Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #1

Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 question

I've had this lens for less than a day but my initial impressions are very positive. Good performance throughout the focal range and very sharp. In fact, if Pentax re-introduced this lens with SDM I'm pretty sure it would be the perfect lens in my world. Maybe put it on a diet too... this sucker is heavy.

Quick question - the focus ring feels loose for about half the travel, then firm (about the same as the zoom ring) the rest of the way. Is this the norm?

I got lucky and found this lens locally at a good price. Still grinning!

03-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #2

a 35-105

Hello

Indeed there is an "axial play" of the focus ring, but only a little bit (my copy has the sn 5776473). When focusing in the "macro section", it seems al bit stiffer. As well as you wrot: good lens, really sharp, well built, but al little heavy.

best wishes
hb
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbh Quote
In fact, if Pentax re-introduced this lens with SDM I'm pretty sure it would be the perfect lens in my world. Maybe put it on a diet too... this sucker is heavy.
They did....it's called the DA*50-135.
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had this lens for less than a day but my initial impressions are very positive. Good performance throughout the focal range and very sharp. In fact, if Pentax re-introduced this lens with SDM I'm pretty sure it would be the perfect lens in my world. Maybe put it on a diet too... this sucker is heavy.

Quick question - the focus ring feels loose for about half the travel, then firm (about the same as the zoom ring) the rest of the way. Is this the norm?

Interesting - mine is somewhat tight across the entire focusing range, and the zoom seems tight and dry. Regardless, the images are sharp.

03-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 question

I also recently purchased this lens (#5807818) and noticed the same "feature' that you mentioned, so it may just be normal for this model.

I too have a big grin on my face due to a super reasonable price and while I have only taken a test shot (or 2) the color reproduction is outstanding and I will find a use for this lens although it will not be packed for any day hike or backcountry expeditions.

Make good use of your new lens!
David
03-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Other A-series zooms have screws hidden under the rubber focus grip. You can peel the grip back and tighten any screws you find.
03-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dyusem Quote
....I will find a use for this lens although it will not be packed for any day hike or backcountry expeditions.
It is a great lens. But it only took me ONE photo walk to figure out to leave it at home when hoofing it.
03-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
mbh

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your thoughts on this lens. I'm somewhat relieved to hear a few others have a little play in the focus ring. I'm not concerned with this any longer. The images are sharp and I find I'm able to focus with this lens much quicker than with my 50mm f/2. I played around with this lens yesterday afternoon and continue to think it is marvelous. Images are sharp and colours are very natural looking; not too bright or saturated.

I spent a good deal of time playing with the macro feature. I can't wait til Spring now... tougher to find good subject matter with snow all over the place (... and no more -20C windchill). I'm already looking forward to a Spring "bug collection" and I think this lens will fit into those plans.

03-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #9

Mine is also pretty loose out of the macro range, and stiffer in it. The zoom ring is VERY stiff. The front part of the lens shows also a lot of wobbling, but I think that's due to the previous owner trying to take it apart...

I agree with Mike that it is too heavy to be a walkaround lens, its image quality is very close to primes, but then it's also like you have the weight of 3 primes on your camera.
03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

... question for fellow shooters... do you average (set the fl at 70) the focal length when shooting.. or change for each shot??
some have said, split the difference, setting the fl at 70mm... so as to best set the shake reduction....
thanks...........
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
... question for fellow shooters... do you average (set the fl at 70) the focal length when shooting.. or change for each shot??
some have said, split the difference, setting the fl at 70mm... so as to best set the shake reduction....
thanks...........
I've only used mine (since I purchased a couple a couple of weeks ago) for a couple of tests shots and set SR at 35 even though I ended up only using the 100mm focal length and the result was very good.

I couldn't imagine having to re-set the SR value for each focal length; I will be very curious to learn if your suggestion (of splitting the difference) is the way to use shake reduction with this lens...
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I found one of these lenses at my local shop for a good price and agree with the others. Mine is a little loose but not sloppy at all when focussing and the "macro" end is very tight. On mine the zoom ring is tight, but not dry or binding. It is heavy, but not when compared to the 16-50 or A 70-210.
I've set the fl to both 35 and 100 and off and don't see a difference yet. I too am interested in how others are using SR with this lens.
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I have this lens and like it a lot. I just turn the SR off with manual zooms, unless I need it, and then I set it to the length I am using. Worked fine on film bodies for years with no SR! An oddity of the macro feature is that maximum magnification is actually greater at the wide end than at the long end. I suppose that could make sense given the extension / FL + extension = magnification math, but don't hold me to it.
03-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
mbh

Original Poster
SR

When I remember I've normally turned SR off. I've mostly been using this outside on bright days with fast shutter speed. I believe SR is of little value anyways with shutter speed set fast, such as 1/1000. I've normally just selected 35mm when prompted for focal length.

Does anyone know the definitive answer: Should the correct focal length be input? I'm glad this was brought up. I've wondered about this.
03-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter

With my old A35-70 and A70-210, I would just pick a FL somewhere in the middle of the zoom range.