Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hin,
I forgot to add that you have really done it now. With this thread, I anticipate a sudden increase in the auction price of a 19AH by at least $50-$100...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hin,
I forgot to add that you have really done it now. With this post, I anticipate a sudden increase in the auction price of a 19AH by at least $50-$100...

Steve
Steve, that can't be possible -- it would mean I'd bought a lens before the price sky-rocketed. If that ever happened the universe would self-destruct ... ;D
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have few product shots of the 19AH next to Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 from Komine with 'A'

At shortest length, not much difference

When extended, the Tamron is longer, looks like 2 inches difference
but the Tamron has a partial lens hood extending to the 210mm end

Vivitar extends from 210mm to 70mm

Tamron extends from 70mm to 210mm

Tamron adaptall-2 pk/a Adapter

The screw that I scrape up on surface is the top left one on this picture

I have tried to scrape off the top screw closest to the three electrical contacts on bottom, I only manage to get to maximum aperture of f/4.0 in AE mode, but not f/3.5. I wonder what else to try? Help appreciated.

Two other PF lens threads on adaptall AE mode problems:

Last edited by hinman; 03-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
03-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hinman: After scraping the glue of screw #1, my 52B 90/2.5 referred to in your linked thread above now shows f/2.4 as the maximum aperture on my K10D when in Av mode. I can control aperture stop using the e-dial. The lens lists AE_32 as the minimum aperture for the "a" setting stop. Boz's website suggests this would not be possible if my maximum aperture was f/4.5 or slower
The Tamron KA Adaptall Mount
When Joachim Hein read the above discussion, he immediately understood the roots of the exposure problems that some Adaptall lenses have. These are all "slow" lenses with minimum aperture setting of f/22 and an "AE" setting or f/32 and no "AE" setting In the latter case, f/32 is converted to "AE"). "AE" is the Tamron equivalent of the Pentax "A" setting. Looking in the second column of the table above, we see that there is no contact pattern for lenses with apertures ranging between f/4.5 or slower and f/22. Tamron solves this by making the Adaptall mount indicate a maximum aperture of f/4 and warning in the mount manual that the photographer must watch the aperture read-out in the view-finder (not available with P30/P50!) to ensure that only values within the true aperture range are used.

Read the text by scrolling down about 2/3 page.

From Matt's Lenses: Adaptall-2 mount -
Pentax KA Notes
NOTE: for Tamron lenses with a max aperture of f4.5 or slower, use aperture priority AE or manual modes when a viewfinder-indicated aperture value is faster than the original max aperture to avoid accidental underexposure. Don't ask me, that's what the manual says.
I have noticed exposure issues in my first shots with my new lens on the K10D and have yet to extensively test or expose versus a hand held meter with the lens - that's a project for a sunny Saturday. I hope one of those comes soon. With an f/2.5 maximum aperture I'm not certain that the above limitations apply to my lens - although I've read Joachim Hein's text 5 time I can't wuite figure out what to do with the aperture readout. Sounds like Matt is confused, too.

I have taken part of a roll with the lens mounted to a Spotmatic F and an ES mount - of course I manually set the shutter speed and aperture combination to suit my DoF needs for the shots. We'll see how they turn out.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #20

I've had two copies of this lens and it is one of my favorite manual-focus zooms, although it also works quite well with the Pentax 1.7 AF Adapter. I bought my first used one for around $50, but it was a little shabby, but then then found a new old stock one on eBay for under $100. It never leaves my bag.

It's very solidly built and optically very good. I can confrm that the minimum reported aperture is f4.0 on the K10D, but this is a known issue with the PKA adapter.

Mike
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
The screw that I scratch up on surface is the top left one on this picture
Hin,
I have the 70-150/3.5 of the same era and get f/3.5 as the maximum aperture with the P/KA adapter. My adapter was always a little flaky (often F---) until I scraped the surfaces of the two flat-faced "donut" contacts with the tip of an Exacto knife.

Regarding your issue...Are both of the "tabs" engaged properly on the aperture ring and is the mount fully engaged at the end of its stop with the release tab popped up? It is my understanding that the position of the left tab (base towards you, green dot on top) communicates the position of the aperture ring. The position of the right tab is supposed to index to the maximum aperture.

I am not exactly sure how the P/KA adapter works. Using Mark Roberts' pin guide, it appears that the "A" pin is the spring-loaded ball in-between the other two black "donut" connectors. Edit..I think I am reading this wrong...There is nothing at the #1 position, a black insulator at the #2 position, a switchable contact at the #3 and #4 positions, and nothing at the #5 position. The P/KA mount pre-dates the data pin, so that should be of no concern. There are also the three small divots on the mount flange and two more divots on the inner step flange immediately inward from positions #3 and #4. One of the divots is in-between the #1 and data pin, but the others don't correspond to anything on the body. (I think the divots are manufacturing index marks.)

A quick look at Roberts' chart and it is apparent that you can't account for known Adaptall-2 lenses since all would have the pattern mask of 10x*x1.end wrong stuff

It makes me think that Pentax may have supported more than one version of the "A" lens interface. I think I may spend some time with my ohm meter and the P/KA mount...

Edit...Start of better stuff...added after a session with the multimeter

I think I misread the contact spacing. How about
  • insulator at #1
  • switchable at #2
  • nothing at #3
  • nothing at #4
  • switchable at #5

Pattern mask = 0x1*1x

Here is the measured pattern for my two lenses with the P/KA adapter assuming the above mask

28/2.5 : 011*11
70-150/3.5 : 001*11

These fit Roberts' chart (see here). Unfortunately the chart does not include lenses having a minimum aperture of f/22 and a maximum of f/4.5 and narrower.

end better stuff

Steve

(My brain is full...may I be excused...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the thorough replies, I will try it again on two donut shaped connectors along with others.

