Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Manual Glass on a K20D

I stopped into the only camera shop in town to pick up a rocket blower. Started talking to a sales guy while looking through their discount lenses. I told him one of the reasons I bought the K20 was the lens possibility with my K100 manual lenses. To clarify I havenít used any of them since I have to go home to Texas to pick them up. He warned me against using manual Non-Pentax glass with my K20. He said there was an issue with them getting stuck on the body. This doesnít make since to me. Am I wrong in my thinking that a K mount is a K mount regardless of manufacture?

03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apparently some of the old Ricoh-type mounts can get stuck on the lens mount and be difficult to take off. Otherwise, I have not heard of any problems with older glass.
03-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #3

As far as I know, it only happens with certain Ricoh lenses that have an extra pin that gets stuck (I think it was their version of an auto-aperature pin?). Just do a search here for "Ricoh Pin" and that should come up with a few threads on the issue.

I've got a good number non-pentax screw mount lenses and off brand K-mounts that have no issue at all and work perfectly.
03-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looky here

Not a common problem, but it can be a real pain if it happens to you. Don't let thie dissuade you from using manual lenses, but just be aware of Ricoh lenses for K-mount.

03-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
S/he may just have been an [overly?] cautious salesperson.

If s/he said "no problem!" next thing you know the customer would be back with a old non-AI nikon hopelessly jammed onto the camera.

It is much safer/easier to say NO than"well, it depends..." especially if you don't know for sure.

Iowa Dave

PS I recall talking to some cell-phone data support people about a problem. They kept saying "You can't do that". Meanwhile I was doing what they said I couldn't. This went on & on over many calls.

Finally I noticed one of them said "we don't support that." More calls, until finally I realized what was going on "we don't support that" means "you are on your own". I asked & what do you know, that's what they meant all along.

Last edited by newarts; 03-05-2009 at 03:05 PM.
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure they'd much rather have you buy a pricey new lens.
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

PKA/R is what you want to avoid. Also, some Mamiya screw mount lenses can bugger things up nicely.
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
PKA/R is what you want to avoid. Also, some Mamiya screw mount lenses can bugger things up nicely.
How does a screw mount lens mess things up? Are the Mamiya's longer or something?

03-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

hey, boyscout,

i love my old glass! i've got takumar lenses which use the (real) pentax m42 adapter, and the images are stunning! and i've got smc-K lenses and smc-M lenses, all primes, all CHEAP, and have had such fun with them on my k10d. there's a bazillion used lenses out there, at garage sales, at flea markets, at pawn shops and eeekbay, so don't hold back (just watch for those Ricoh's)!

many of those great lenses are available online (KEH has a great used selection), and who knows what you can find if you look.

my current favorite is the smc-M 200mm f4 for wildlife photography that i picked up here on the forum in mint condition, and a nice smc 135 f3.5 from ebay for $25. It's really a marvelous way to get introduced to Prime lenses on the cheap, and some of those old glass lenses were really well made, especially the pentax glass.

and because many are inexpensive, it's a nice way to see what manual focus gives you over the more expensive AF lenses that don't always focus on what YOU want. After discovering manual focus with the older glass, i'me very reluctant to go back to AF in the newer lenses. it's a discovery process, and fun, and as Pentax users, we have a lot of good old glass to still choose from.

check the lens database here to see what others think.... oh, and the marketplace forum here is an amazing place to pick up old lenses that have really been well taken care of... and then there's the occasional cheap or 'gift' lens here that can give you a new perspective entirely.
03-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Takumars are superb glass, and beautifully made barrels and helicoids. Though be warned..some of them are faintly radioactive! the faster ones are usually the culprit I.E Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Super Takumar 35mm f/2 - those two are the worst. I think they used radioactive Thorium salts to raise the refractive index of the glass to make such fast lenses, And what it does is it causes the lenses coatings to go yellow, and in some cases cloud over completely. You can spot lenses that have suffered from this just by looking through them. As an experiment I took a lens to the ultraviolet imaging centre in Adelaide Uni and they bleached the lenses with UV light... a concentrated blast of ultraviolet light for about 4 seconds, and now that lens is crystal clear...I haven't had time to test that lens yet, I hope that didn't do anything to the coatings, the lens was quite warm after that treatment!

An interesting note, I have never seen a radioactive lens with fungus in it. also for the men on this site, don't keep a radioactive lens in your pocket for too long.

Sample image: Pentax 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar (made C1964)

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-07-2009 at 06:05 PM.
03-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Everyone thanks for the quick responses. It’s been at lest 16yr since I’ve had my hands on these lenses. I’m really looking forward to getting my smc-m 50mm. It along with 50mm of extension tubes was one of my favorite lenses.

I’ll do some searching on your recommendations.

QuoteOriginally posted by kauaiguy Quote
there's a bazillion used lenses out there, at garage sales, at flea markets, at pawn shops and eeekbay, so don't hold back (just watch for those Ricoh's)!
I have an uncle that is an estate auction junky. I’ve already put him on a mission to look for old glass. At these auctions thing with little mass appeal sale so cheap it’s sick. I figure that if I end up with a few duplicates I can flip them to feed the habit.