Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K20D with Sigma 50-500mm

Alright, I need some help understanding the threads on this lens. It is my understanding that this lens has a HSM in it, and that HSM is supported by the K10D/K20D cameras. While I have checked on the Sigma site and they make no claim that it will work on Pentax, the threads I'm reading says that it does. Can someone verify for me one way or the other before I order this lens? I have even checked the reviews in the third party lens section and find conflicting information. Or, are there other models of this lens. I am somewhat confused. I have found this lens for sale stating it is for Pentax with a HSM, "Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO RF Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras." So, OK. Does it or doesn't it have a HSM, and does it work with the K20D?

03-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This lens in Pentax mount does NOT have the HSM. It only has HSM in the other mounts.. sorry

Here is a link to the Sigma website: Sigma - Lenses

Notice the text in the HSM section:

The HSM models (the HSM is only available for AF Canon, Nikon, Four Thirds and Sigma Mounts) provide quiet high-speed AF function, as well as full time manual focus capability.

John
03-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jerome, as a long time Bigma owner I would not let the lack of HSM stop me from purchasing the Bigma. This lens works fairly well and fast with the screw drive in good light, of course, if silence is your need, then it might be a slight problem. In less than very good light the Bigma hunts like a coon dog, and HSM will not cure that I'm sure. It is a slow lens, and I prefer MF for most work. MF works well for me and many other Bigma owners I know, of course there are reasons some need AF .......less than perfect eyesight etc. I would be very unhappy with the Bigma if I had to depend strictly on AF, HSM or not. MF is very necessary witht the Bigma.
If you can live with this, the Bigma is a stellar lens, providing abilities and IQ at a very reasonable cost for shots you would otherwise miss.
If you go to my Galleries here, the first two, squirrels and birds contain (in the later pages) many, many, Bigma shots. Anything you see in the EXIF below the photos with a MM longer than 300 was shot with the Bigma. I post the good ,bad, and ugly in my Galleries, but I think that you can see enough good to realize the value of the Bigma. It is my avorite lens, no PF, no CA, no flare...just a good dependable lens that performs well wide open from 50-500 and everywhere in between. Many say it is an amazing lens....I cetainly agree.
I hope this helps you some, I was not expecting too much when I bought my Bigma a long time back, but it has amazed me from the start, and still does.
Also notice the shutter speeds on some shots when used with the K10-20D. With SR the Bigma is even a better value, allowing some shots otherwise missed.
James Williams's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Here is a Bigma shot at 50MM..it is handy at every range.
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can only second Rupert's praise of the Bigma. Forget about SDM - it is really not a decisive factor, when it comes to reach and versatility. There is no competition for the Bigma. I was very positively surprised by the image quality when I got mine. I did not expect it to be as good as it really is. As Rupert wrote, AF hunts in low light levels, but that is to be expected, considering its comparetively slow open aperture.

You will read in many threads, that it gets soft beyond 400mm focal length - and that is true, no denying of that. But it is still sharp and you can contrast in almost any case back to normal in post-processing.

Otherwise the Bigma handles astonishingly easy for its long focal length and its weight, though if you use a monopod you will get much sharper images (the first time, I found my monopod really useful).

There are a few things, that are irritating: the zoom creep, which is more a zoom bang, as the whole tubing simply falls down in the wakes of gravity as soon as you let the Bigma hang freely from your neck and the AF/Manual setting of the focus ring, which will block AF function, when in the M position - not by design, but simply because focusing seems to need much force then, more than the camera can provide.

But non one of these things outweighs its advantages the least. I use it much more than my 400/5.6 (though that is stunningly sharp), the 500/4.5 (big and bulky, needs a gimbal) or even my 300/4, because it is so versatile.

Ben

03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Palmor,Rupert, and Ben Edict,
Thanks to all three of you for replying. Palmor, I did read that statement at their web site, but I had no clue if AF would work or not. No where on their site did they say what type of motor if any, was in the lens for Pentax, therefore my statment about them of not saying it would work or not.

Rupert, and Ben, thanks, you answered the question I needed answered. I have about 12 more hours of overtime to put in, and that baby is mine. With the next Space Shuttle going up the middle of this month that will not be a problem. The slowness and the weight cannot be any worse after using a Tak f4.5-500mm for the last 28 years. One of the biggest complaints I keep finding is weight. Myself, if it isn't heavy, it's most likely (junk) a real inexpensive lens. The picture quality I keep finding on the web is just astounding. At four pounds and the price. I was sure hoping it would fully integrate to the K20D. My confusion kept comming in because some threads would say AF works well, turn around and another thread says too bad no HSM. By that, I thought they meant no AF. The fact that MF is required for some conditions, NOT a problem. Confusion ended. Thanks everyone for replying. Jerome
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerome Smith Quote
Palmor,Rupert, and Ben Edict,
Thanks to all three of you for replying. Palmor, I did read that statement at their web site, but I had no clue if AF would work or not. No where on their site did they say what type of motor if any, was in the lens for Pentax, therefore my statment about them of not saying it would work or not.
Jerome
Ahh I see how that could be confusing Can't wait to see the space shuttle photos! I saw a take off back in May '99 and it was spectacular. At the time I only had a 200mm lens and would have loved something like the Bigma for it!

John
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, after looking at the pictures with my wife (The Finance Minister). I couldn't wait. It will be here Thursday. We will see what I can do for shuttle pictures come the 12th. I'm still new to the web site and am not sure how to use a lot of the features here. But, as I learn I will post them for all. Thanks for the information everyone.

03-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerome Smith Quote
my wife (The Finance Minister)
oh, it seems i'm not alone.

i'm hoping to see your space-shuttle photos, we don't have anything like that over here.
03-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jerome, I am sure you will put the Bigma to good use. And you will use the long fl much more often than the old 500/4.5 - at least I do, because the 500 is so big and bulky. If I use it all now, it always is attached to a gimbal mount and then the whole thing looks like an anti-aircraft gun. Compared to that, the Bigma looks friendly and small.

Ben