Thanks,
Hin

03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thank you all for the thorough replies, I will try it again on two donuts shaped connectors along with others.

Thanks,
Hin
Thank you once again for all the provided information but I still fail to get this working with simple scraping on noted screw and donuts shaped connector. It is as if my maximum aperture is always set for f/4.0. I will revisit all the provided material and keep trying.

With more use on this zoom, this lens easily won me over any of the first three versions of Vivitar Series 1. Most of my test pictures in JPEG come out without any need of touch up on color and contrast. That doesn't happen with my Komine Series 1 zoom. The zoom ring has no zoom creep at all and it is the best zoom ring that I have used with precision in focusing. It will get my Highly Recommended Rating. I sum up my initial impressions in Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH

Last edited by hinman; 03-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well I have to blame you for this Hinman, I took one of my copies out for a run today as I haven't used it much since getting a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.
I must admit my MF skills have got very rusty as I was out fo focus on a lot of shots but anyway, I will be using it a lot more again now, the colours and contrast knock the Sigma sideways imo.

03-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Well I have to blame you for this Hinman, I took one of my copies out for a run today as I haven't used it much since getting a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.
I must admit my MF skills have got very rusty as I was out fo focus on a lot of shots but anyway, I will be using it a lot more again now, the colours and contrast knock the Sigma sideways imo.
Mike, great pictures as always! They are very sharp to me. Perhaps the baby picture is a bit soft but all others have the scenes captured with great color and lighting.

I am following you footstep. I got so crazy about this zoom that I am getting my 2nd copy of 19AH on delivery. This 2nd copy has the original lens hood. After 2 weeks of looking everywehre for the 49FH lens hood, I gave up. And to top off the crush on 19AH, I have ordered a new copy of adapter-all pk/a mount and the 2x flat field TC. The scraping on pk/a adaptall-2 adapter doesn't work for my copy. I want a true pk/a adapter for wide open apertures or perhaps lens with f/2.8 such as your 35-80 f/2.8-3.8 or the undocumented 35-105mm f/2.8.

And I sold my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 with A from Komine to fund the new purchase.

I am still looking for solution in finding a lens hood for my spare 19AH. Is the original 19AH lens hood 64mm or 63mm in size? I hope I can find an alternative solution with a matching lens hood so that the buyer for my spare will have a proper lens hood.

Last edited by hinman; 03-10-2009 at 08:19 PM.
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is funny or co-incidence like Mike. I now have two copies of 19AH. For the life beyond me, I have not been able to find the mysterious lens hood on the 19AH by the model of Tamron 49FH lens hood, I ended up buying another copy of 19AH just to get the original lens hood -- you all know I get serious LBA to buy a lens just to get the lens hood.

Is it worth -- you bet? LBA has all the excuses for reasoning! But the mystery still remains as I can't find any damn lens hood in 67mm size that will fit the lens. The lens hood has to clear opening with something like 80mm diameter on the wider end so that the push/pull from 70 to 210mm work with the zoom. If you know of a lens hood that fit, please let me know as I like to find a replacement for the future owner of my lens.

Also, another unsolved problem is that I get a brand new adaptall pk/a adapter from Frank and it still has the problems of recognizing AE only up to f/4.0 and not anything bigger. With some scraping and wiggling, I sometime get to f/3.5 for the 19AH but it is still not consistent as in 1 success out of 5 trials. I am dumb founded with the adaptall pk/a adapter.

Some more test photos,

PF hinting seen though
cloudy day and tricky lighting

Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My mother asked me to do a photo of her dog for a print.
I dont think any lens would better the 70-210mm on this.

04-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike, very cute pictures. Are you using any optical filter on your 19AH lens? The reason that I ask is that I find PF/CA quite apparent in my use. I will classify PF/CA as moderate but I buy this lens for all the goodness sake and one thing I don't quite like in Vivitar Series 1 Zoom from Komine is the frequent showing of PF. I tried a cheap UV filter in 62mm but it seems no use. I like to hear your thoughts on PF or that if you are using a decent UV filter, UV filter recommendation are welcome.

Also, I know you like the close up but I find it varies from good to disappointing, especially in seeing ghosting in images sometime, e.g. Maybe user fault in the butterfly sample -- I was using a cheap Sunpak 62mm UV filter at the time of this shot.

The lens is extremely sharp for a zoom lens and it has the BEST manual focusing that I like to find in a $100~$200 zoom lens. But I do find the caveats in close up and quite frequent showing of moderate PF/CA. The other area that it serves quite well is the color.

Impressions & Notes:
  • The zoom is outstanding in sharpness for a zoom. It equals and exceeds over all the first three versions of Vivitar Series 1 zoom that I have used with Kiron, Tokina and Komine
  • Color is good to outstanding
  • I have more PF/CA showing when used with K20D, but I will classify them as moderate
  • Close up is not as good as I have experienced with Vivitar Series 1. Both the Komine and Kiron Vivitar Series 1 zoom fair better in close up.
  • Handling takes some time to get used to. But its manual focusing zoom is one of the best that I find in 1-touch zoom.
  • This zoom allows quick and precise focusing needs. It beats all the Vivitar zooms that I have used. No zoom creep for sure. With catch-in-focus enabled in K20D, this is a charmer for quick and precise manual focusing.
  • AE allows Av aperture mode
  • Very consistent and reliable in performance

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.
04-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hin.
I have never seen much in the way of PF/CA when using the lens but I mainly use it now for portrait type shots where it would not appear. I don't use filters.
As for close up, I think it is an excellent lens for this, especially at 210mm and have never seen the ghosting effect shown on your butterfly. I do very often get a hazy effect when using it in bright sunshine but Lightroom takes care of that.