Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My 50mm 1.4 is at hand.

Yes, I returned home, earlier today, to find that the UPS truck had been here. I couldn't wait to pull that lens from the box, and slap it onto my K10D. I fooled around with it a bit, and was amazed at the detail & sharpness on some of my shots. I said just "some", because I was trying different rotational positions - and didn't really know what I was doing. But I have no regrets - whatsoever - about buying this lens. I just have to find why the shutter will not activate, with this lens, while in certain shooting modes - and I'll get into reading up on the possible reason(s) for that, tomorrow.

Very happy, none-the-less, though .

04-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Yes, I returned home, earlier today, to find that the UPS truck had been here. I couldn't wait to pull that lens from the box, and slap it onto my K10D. I fooled around with it a bit, and was amazed at the detail & sharpness on some of my shots. I said just "some", because I was trying different rotational positions - and didn't really know what I was doing. But I have no regrets - whatsoever - about buying this lens. I just have to find why the shutter will not activate, with this lens, while in certain shooting modes - and I'll get into reading up on the possible reason(s) for that, tomorrow.

Very happy, none-the-less, though .
looking forward to you posting some shots.... could you please take some wide open to show how sharp it is?
I have the SMC M 50mm 1.4 and was thinking about picking up the SMC DA 50 1.4 too... my wife would love it, and I wouldn't mind the auto focus... but might leave it in manual exposure most of the time :0

cheers

randy
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
looking forward to you posting some shots.... could you please take some wide open to show how sharp it is?
I have the SMC M 50mm 1.4 and was thinking about picking up the SMC DA 50 1.4 too... my wife would love it, and I wouldn't mind the auto focus... but might leave it in manual exposure most of the time :0

cheers

randy
Haha you mean the FA 50. I think the M50 and the FA50 optical formulas are the same if not very similar.
04-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

cheers

randy

Hello Randy.

I think that I should have been a little more descriptive of what I bought. My newly acquired lens is the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm F/1.4. I have taken a few shots with it, and was totally impressed with what it returned. However, I am presently trying to get some information on what (if anything, other than user error) might be wrong with my lens. I posted my concern in the Pentax SLR lens area, and it has to do with my not being able to shoot through this lens in any setting other than the "A" setting. Either something is wrong with the lens itself - or me .

But I can't wait to post some pics, shot with this lens, and will do so just as soon as I get this situation licked.

04-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha you mean the FA 50. I think the M50 and the FA50 optical formulas are the same if not very similar.
thanks for clearing this up for me
is the FA fully automatic (focus and exposure) and would it be fully functionable with the K100 and K10?

thanks

randy
04-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K/M - Manual everything (need to use M-mode, set aperture on lens, press green button to get a shutter speed)

A - Automatic everything but focus (provided you keep aperture ring on 'A')

F, FA, FAJ, DFA, DA - Automatic everything.

thanks for clearing this up for me
is the FA fully automatic (focus and exposure) and would it be fully functionable with the K100 and K10?

thanks

randy
04-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I posted my concern in the Pentax SLR lens area, and it has to do with my not being able to shoot through this lens in any setting other than the "A" setting. Either something is wrong with the lens itself - or me .
Did you set the custom menu to allow use of the aperture ring?
04-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Did you set the custom menu to allow use of the aperture ring?
Mike,

I (shamefully) have to admit that I did not do that, and I thank you for the notice (this same thankfulness also travels to a few others who, I just learned, directed me to that very same path).

This photography 'virus' has got me REAL bad , and I am just like a kid at Christmas, with this equipment. I know that I have to get better about reaching deeper into the manuals, and other reading materials on the subject. I have no problem doing that, but (as I don't yet know enough to ascertain as to whether something is a problem, or not) I try to get quick answers on certain concerns while yet being within the time frame for returning a piece of equipment (if so being warranted).

But, again, I thank you for that bit of information, and I am about to give that a shot as soon as I free up a little bit of time.

04-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yea the camera will only know the aperture if you use it on "A". Otherwise, you'll have to shoot on Manual and use stop down metering.
04-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep, just keep it set to "A" and use the wheel on the camera body to select aperture. You should be fine in any mode then.
04-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase NLAlston! Can't wait to see pics!
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I was just about to suggest exactly what Finn did. I must admit, though, that it took me quite a long while to notice that the aperture on "A" lenses can be selected via the camera body. My elation at the discovery was slightly marred by concurrently feeling like a total dumbass for not having noticed it before.

And the discovery has been made largely moot by my switch to M42 lenses and using the "focus then spin the aperture down until you like the shutter speed and the DOF looks good" approach.
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
And the discovery has been made largely moot by my switch to M42 lenses and using the "focus then spin the aperture down until you like the shutter speed and the DOF looks good" approach.
You know, that's a good name for it.

FTSTADUYLTSSATDOFLG!
04-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

"A"

Hello Randy.

I think that I should have been a little more descriptive of what I bought. My newly acquired lens is the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm F/1.4. I have taken a few shots with it, and was totally impressed with what it returned. However, I am presently trying to get some information on what (if anything, other than user error) might be wrong with my lens. I posted my concern in the Pentax SLR lens area, and it has to do with my not being able to shoot through this lens in any setting other than the "A" setting. Either something is wrong with the lens itself - or me .

But I can't wait to post some pics, shot with this lens, and will do so just as soon as I get this situation licked.[/COLOR]
First off, not to insult your intelligence, I imagine you know you "must" keep it in "A" mode on the lens. Secondly. It is often as simple as taking the lens off of the camera and replacing it back on to the unit with a very solid twist to lock. Re-start the camera and it should be fine. This has happened a couple of times with a couple of my lenses. I re-mounted them and they worked perfectly. I think people are a bit concerned about snapping them in to place too aggressively. It really has to click soundly in to the housing.

Ben