Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
emr

Any opinions on Tamron SP Adaptall 300mm f/2.8 (107B)?

Does anyone have any experience with the first(?) version of this Tamron Adaptall lens? All the info I found here seems to be about the newer versions (60B etc.). The lens in question is this Tamron SP Adaptall-2 300mm F/2.8 LD Model 107B. It's fast but big and heavy as anything. I could get one with a Tamron 2x teleconverter (and a Nikon Adaptall adapter but I already have a suitable PKA adapter) for about 400 euros. Not the cheapest considering the age but it should be fine optically and mechanically but with some outer cosmetic wear.

03-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea about that lens but if the performance of my 300mmf5.6 SP is anything to go by, it should be a pearler
Pete
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I have read, the older modell has some much more pronounced CA and isn't quite as sharp as the 60B. I have the latter and find CAs very tolerable and in most standard situations completely negligible, so the 106 might not be that bad. The sharpness of the 60B is very, very good indeed.

I got my 60B for app. the same price you are quoted for the older modell. So, perhaps, it could be a better deal to search on ebay for a while. Occassionally 60Bs with cuts and bruises on the the outside can be found for a similar price. As long as everything works fine (a bit dust on the internal lenses or a small scratch on the large front element don't do any harm) you can make a good deal, if youdon't need the lens immediately.

Ben
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, the 107B is more of a collectors item due to it be more rare than the 2 newer versions. It can get good results. However, an additional draw back to the ones already mentioned is that it lacks internal focus. This can make it potentially unstable on a tripod. Also, the 01F 2x converter isn't the best one of the 3 adaptall-2 SP converters. The 200F 2x converter would be better. Unfortunately, it is rare and pricey.

03-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

I have the newer 60B, which as everyone agrees, is an excellent lens as well as being very cost-effective.

The older 107B is supposed to perform as well, but the one disadvantage already noted is the lack of the internal focus.

Check here for more info: Tamron SP Adaptall-2 300mm F/2.8 LD Model 107B

There aren't many around and it's supposed to be collectible.

Mike
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
emr

Thanks, everybody. I think I'll take a time-out and wait and see if this goes down in price or I could find a newer one. It's just that this price would include shipping as on many occasions the shipping would cost an arm and a leg - if the seller's willing to ship abroad to begin with.

What's this internal focusing supposed to do actually?
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mike and Blue, thanks for the IF info. That would be a stopper for me with such a hefty lens. A 300/2.8 needs IF to be conveniently useable.

Ben

03-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote

What's this internal focusing supposed to do actually?
Hi emr,

Internal Focusing means that the lens doesn't change overall length when focusing -- elements are moved inside of the lens barrel as opposed to extending or retracting the overall length to focus. IF lenses will not rotate the front element (important to polarizing filter use), and will not cause balance problems when tripod mounted. There is sometimes a size and weight penalty for IF designs.

Scott