Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New member- Pentax 100 vs Sigma 105 Macro Question

Hi,

I just joined the forum after happening on it's excellent lens review section. I found the information much more helpful than the usual reviews I read. I am about to buy either the Pentax 100 macro or the Sigma 105 macro. Does anybody have experience with both? If so which one would you recommend. I have a K20D. The lens will be used primarily (if not exclusively) for the macro function.

Thanks so much in advance!!

03-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed that no one ever complains about a particular new macro lens's IQ, or celebrates one dramatically over the other. The differences are always features, handling, price, etc. I don't own either Pentax or Sigma, though.
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I swear thi sis asked once a week. For the final time ......

Pentax:

- Slow AF, horrific
- somewhat plastic build
+ outstanding colour anbd contrast
+ light, small and portable

Siggy:

- Heavy and large ... mostly heavy
- very warm colour cast, needs correction
+built like a tank

Sharpness is a wash.

The Tamron has better AF than the sigma and is smaller and lighter but somewhat muddy Tamron colour compared to the Pentax.
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have 3 Sigma lens and have been very happy with them (10-20, 28, and the 50 macro). The Sigma is usually less expensive, but Amazon has a Canadian camera store selling them for the same price so....

I'll probably go with the Pentax. I've been extremely happy with the Pentax 35mm and the little 40mm. I really want to get that 21 at some point.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I just joined this forum and can see I'll be doing a lot less work in the office!

03-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just watch the AF, it can be a real pain in the arse.
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow those 21 shots are great! The black and white bridge is gorgeous. I really want that lens. Maybe I'll go with that instead of the macro.

Thanks so much!!!
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you have LBA.
03-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DFA100 and I'll say that it's definitely a great lens. One thing that is nice about most of the modern Pentax lenses is that they have a quick-focusing ring, so that makes AF less of a pain; it definitely comes in handy in macro shots.

BTW, I have the 21, also and it's also great. I still would say that since you're planning on using your macro lens for macro and assuming that you don't have any other lenses with closeup capabilities, then go for the macro first and then get the 21 later (assuming that you currently have a lens that covers that length).

Yes, I do see a case of LBA coming on and it needs to be nipped in the bud. Get yourself a large zipper bag and fill it with water. Open up wallet and remove and remove all plastic bearing the names of Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and Discover (with the exception of any debit cards tied to a checking account). Drop cards into water-filled zipper bag and close bag. Place bag filled with water and plastic into freezer and forget about it. If you do get the LBA itch and don't have the cash handy to finance it, you'll have to get the frozen bag out of the freezer and wait...and wait...and wait many hours before you can retrieve your plastic from the bag. By then, perhaps your LBA urges would've passed and you can simply stick the bag back into the freezer.

HTH,
Heather

03-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's macro slow AF?
I have the FA, without the focus limiter, and it focuses reasonably fast - remembering it has a very long throw, especially between 0.31 and 0.7m.
And it is a shaaaarp lens - even at f/2.8.
I use it for concerts, portraits as well as macro work.
Superb lens. Will not diappoint.