Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*50-135 Returns From Service Center

I sent my DA*50-135 to the Colorado service center on 1/29/09 with a failed SDM motor and today I received a package in return containing a brand new lens and a note giving me a full year warranty. My old warranty was to expire in April. I guess you can't ask for any better than this, and I have checked it out and it seems to perform flawlessly. There have been several reports of SDM failure in this lens, but I am hoping it is just a limited number and not any sort of indication of a more serious nature.
The lens itself is spectacular IMO, rendering excellent results with great features. Weatherproofing, quiet, fast (enough for me), and with quick shift it is just a right handy lens to own. I missed it a lot in the last month. I give it a "Highly Recommended", for what that is worth, and a big thanks to the Pentax Service Center too!
A quick snapper with the new lens:
K20D 95mm F2.8 1/13 Handheld@ ISO 1600 of a shot hanging in my office of a little Coon I took with my original DA*50-135 lens at ISO 6400 with my K20D a while back.

03-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

congrats on the brand new lens.
guess you can now continue to shoot festus and family

regards,

jordan
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jordan...I am happy to have it back and Festus is also. His favorite lens is the Bigma, where he can stand off a little from me. Although I can feed him out of my hand, he often makes me go back in the house and use some mouthwash if I am too close. He is very courteous about it...he just says " use mouthwash or use the Bigma, you stink".
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

LOL.

i'm sure you've read many threads about you and festus in the 'other' forum.

what'd you think about Pentax's display tomorrow at the PMA?

from the initial news, there seems to be no DSLR announcement, just a bridge cam, so i guess the k20 and k200's replacement will be here in the summer.

k20's price is pretty good today, but i'll have to run that purchase by the finance manager first

regards,
jordan

03-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Rupert, glad to hear Pentax treated you right. I hope this one gives you many years of great service. I agree with you that the lens is stellar and seems custom-made for the K20D.

The fact that they sent you a new lens might indicate that they have a new part/assembly that they are now using, and that the original one was somehow defective. I hope not as I was an early adopter (got it in Dec 07). Is the warranty on the original purchase 1 or 2 years?
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I sent my DA*50-135 to the Colorado service center on 1/29/09 with a failed SDM motor and today I received a package in return containing a brand new lens and a note giving me a full year warranty.
Mine's due to arrive in a couple days. Repair status shows a different serial number than what I sent in- funny thing is, the one they're sending me has a *lower* serial number than the original.
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Russ/Never satisfied.....

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Mine's due to arrive in a couple days. Repair status shows a different serial number than what I sent in- funny thing is, the one they're sending me has a *lower* serial number than the original.
Russ, if you read what Neversatisfied just wrote, it makes you wonder? My ser# on the new one is 3,787 BELOW the one I sent it. I don't know what to make of this?
03-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jordan.....

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
LOL.

i'm sure you've read many threads about you and festus in the 'other' forum.

what'd you think about Pentax's display tomorrow at the PMA?

from the initial news, there seems to be no DSLR announcement, just a bridge cam, so i guess the k20 and k200's replacement will be here in the summer.

k20's price is pretty good today, but i'll have to run that purchase by the finance manager first

regards,
jordan
I doubt that we will see a K20D replacement soon, and maybe not even an announcement of a replacement? The world economy is not in good shape, to say the least, and therefore I am not expecting much from Pentax at this time. Anything beyond those expectations will be a bonus for me.
As for the K20D, I am a well known outspoken fan of the K20D, one of the reasons I am no longer at "other" places. It is a superb camera and should fill anyone's needs for a long time to come. I couldn't be more happy than I am with mine. The current price is amazingly low, and I bought mine last April at $1135. but would gladly pay that again now if necessary to replace it with a new one. I am not knocking the DS or others, or the K10D, I have them too and love them, but with the K20D I never even touch the others, it is that much better for my usage. If you get one, I would highly suspect that you would feel the same.
Regards!

