Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 40mm ltd

This is my first limited lens, the DA 40mm pancake. Now I'm addicted. Just some walkies.

03-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Igilligan

you are gonna do fine

In your hands it is gonna get a workout... Nice first shots with.

I think that third one is a wonderful shot... I love it

If you print it out, you might crop the little line at the bottom off to see if it makes a better 'look' or not. I cant decide.
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I went back and forth on that lien when I cropped it. It's the edge of the diner table and without it the stuff looks too much like it's floating.
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by blotzphoto Quote
I went back and forth on that lien when I cropped it. It's the edge of the diner table and without it the stuff looks too much like it's floating.
Yeah I was afraid that might be the case. my brain said try it, but...

The dreamy, floating salt and pepper shaker

03-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of all the lenses I have (which cover from 10mm to 200mm with many overlaps) this one stands out and it is sort of glued to my camera as an all all-purpose prime. I have tried faster lenses of close focal length (FA 35mm f/2 and A 50 mm f/1.7 comes to mind). And I have f/2.8 zooms covering the same focal length. They are all fine, but...

The DA 40 mm f/2.8 limited does not seem good enough "on paper". "It is not faster than many zooms. The focal length is too in-between. The price is hardly justified." These may all be right; still, IT JUST FEELS RIGHT! It might have something to do with the shooting style of the photographer; I don't know... I suggest every Pentax DSLR owner should give this lens a try (without necessarily purchasing it) and then decide.

By the way, "blotzphoto"; I liked all the samples very much. Good use of the lens. Congratulations.
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
The DA 40 mm f/2.8 limited does not seem good enough "on paper". "It is not faster than many zooms. The focal length is too in-between. The price is hardly justified." These may all be right; still, IT JUST FEELS RIGHT! It might have something to do with the shooting style of the photographer; I don't know... I suggest every Pentax DSLR owner should give this lens a try (without necessarily purchasing it) and then decide.
Yes, the DA 40mm definitely "feels right" in a lot of ways. And at least in the US, I think the price is easily justified (about $220 US). Frankly, since many of us already own one or more of the FA 31, FA 35, DA 35, FA 43 or a 50mm prime, and don't "need" the DA 40, the relatively cheap price can be the easiest factor to justify buying it (though the diminutive size and great performance help...).
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

A great little limited

I have been comtemplanting this one or the FA 43 f/1.9 but after seing thousands of images from both lens, reading hundreds of threads in several forums, I´m settled to order the DA and I really believe it is the most underrated Limited of the all bunch. For the price it delivers stellar images, corner to corner and considering the size... it is probably the best pancake still in production.
This lens is the equivalent of the K200D in the camera section... the other most underrated piece of equipment in Pentax line-up. For the price a little gem and no other brand has the equivalent to the k200D in the same price range.
Still, I´m going to get (still not 100% sure about this) the even smaller K-m that coupled with the DA 40 might even beaten the Olympus compact option (E420 + Pancanke)... I know it does in terms of IQ

03-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Crispy and popping details fromt his lens. Sure you will continue the passion in pursuing other limited.
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're gonna love it - a great little lens; focuses quickly, as well.

Jer
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Red

Never will sell it, I love this lens.
03-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
Forum Member

Good Choice.. this was the first lens i ever bought.. really good lens
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

congrats on the choice, it's a great lens and even later, when you'll have faster, wider, longer whatever'er lenses you'll find yourself comming back to this little gem. It's great starting point for prime shooting. It was my first normal-ish AF prime and I love it to bits, I'm sure you will too

BR

PS: the last shot is great...
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

nice for model too
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote

Never will sell it, I love this lens.
Awwwwwwww....very nice shot!
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
I have been comtemplanting this one or the FA 43 f/1.9 but after seing thousands of images from both lens, reading hundreds of threads in several forums, I´m settled to order the DA and I really believe it is the most underrated Limited of the all bunch. For the price it delivers stellar images, corner to corner and considering the size... it is probably the best pancake still in production.
This lens is the equivalent of the K200D in the camera section... the other most underrated piece of equipment in Pentax line-up. For the price a little gem and no other brand has the equivalent to the k200D in the same price range.
Still, I´m going to get (still not 100% sure about this) the even smaller K-m that coupled with the DA 40 might even beaten the Olympus compact option (E420 + Pancanke)... I know it does in terms of IQ
Agreed on the under-rating of both the K200d and the 40mm. Together with the recent 21mm purchase and the trusty 50-200mm (love to see a better version of this lens with similar dimensions) and I am set to travel (although the 16-45mm does often come along for the ride).

Tooling around;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2897267542_ef8f11a311.jpg

I loved using it with my *DS - how does it go with the KM?