Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
where to buy a 50-135mm online?

howdy,

i might be ready to take the plunge for the DA * 50-135mm... are there any online retail stores you'd recommend? I'm also open to buy a nicely used one, if any of you are thinking of selling one. and yes, i'll post to the "wanted" section, too.

I know of KEH and Adorama, and to avoid Broadway, but what's the best for service, price, delivery... missed one on ebay for $600 yesterday....

I live on an island with no local camera stores, so it's only online and shipped...

many thanks, mahalo.

03-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Without checking prices, I have had great experiences with both Buydig.com and Abe's of Maine. i bought my 50-135 from Abe's for $725 last Fall.

I just took a quick look at the prices and Willoughby's seens the have the best price, plus they offer free shipping and no sales tax. You can always make an offer to Prodigital2000 on ebay. You probably get it for $650 shipped.

PENTAX DA* 50-135mm f2.8 LENS f/ K20D K200D w/UV FILTER - eBay (item 310126652515 end time Mar-10-09 17:06:38 PDT)
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #3

Have you tried Amazon.com?

It was $699 last time I saw. Not bad...

Felipe
03-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
maxwell1295,
do you know if the warranty would be CA or US if bought from the US from prodigital? or does it really matter? i've heard good things about them in the forums, and the ebay listing has $650 as the BIN price, so maybe they'd go lower? hmmm. thanks!

Felipe,
yah, checked there as always, if just to get the going rate. seems willoughby's is also an amazon "new and used" seller. thanks!

03-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #5

Look at prodigital2000 lens will get a two year worenty.
03-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kauaiguy Quote
maxwell1295,
do you know if the warranty would be CA or US if bought from the US from prodigital? or does it really matter? i've heard good things about them in the forums, and the ebay listing has $650 as the BIN price, so maybe they'd go lower? hmmm. thanks!

Felipe,
yah, checked there as always, if just to get the going rate. seems willoughby's is also an amazon "new and used" seller. thanks!
Prodigital has two different auctions for the 50-135, one in US funds which includes an extra 7 year MACK warranty, and one in Canadian funds which would work out to be slightly cheaper and includes a one-year international warranty (and I think a two-year Canadian one, which wouldn't apply to you).

Also, make sure you email them for a shipping quote first. Their US shipping is for CONUS only.

I've bought a few items from them and have no complaints (can't blame the taxes on them, can I?). Shipping has been fast for me, but then again I could drive over there in an hour and a half!

Good luck, this lens is now on my radar too after picking up the 16-50!

Oh, and take 10% off the price and they'll usually accept it, but ask about shipping cost first!

Last edited by farfisa; 03-05-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: oh, and take 10% off the price and they'll usually accept it, but ask about shipping cost first!
03-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #7

I only deal with Adorama.com or B&H PhotoVideo out of NYC. I have never had any issues and their service/support is outstanding. I got my 50-135 there.
03-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
yah, i did email prodigital about shipping cost, and it's at least US$50 to here, since they only use UPS. oh well, i'll keep checking out the other suggestions posted here....

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the info!

03-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
in case anyone is thinking of trying Willoughby's, i had a very bad experience there - don't know if it was just this one person, but they kept insisting i lived in Alaska, said they didn't have free shipping there (or for that matter, where i lived in hawaii), even though it says that they do have free shipping in their ads. lots of fairly sad emails, which looked like they didn't even read them before answering. i know it might just be one new person, but the experience left me not wanting to deal with them ever again. i bought my lens elsewhere.
03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Prodigital has been good for me. As stated by farfisa, the 2 year Canadian warranty applies if you're in Canada. Otherwise, it's the one year international. I purchased two items from them. Considering the distance, shipping was quick for my first purchase. It shipped the very next day. The second item was delayed on their end and took at least 2 days for them to ship it out. Still, it wasn't bad and I'd buy from them again if the price was good.

in case anyone is thinking of trying Willoughby's, i had a very bad experience there - don't know if it was just this one person, but they kept insisting i lived in Alaska, said they didn't have free shipping there (or for that matter, where i lived in hawaii), even though it says that they do have free shipping in their ads. lots of fairly sad emails, which looked like they didn't even read them before answering. i know it might just be one new person, but the experience left me not wanting to deal with them ever again. i bought my lens elsewhere.
I've never purchased from them but the Willoughbys Shipping policy shows free shipping only for the Continental US. Alaska and Hawaii show no free shipping.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it and how was that experience?
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, i looked at that page then and again now, and though they show no info for HI or AK, there's not a mention of free shipping on their shipping page, though it does give the times you need to order to make it by christmas (!). i know most stores have deals with certain carriers at certain prices and don't want to work outside that comfort zone. but enough of that. i hope other people have better times there, glad to know you did.

i tried prodigital, they were VERY nice, even returned an email over the weekend when the store was closed. they told me that shipping would be about $50 to HI, so "Best Offer" eekbay prices would have to reflect that. My only reason for not going with them was the unknown since i'd not ordered from them before, and because they weren't in the US. after working out all the price options, it was still close to the amazon price, and , well, i already had other stuff in my shopping cart there, so ...

anyway, hopefully the lens will be here in a week, i can sell off more of my lens collection, and (hahah) LBA will be over.

Thanks for all the kind replies.
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

yes, i looked at that page then and again now, and though they show no info for HI or AK, there's not a mention of free shipping on their shipping page, though it does give the times you need to order to make it by christmas (!). i know most stores have deals with certain carriers at certain prices and don't want to work outside that comfort zone. but enough of that. i hope other people have better times there, glad to know you did.
If you scroll down the Willoughby shipping policy page you'll find the rate info. The cheapest Continental US rate is $0, while the cheapest to AK or HI is $29.99.

Code:

Continental US Street Standard (3 - 5 business days)
Per Shipment Bands Shipment Rate
$0.00 to Up $0.00

Alaska and Hawaii Street Standard (3 - 7 business days)
Per Shipment Bands Shipment Rate
$0.00 to $500.00 $29.99
Now be sure to take some beautiful HI pictures and post them.

<-- jealous on two counts
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Amazon - no problems.
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prodigital2000 on ebay lists them for $969 !!!
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Amazon was great for me - check the forum postings too (try to check individual feedback)