Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why long range lenses for landscape shots?

I've read several posts on a variety of forums about using a longer range lens...say 77mm and up for landscape shots and I'm a bit confused as to why so I'd like to hear your take on this. Do you prefer wide angle lenses or long lenses for landscape shots and why?

04-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends, but generally I like a shorter lens because there is less flattening of the perspective, and generally greater clarity because when you're closer to your subject the light doesn't have to travel through so much air (and dust and smog and pollen and...) on the way to the camera.

Then again, using a wide angle lens can lead to the temptation of photographing broad vistas that lack a point of focus -- deadly!!!

Sometimes you just want to focus on a smaller piece of the landscape you're looking at, so a tele can be of great use as well. I keep both in my bag at all times, just in case.
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes, ultra-wide angles either cover too much or just don't magnify enough to make a good photo.

Here are a few examples, taken with the A* 200mm:

You can see what I mean by comparing these two shots:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see! Thanks for the help guys I've used zoom lenses for landscape shots like the ones you've demonstrated Mo but the way I interpreted the threads I read was that if you shot the exact same scene, same composition, crop etc.. the longer lens would have an advantage to the wide lens and I wasn't sure why.

Thanks again Finn and Mo, I appreciate your clarification.

Last edited by Photochop; 04-03-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: grammatical error
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #5

I took this picture this past weekend, an example of a really wide landscape 10mm if I remember correctly.

04-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice! Looks like a picture out of a science fiction novel. I have the Zenitar but I lust for the Pentax 10-17.