Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have this lens, but with my Tamron Adaptall 2 80-200mm I usually set the SR to 200mm (where I might need it most) and turn it off when I zoom out. Only if for some reason I expect to shoot mostly at a shorter focal length do I consider setting the shake reduction to match.

03-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #17

Well other than my TAK`s this is my most used lens on k100d & if i knew how to upload i would.I shoot in M or AV. You won`t be dissapointed.
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Forum Member

Wondering if anyone knows whether the value that is chosen for SR becomes the focal length that is recorded in the EXIF data?

The reason that I ask is because I am sure that I was using different focal lengths while using this lens recently however the EXIF data that is recorded on all of the images is the SR value and not the exact focal length.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
David
03-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dyusem Quote
Wondering if anyone knows whether the value that is chosen for SR becomes the focal length that is recorded in the EXIF data?

The reason that I ask is because I am sure that I was using different focal lengths while using this lens recently however the EXIF data that is recorded on all of the images is the SR value and not the exact focal length.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
David
David, you are correct in assuming that it uses the SR focal length for the exif data. That is the only clue that the camera has regarding what lens you have on the camera (well it can tell between M42, K, K-a, etc...), so it has no idea what the focal length is when you are zooming. If you don't have SR on it won't record the focal length.

Later lenses, F-series and later, have enough info transmitted to the camera to correctly report focal length for all lenses, even when zooming. That is how the camera can automatically choose the SR value without you having to punch it in.

Cheers,
-Jim

03-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Forum Member

Hi Jim, thanks for the confirmation!

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
David, you are correct in assuming that it uses the SR focal length for the exif data. That is the only clue that the camera has regarding what lens you have on the camera (well it can tell between M42, K, K-a, etc...), so it has no idea what the focal length is when you are zooming. If you don't have SR on it won't record the focal length.

Later lenses, F-series and later, have enough info transmitted to the camera to correctly report focal length for all lenses, even when zooming. That is how the camera can automatically choose the SR value without you having to punch it in.

Cheers,
-Jim