Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean it's quite the opposite of the FA* 85mm with hood on? While that's a great people lens, I think it makes people run for cover and try to shrink unseen into a dark corner when it get's whipped out...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Really non-intimidating. Seriously, this is a set up that I want to have - smaller the better!

03-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

so what do you think? FA77 or DA70 :P
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
You mean it's quite the opposite of the FA* 85mm with hood on? While that's a great people lens, I think it makes people run for cover and try to shrink unseen into a dark corner when it get's whipped out...
I had a discussion with a few street shooters off msn messenger over the weekend. It was basicly about what the best street camera is for street.

The answer was really unanimous: rangefinders. This is simply because it is tiny, small and very light! Most people really do not give a damn with such a small camera with no burdens on the shoulders.

Lenses that are usually big and heavy are really not inviting. I had seen quite a lot of canon street shooters using 100-400mm f4 IS L. Every pedestrian looks upon the guy and stayed away from the photographer. That really puts people off.

For street, getting the moment right is the key and I think da 70 does increase that chance a lot both being small in size and faster in autofocus
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I had a discussion with a few street shooters off msn messenger over the weekend. It was basicly about what the best street camera is for street.

The answer was really unanimous: rangefinders. This is simply because it is tiny, small and very light! Most people really do not give a damn with such a small camera with no burdens on the shoulders.

Lenses that are usually big and heavy are really not inviting. I had seen quite a lot of canon street shooters using 100-400mm f4 IS L. Every pedestrian looks upon the guy and stayed away from the photographer. That really puts people off.

For street, getting the moment right is the key and I think da 70 does increase that chance a lot both being small in size and faster in autofocus
Thanks for bringing this up cuz I was thinking about this just recently. I'm putting together a prime setup of some sort for fancy portraiture and street photos and was thinking of using my DA*50-135. I currently have the DA21 and DA40... am thinking of completing the set with the DA70. However, I already have the DA*50-135...

BUT... the DA*50-135, as you all know, is pretty big especially with the hood on. I love the DA* 50-135 for event/wedding photography as it's amazingly flexible, but do you think I should leave it at home when I go do my walk-arounds? (and maybe look into this FA77 or DA70? GASP! LBA!!)

03-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
so what do you think? FA77 or DA70 :P
The groundhog day phenomenon here...

This topic constantly pops up in the SLR lens section again and again. The summary is really this...

1. Fa 77mm ltd is a collector item for me: sleek, uniquely built and reliable optical performance.

2. Da 70mm ltd has that edge to faster autofocus and reliable optical performance not all that different from Fa 77mm ltd.

3. Fa 77mm ltd is a tad sharper microscopicly comparing to Da 70mm ltd. However, Fa 77mm tends to back focus a lot more at f1.8 until aperture is stopped down to f2.4 or so...

There can be many applications for both lenses. For me, Da 70mm ltd is for street candids or event photography while Fa 77mm ltd is for general purpose only without requirement on spot on fast focus.
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote

Thanks for bringing this up cuz I was thinking about this just recently. I'm putting together a prime setup of some sort for fancy portraiture and street photos and was thinking of using my DA*50-135. I currently have the DA21 and DA40... am thinking of completing the set with the DA70. However, I already have the DA*50-135...
I have a few friends where some are considered making a pro making a living just by doing streets...

Any of the aforementioned primes like Da21, Da 40 or da 70mm could do street photography. One view for one type of perspective. Wider prime can render more impact if the subject can take up 1/3 of the frame while telephoto one usually lacks impact and tells less story about the image setting but save the photographer the "risky" distance from the subject of interest...

For wedding, Da* 50-135mm f2.8 is surely a great lens. But inside church, this zoom often stops autofocus ... You know the kind of disaster when your lens stops autofocusing... Panic sets in and all the important moments are missed... This is why I would have one film SLR and two digital SLRs to do the job It is also good to learn how to manual focus fast without split screen just for a rainy day.

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
BUT... the DA*50-135, as you all know, is pretty big especially with the hood on. I love the DA* 50-135 for event/wedding photography as it's amazingly flexible, but do you think I should leave it at home when I go do my walk-arounds? (and maybe look into this FA77 or DA70? GASP! LBA!!)
For me, I am getting comfortable just one prime for the rest of the day. Unless it is for a paid event photography day or an important occasion, I carry maximum of 2 primes for the outing.

Picture the style of shooting you like and pick the primes. Then I would go to the street aiming to create the style of images I have anticipated with these primes. No ifs and no buts.

My suggestion is to use Da* 50-135mm f2.8 until you think it is time to move on. Most of the modern lenses regardless it is canon, nikon or sigma. All are good enough for varous applications or interpretations of photography. It comes down to what you wanna do with it.

Eventually, most of the lens discussion is really all about fetish, some great ways to spend time on minor things like unsharp corner, lacking pop or whatever
03-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Weaknesses in the DA 70? Can't say I've noticed any in mine or yours from what I see above.