03-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

An excellent capture and good to frame the prints on the wall. Glad to see more posts coming from you
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Seems as if Pentax have treated you very fairly. I have not yet got a DA*50-135 but it is on my LBA list. I hope the problems with SDM are infrequent as I now have 2 SDM lenses - a DA*16-50 and a DA*300. Fortunately no problems with SDM so far.
It is good to see you on Pentax Forums as you (and Festus) are sorely missed in "the other place".

Archie
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the 50-135 and have my fingers crossed. Still, it's good to know that Pentax will do me right should things go awry.
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still fumbling around.....

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
An excellent capture and good to frame the prints on the wall. Glad to see more posts coming from you
I am still learning the site Roentarre, and just sort of fumble around in here, but am getting the hang of it. Much improved over the past couple of years! My regards to the great job you all have done! It is much more tuned for real shooters and learners and less for those that are looking for sensationalism and trouble....I like that a lot!

Thank you for the comment on the little framed "coon shot". I have a gallery downtown and it is one of the favorites. It is also most likely responsible for my being here now, which is a good thing. This coon shot at ISO 6400 received ridicule at "other" places and my steadfast defense of this shot and my K20D led some to plot my demise. Seems it was again my good fortune at work behind the scenes.....I am a lucky guy, always have been! Look where I am now, right here with you guys!

I am having a lot of mail ask me for Festus shots, and I have "Festus Shoot" lined up later tis week, so maybe I a can get up a couple this week. He is a lot more popular than I am for sure, and definitely more photogenic!
Thanks again for your warm welcome!
Regards,
Rupert
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let's cross our fingers Archie....

QuoteOriginally posted by helios Quote
Seems as if Pentax have treated you very fairly. I have not yet got a DA*50-135 but it is on my LBA list. I hope the problems with SDM are infrequent as I now have 2 SDM lenses - a DA*16-50 and a DA*300. Fortunately no problems with SDM so far.
It is good to see you on Pentax Forums as you (and Festus) are sorely missed in "the other place".

Archie
I really love this lens, and I hear and see great things of the 16-50 and 300, although the 16-50 has a checkered reputation. I am hopeful that Pentax will provide firmware that will allow the screw drive to work on these lenses if SDM fails. I know it is not the same, but it is better than having a high dollar MF lens in a few years if SDM fails again out of warranty. I would also be interested in the cost of SDM repair/replacement in an out of warranty lens? These are most likely worries not necessary, but you know how we are!
Regards
BTW-Good to be here, Festus is trying to lose a little weight for a "Festus Shoot" later this week. I hope to post some new shots of him soon, but he is weight conscious and a little shy lately....he is so afraid he will be mistaken for Mama Festus. Not that bad...yet!
Mama Festus
03-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Rupert. I decided to sign up for Pentax Forums after what the other forum did to you. There is so much fighting going on over there right now, and not just over your situation, but everything!!

I am glad to hear that you reveived a new 50-135mm. I am still waiting to get my new K20D back from Pentax. I sent it in for focus issues a week after i bought it and they sent it back with a chip on the rear LCD. So I had to send it back for LCD replacement. So right now I am camera-less because I sold my K10D. : (
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Got Mine Back Today

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Russ, if you read what Neversatisfied just wrote, it makes you wonder? My ser# on the new one is 3,787 BELOW the one I sent it. I don't know what to make of this?
And it looks to be a re-furb. Showed signs of disassembly- the rubber grip around the focus ring wasn't fully inserted around the top (just under the gold ring); I had to carefully work it back under the lip using my thumbnail. Also on the retaining ring around the inside of the objective, the two spanner-wrench slots were slightly marked up and missing a bit of finish. Lens surfaces were pristine.

Well, the focussing is fast, quiet, accurate; no front or back focus whatsoever. And the images are clear and sharp even wide open. Hey it works, and I've got a whole extra year of warranty. Guess I can't complain.

Another poster had asked about out-of-warranty repair costs? $180 labor (less 50% after I contacted them), $62 parts, and tax and shipping. So, final cost $163.

The only thing I find odd is why, if this one's probably a repair, and the same thing was being done to my original lens, they didn't just send mine back as opposed to this "new" one? Curious...