Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bell & Howell Lens Kit

I have a Bell & Howell lens kit that I bought in High School in 1982 or so for use with my K1000. The kit was made up of a 28mm wide angle lens and a 80-200mm macro zoom.

I'm pretty sure Bell & Howell is no more, and I haven't really been able to find any info on the net about these lenses other than the little instruction book that I have. The image quality sucks, and the zoom is very loose, but I was curious if anyone else remembered this kit. If I recall correctly, it was marketed as a special kit for students to compliment the 50mm normal lens that came with the K1000 at a very reasonable price.

Does anyone else remember this? Does something like this have any value from a collector's standpoint even though they have no practical use? I'll upload some pictures shortly.

03-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are some pics

03-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
BTW, please don't critique the pics. I know they are bad
03-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I know little about Bell & Howell but I am sure someone will buy them from you to use if you find the right marketplace and right price. I've sold uglier no-name lenses on eBay before. Although times were better....

03-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
BTW, please don't critique the pics. I know they are bad
They're not that bad, certainly good enough to see all the details. The camera meter is easily fooled by black lenses on a white background. You can do some awesome shots with a light tent, which you can buy or make for almost nothing. Mine is a cardboard box, some tracing paper, tape and posterboard.

Those lenses still look pretty good, caps and all. I've never heard of anyone looking for the rare Bell and Howell package deal but you never know.

This is bad. The seller ended up with maybe 60% less than the actual value.

03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bad Image Quality

For comparison, here is a shot of my hamster's cage from about 5 feet using the B&H 28mm lens.

and here is the same shot using the lens that came with my K20D, the DA 18-55 AL II

03-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, I know little about Bell & Howell but I am sure someone will buy them from you to use if you find the right marketplace and right price. I've sold uglier no-name lenses on eBay before. Although times were better....
I'm actually not sure I actually want to sell them, just because they bring back fond memories of the time I spent in the darkroom back then. I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone else remembers them and if they have any value. Maybe I ought to take them to the Antique's Road Show