Tom G
The weakness is there for an unscientific individual like me.

1. Background bokeh rendering is more chalky comparing to Fa 77mm ltd.

2. Construction not as classic as Fa 77mm ltd.

3. Rumours that this lens does get softer and softer over time with ongoing use.

4. Colour is flatter under certain circumstances comparing to fa 77mm ltd

5. Less sharpness in microscopic term comparing to Fa 77mm at same aperture

6. Shadow details rendering are not as good as Fa 77mm ltd.

This has been debated to exhaustion in DPR and here. When I joined up as a newbie, I asked this question here as well

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Nice shots!

Yeah, what's the weakness in the DA 70ltd? It's not as fast maybe, but bejeezzus
it's got everything else going for it.
Hehe Jay. Yes, there are weaknesses because I have to be picky. Same as most of the lurking lens analyst. Few points are listed above. Of course, they can be all unscientific and subjective to a certain degree.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Yet another lens that I lust for (along with the FA43). Only the 50-135 keeps me from buying this lens for portrait use.
I find that Fa 43mm ltd a better portrait lens than Fa 77 ltd/Da 70 ltd...

Just a personal view.
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I'm looking for things around the house to sell right now.... thanks.

I had the DA70, well, you know the story. Hear that? It was me kicking myself, again!
I read your posts a few times. That is a common experience by many. I would not feel too bad about that. Just make sure to own one lens at a time. Use it all the time and use it to extreme til the day you think it is time to retire it. For me, some lenses would stay with me forever. You can develop relationship with lenses too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
As you can see, the DA70 has something special, it makes people in front of it act in wacky or cute ways. The photographer's eye-rays going through it are especially well resolved - many lenses simply destroy these, leaving the photographer very little mental control over the subjets.

But more seriously, the DA70 is instantly cheerful and very resolute indeed.

Beautiful and interesting shots.
This is a very true experience. For street shooters, it is about being inconspicuous. The best expression is always in the first instance. A time lag of 0.2 second would result in a dull boring shot.

In fact, I am getting Da 21mm ltd as well. After 2 years of continuously bashing this prime, I actually end up buying it now from Henry...

03-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great lens for a great photographer. I particularly love the shot of the guy with the kangaroo hat and Mazda coat - blue color is perfect.

The DA 70 is one of my favorite lenses - I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Jer
I am going to do some more street stuff with this lens for this coming weekend.

Thank you for your compliment. Never a good photographer myself. I tried to do more shots, documenting things in life that I might look back when I am getting a lot older
03-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #25
James S

roentarre, you've just confirmed my LBA for this lens. I will be ordering it, along with a 70-200mm from Sigma or Tamron in April c/o Kevin Rudd.
03-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #26
Forum Member

Nice shots, specially first one and B&W.
Im considering to get all of the da limited lenses, i just love them. I allready got 35mm ltd, and i´m gona order 21mm and 70mm next week.
Then, in summer 15mm limited and 70-300mm, and voila´, i have my set ready=D
03-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #27
Forum Member

And by the way, i have noticed that pentax has the MOST interesting choice of lenses.
I had nikon D80 before K20D, and im so clad that i changed brand.
Everyone else (nikon, canon, sony, olympus) has good lenses, But, they cost at least 1200€ each!
Pentax is so much cheaper, but still as good (or even better) in quality and performance.

Dont we all love pentax, as a brand and a camera

ps: sorry, this was kinda offtopic post....
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The weakness is there for an unscientific individual like me.

1. Background bokeh rendering is more chalky comparing to Fa 77mm ltd.

2. Construction not as classic as Fa 77mm ltd.

3. Rumours that this lens does get softer and softer over time with ongoing use.

4. Colour is flatter under certain circumstances comparing to fa 77mm ltd

5. Less sharpness in microscopic term comparing to Fa 77mm at same aperture

6. Shadow details rendering are not as good as Fa 77mm ltd.
Yes, but....
The DA 70's AF is faster
The DA 70 has quick-shift
The DA 70 has a more even center-edge performance
The DA 70 has less purple/cyan fringing.
The DA 70 has more clarity (personal opinion).

They are both good lenses. Which one you prefer is a matter of taste. When doing unpolished classic b/w portraits I use the FA77. For everything else I use the DA70.

Kind regard
.lars
03-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by James S Quote
roentarre, you've just confirmed my LBA for this lens. I will be ordering it, along with a 70-200mm from Sigma or Tamron in April c/o Kevin Rudd.
Thanks to him. I am having more consumer power by the fund

I wanna get a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 to play with as well. Let's shoot more images with Da limited
03-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pexi85 Quote
Then, in summer 15mm limited and 70-300mm, and voila´, i have my set ready=D

I would love to see when Da 15mm ltd will be officially available! Another tiny gem to own