Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Christian, I have been thinking the same thing, what about the Sigma 18-50 2.8? I havent seen much said about it except that I cant find one to buy anywhere. If anyone has one that would be nice to hear about.
I have considered that lens for my old Canon (that is before getting into Pentax), and from very reliable source with much experience in the lens world (again, Canon related) this was his response:

"From what I have seen of that lens it looks rather disappointing. Edge softness is a problem at wide angles / wide apertures and it suffers from both CA and purple fringing. I'd actually prefer Sigma's 17-70mm zoom over this one."

Hope this answer the question to some degree...

Regards,
D

04-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I have considered that lens for my old Canon (that is before getting into Pentax), and from very reliable source with much experience in the lens world (again, Canon related) this was his response:

"From what I have seen of that lens it looks rather disappointing. Edge softness is a problem at wide angles / wide apertures and it suffers from both CA and purple fringing. I'd actually prefer Sigma's 17-70mm zoom over this one."

Hope this answer the question to some degree...

Regards,
D

If you don't need the macro version, the original 18-50 is still available at Cameta Camera for $300. It was the sharpest lens ever tested up till then by Photodo.
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC

It turns up on many gear lists.
04-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Thanks for the info.

So they made the new 18-50 worse than the old one!? Oh dear. These digital only lenses are nic and compact but they seem to suffer from not having that sweet spot of the larger lenses. But surely if they DG ones were sized to 35mm they would have sufffered softness on the edges on film? MAybe we weren't so fussed about it back in film days... I'm sondering wether I'd notice any real use softness around the edges... most shots I take have a relatively shallow depth of field. .. I don't take too many landscapes at high f numbers.

Hmmmm anyway I don't need macro really so maybe I'll look out for the old one here in the UK. Might be cheaper!
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #19

This portrait was made in Venetian crowd with Sigma 18-200 and Pentax K100D:

04-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #20

Original Poster
Beautifull picture , i doubt you`ll get such quality results most of the time ,or do you ?

I mean this is not a fast lens and from it`s specifications it`s not that impressive.

Must be the photographer right ?
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Inactive Account

great photo... very scary hat.
04-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fantocci Quote
This portrait was made in Venetian crowd with Sigma 18-200 and Pentax K100D:

great shot!

back to the origanal post,
I think that you might want to think about the priorities of what you want in a lens....
sounds like you want a very sharp lens, but sometimes portraits need a lens a little more forgiving.
You would like to have the eyes razor sharp, but the skin is a different story.
The other school of thought is to get a razor sharp lens and with portrait shots, put a slight blur to the skin for woman. Myself, I would like to have a razor sharp lens and do a bit of PP to smooth the skin.... much better then putting sharpening with photoshop. just my thought, though
If I were you, I would get a traveling lens that you like and get a second prime for portraits.
04-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #23

I agree with slipshuck.

I also have FA50/1.4 for critical work (sharpness, DOF, low light). But fixed 50mm would be very unpractical in Venice during carnival crowd, so I took sigma 18-200 and I was satisfied in 90% of cases. There was enough of light also. That’s important, though I must say that even 1600ISO from K100D is surprisingly good.
But if I have time and place, the FA50 at 2.0 or 2.8 is a great choice.
Nevertheless, I must say that even at crop sensor 50mm is a little too short for me for portraits, so I rather step back a little and not fill the complete frame. But it does have a beautiful bokeh, which Sigmas don’t - they have rather bad one. Primes excel in this.
I also have manual Helios f2/58mm (x1.5=87mm) and I think this lenght is more appropriate for portrait work.
I think I would vote for Sigma 17-70 in your case, although its bokeh is not much better then of 18-200, also it is only one step better (faster)..

I read somewhere that aspherical glass in zoom lenses makes blots in bokeh. My good old Pentacon 200/4 has very simple design (only 5 lenses inside - it is fixed 200mm) and the bokeh is fantastic, very smooth and "creamy"...

Last edited by Fantocci; 04-14-2007 at 02:11 AM.
04-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Me, I loved my Tokina AT-X 28-80 2.8 for portraits. It was definitely not a sharp lens when shooting longer and wide open, though. Just loved the overall look of it when shooting portraits.