Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What's wrong with this lens?

I just got an old Chinon 135/2.8 and took a couple of test pics out my window. Sadly it seems there is something very wrong with it. Is this a decentered element somewhere in the lens or what?

You will note in the pics below that while some areas of the picture appear in focus, there are vertical areas that look totally wrong.

Attached Images

03-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I just got an old Chinon 135/2.8 and took a couple of test pics out my window. Sadly it seems there is something very wrong with it. Is this a decentered element somewhere in the lens or what?
Maybe a very stupid question, but did you shoot this through your window glass?
03-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Maybe a very stupid question, but did you shoot this through your window glass?
Yeah, I sure did... But... I've done similar things before without things appearing so crooked... I thought..? Although I see what you mean and now have a creeping feeling of having overlooked something VERY stupid... I'm just going to pop outside with the lens for a minute to see how absolutely incompetent I am. Be right back.
03-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is now the thread where everyone gets to laugh at me for being such a complete and utter DUNCE. I'm not even going to say anything else. That will teach me to have old, uneven window glass, I guess...

On the bright side, this seems like a pretty decent 135, although it CA's like a motherfrigger on digital.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
03-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This is now the thread where everyone gets to laugh at me for being such a complete and utter DUNCE. I'm not even going to say anything else. That will teach me to have old, uneven window glass, I guess...

On the bright side, this seems like a pretty decent 135, although it CA's like a motherfrigger on digital.
We used to have very old window glass, and the distortions looked familiar (those windows are now replaced by new ones which aren't that uneven, but they don't have the beautiful clarity of old glass).

The lens looks very good, I think.
03-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This is now the thread where everyone gets to laugh at me for being such a complete and utter DUNCE.
Think of it as an educational experience. Now you know what Canon glass looks like.
(not really, but I just couldn't resist)
03-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

Naughty!!
03-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
WJW
Veteran Member

You could always claim you shot these with a Holga and sell them for big bucks as "art."

03-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Tamron AF 24-135mm that produces very similar results to your first set ever since I dropped it.
And my shots were taken outside
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This makes me wonder how some of my film prints will be like when I get them back..............
03-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't worry guys; I'm stupid, and the lens is fine. I was just out and shot properly with it. Results: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/511861-post336.html
03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Think of it as an educational experience. Now you know what Canon glass looks like.
This is the wrong thread for throwing stones, something might actually get broken here, Hopefully a window
03-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is the wrong thread for throwing stones, something might actually get broken here, Hopefully a window
That was so baaad
03-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is now the thread where everyone gets to laugh at me for being such a complete and utter DUNCE.
No. No!!! Take a look at "Pentax Forums First New Years Honours List" in General Talk. I think we may have a winner for this year, perhaps in more than one category.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Wheatfields is definitely in the running for "one Liner" of the year.