, but of optics - a different lens will not improve the depth of field and difficulty in focusing situation.

A longer focal length lens will be further from the subject at the same magnification but will proportionally more difficult to hold. (Both "working distance" and "Camera Shake" are proportional to focal length... it is Mother Nature's way.)

The Macro-Takumar's double aperture ring is intended to help you with stopping down after focus. The rear ring clicks; the front moves smoothly. Close the aperture with the rear ring to what you want for the shot. Now the front ring will smoothly open the aperture for focusing and allow you to close it again without jiggling the camera.

You'll just have to keep working on schemes to hold the camera steady - tripods, monopods, bean bags, elbows on the desk, whatever. Find ways to put light where you want it (reflection from a piece of white paper can help.)

Iowa Dave
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Hi Xman, Blue, Jim. Indeed I did get it fixed. But in the meantime also picked up a Vivitar 55 f/2.8 macro. Ah, LBA! I just love the native 1:1 magnification, and considering this little lens is hardly bigger than the M series 50 f/4 macro, it is easy to throw into a bag or onto the camera for a quick walk. emr, I hear you - I couldn't make a good macro shot to save my life until I accepted how stopped down I had to be, and therefore how much light I needed or how still to be. A tripod is definitely your friend. Good luck!
05-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Here is a pic of my watch with the 50mm macro-tak on a Pentax SV scanned from fujicolor 200 with Epson V500 and the second shot with the same lens on the K200d. Both were hand held in existing light. These were closer to 1:2 than 1:1.

06-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #45

i made a mistake and thought that the smc macro-takumar was 1:1. and then i accidently bid on this macro takumar which is 1:1. two wrongs make a right in this case. i love this lens. 1:1 is so close i had no idea

i was questionable at first because the lens elements were so small, and it is f4, so its a sunny day lens for sure. here are some of my first shots. the shape of the aperture is pretty awesome

1:1