Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The old Pentax 15/3.5 is a dream lens . I have been using one for years and it is very sharp and contrasty on the DSLR, too, with very beautiful colour rendering. The lens was originally developt by Zeiss and Pentax as a joint venture, but as you wrote, Pentax used an aspherical element in the first series. At that time, when aspherical lenses had to be cut and ground and polished and have not been moulded, that was simply too expensive. Even the later all-spherical lenses were not sold at discount prices...
The only drawback I observe with the 15/3.5 is, that it is very prone to flare, with all sorts of colours and shapes, due to the rays comming in through the iris at weird angles.

Ben
My experience with the Pentax 15/3.5 on digital is somewhat mixed. My K version is considerably sharper than my A version, and neither is anywhere near as good as my DA 14/2.8 in both contrast and sharpness. The 15/3.5 design is especially weaker in the corners compared to the DA 14. However, the 15/3.5 seems to perform much better on film, probably because images are not enlarged as much.

The other drawback to the 15/3.5 design is the size/weight - it is a monster compared to the DA 14!

Regards, Jim

03-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #47
Site Supporter

That image reminds me of the corner softness of a manual focusing Sigma 24/2.8 i had many years ago. I sold it as fast as I could and got a SMC 24/2.8 instead. Lived happily ever after...
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
motion blur at 1/1000?

do you not see the effect on the people?

do you not see the effect on the sail going up?
You're right, of course. Initially I saw only the clouds.
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just don't see how you can judge the lens by that shot. It's focused to infinity, so in this composition, everything in the foreground--and there's a lot of it--is disturbingly out of focus.

I'd like to see the same shot where the end focus is on the sail.

03-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just don't see how you can judge the lens by that shot. It's focused to infinity, so in this composition, everything in the foreground--and there's a lot of it--is disturbingly out of focus.

I'd like to see the same shot where the end focus is on the sail.
let me just get in my boat again... :ugh:

fine, for the non believers, focused 3 feet away.

03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I once bought a Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 lens with M42 mount (for only 15 euros). It looks great mechanically, everything works flawless. Only... On a crop camera the pictures are too soft and show a lot of abberations. So I put the lens away.

Now, a few days ago I bought an used Canon 5D to finally see how a FF camera works with my lenses. Imagine my disbelief when I got this out of the Canon:

Granted, a 100% crop is still soft, but this at least proves that you MUST use FF lenses on a FF camera to get the most out of it, and I also learned that FF is much more forgiving to "bad" lenses!

So that's why I'm so desperately waiting for a FF camera from Pentax (yes, still, because I don't like the controls of the 5D at all and the screen on the back is a joke).
Looks like you have been shopping at IKEA. You and I appear to have the same desk and file cabinet, but my cabinet doesn't have handles (don't like handles anway).
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
let me just get in my boat again... :ugh:

fine, for the non believers, focused 3 feet away.
...[image can be seen above]
Ouch! Yes, that's much more immediately obvious (although you had me at "sail" before :-). And, curiously, it looks significantly - actually, let's call it *tremendously* - worse than the shots someone posted that were taken will a cheap 1-element Digital King "wide angle converter" over in the Pentax dpreview forum. Wow.