Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha I honestly wish Vivitar Series 1 would be back. I guess they are here only somewhat in the sense that while the legendary lenses / manufacturers of past are long gone (save tokina), they are still trying to put out some respectable product line.

Speaking of Series 1, I just dropped my vivitar S1 28-90/2.8-3.5 during a shoot earlier today. Just rolled off the table and hit the floor with a resounding thud (no bounce). Everyone in the room froze and turned to see my lens rolling across the floor. I picked it up, inspected it for a second and laughed. No wonder they called it the Stovepipe.

03-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Is this a good thing re: Sakar

There used to be some real gems in the older Vivitar 1 series.

I'm not an expert on these older lenses, but I thought it all boiled down to who made each different Vivitar 1 lens.

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

What will be different with these new vivitar series 1 lenses, is that none of the old players in vivitar manufacturing are involved anymore.

Sakar bought the Vivitar name last year, so it will be Sakar making the lenses, or do they outsource as well? Anyone familiar with Sakar. I only know them for making cheap 3rd party add-on lenses for consumer camcorders. (like a tele-extender lens or a wide angle converter lens)

Sakar Debuts New Vivitar Cameras, Digital SLR Lenses & Flashes
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #18
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

> There used to be some real gems in the older Vivitar 1 series.

Indeed!

> I'm not an expert on these older lenses, but I thought it all boiled
> down to who made each different Vivitar 1 lens.

Yes and no. Vivitar developed the specs for each lens and then somebody else built it. So, any innovations with a given lens and the intended level of quality for each lens were heavily dependent on Vivitar's "attitude".

> What will be different with these new vivitar series 1 lenses, is that
> none of the old players in vivitar manufacturing are involved anymore.

Probably at least mostly true. However, it remains to be seen what will be Vivitar's (Sakar's) new "attitude". I think that a manual focus 85/1.4 is a good sign...

> Anyone familiar with Sakar. I only know them for making cheap 3rd party
> add-on lenses for consumer camcorders. (like a tele-extender lens or a
> wide angle converter lens)

As I remember, Sakar, back in the 80's, say, used to sell "regular" lenses that were sold to very budget-conscious camera store consumers. (It went from "Why buy a Pentax/Nikon/Canon/Minolta/Olympus when you can buy a Vivitar" to "Why buy a Vivitar when you can buy a Sakar".) I personally have no experience with Sakar lenses, though.
03-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I've started seeing them on Ebay, shipping from Miami. I suppose they're the same as the Samyang, Polar, etc. that are coming from Korea.

85mm f/1.4 and 800mm f/8 CAT lenses. I'd be very interested in knowing how this last one performs. It's a T-mount that comes with the appropriate adapter for your camera.

I've seen some of these Vivitars from Beach Camera too.

I wonder what other lenses they'll release...

Pretty ugly...

03-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I've started seeing them on Ebay, shipping from Miami. I suppose they're the same as the Samyang, Polar, etc. that are coming from Korea.

85mm f/1.4 and 800mm f/8 CAT lenses. I'd be very interested in knowing how this last one performs. It's a T-mount that comes with the appropriate adapter for your camera.

I've seen some of these Vivitars from Beach Camera too.

I wonder what other lenses they'll release...

That ebay seller is hillarious: "Constant f/1.4 aperture"
03-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

re: who makes them, looks like it might be Samyang in Korea. It's the same as the Polar/Samyang as far as anyone can tell, so it's likely a rebadge.

Still, I like the results Sila got here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/509073-post17.html

Once you get to the outdoor shots, it shows some nice qualities--especially for a $350 lens!
03-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
The ol' classic Tokina lenses did that, too - their focus directions coordinated with the mounts (one of the minor advantages of using the Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro over the VS1 90/2.5 Macro, for example).
Indeed! One of the reasons I love those old Tokinas and have owned a few too many (great IQ, by the way). BTW, Tokina also made the zoom rings turn in the same direction as Pentax's (or whoever's mount).
03-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
I picked up the 85mm f/1.4. It arrived on Tuesday. It seems like a pretty nice lens so far, although nailing manual focus at wide apertures can be somewhat of a challenge (especially in low light).

Some observations and first impressions:
- It definitely has an "A" setting, so all modes on the K10D work.
- It does not, however, transmit focal length data to the camera (which kind of surprised me) so you have to set shake reduction manually if you want to use it.
- I like the look of it better than the Samyang/Polar branded versions, with the Series 1 red ring, that I hope will actually begin to mean something again.
- It's fairly heavy for it's size (quite a bit of metal and a very serious looking front element), and it feels solid. I like the weight of it, but some might not (light compared to my Tamron Adaptall 2 80-200mm zoom).
- Focus ring turns almost half a turn (a lot of autofocus lenses turn about a quarter of a turn) and has a good feel.
- I wish it had a Tamron style lens cap that wouldn't interfere with the hood or vice versa.
- Hood seems good, although I can see more light through where it attaches than is usual; it seems to be at such an oblique angle that it couldn't cause any flare though.
- Edit: I wanted to add that this is definitely not a close focus lens. Minimum focus distance seems to be about a meter or perhaps a little less.

I'm reasonably impressed so far, but I haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 03-05-2009 at 08:36 AM.
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #24
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

BTW, Tokina also made the zoom rings turn in the same direction as Pentax's (or whoever's mount).
I was not aware of that, since all of the Tokina zooms I had (and, in some cases, still have) both zoom and focus with "one-touch" zoom rings (more common in telephoto zooms).

These include(d) the lovely little AT-X 60-120/2.8, the fast AT-X 80-200/2.8, the really nice AT-X 100-300/4 (sharp from end to end), and the not quite so nice AT-X 150-500/5.6 (soft above about 300mm or so). Also in this category (and here's the VS1 relevance for this thread - <g>) is the RMC 70-210/3.5, which seems to be optically identical to the V.2 VS1 70-210/3.5 (Tokina made, and so it's likely not just coincidental, I'd guess).
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
This is not actually to quibble with the ~content~ of this thread
I'm not adding to this thread, though I did have a Vivitar Series one macro lens that was among the best I've seen.

I just wanted to say Hi to Fred.
It's been a long time.
03-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just wanted to say Hi to Fred.
It's been a long time.
Hi, Willie. :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I did have a Vivitar Series one macro lens that was among the best I've seen.
Do you remember which one, Bill? (Just curious...)
03-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re: Sakar - I bought a Sakar 28mm lens when just starting out. It broke within a few weeks. Never again for me!
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
- It does not, however, transmit focal length data to the camera (which kind of surprised me) so you have to set shake reduction manually if you want to use it.
That's normal. A-series lenses don't transmit FL, only F-series and beyond.