Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

DA 55-300mm

After reading the reviews about this lens, it is said to be noisy and slow. I only have DA 16-45mm. Compared to 16-45mm, is 55-300mm slower and more noisy? Thanks

03-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

Yes, it is slower. And it has a variable aperture, as opposed to your 16-45, and that might be an inconvenience. Personally, I like it when i think "this glass goes until f/4, or that one until f/2.8", instead of remembering its max aperture for a determined focal length. The extreme case is when you have your perfect metering for the widest aperture at the widest focal, but then you want to shot at a longer focal and the max aperture varies and everything screws up.

Another thing to consider is that at 300mm, the max f6.3 might be useless (you would need a very high shutter speed and/or high iso, or a sunny day.)
03-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chenliubo Quote
After reading the reviews about this lens, it is said to be noisy and slow.
QuoteOriginally posted by ariahspam Quote
Yes, it is slower. And it has a variable aperture, as opposed to your 16-45, and that might be an inconvenience.
Just to clarify an obvious point of confusion - it looks like ariahspam is interpreting "slow" to mean "small aperture" and not "takes a long time to autofocus".
03-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Its not so bad

Attachment 29596
Hi,ive had the DA 55-300mm for a while now.I think you will be surprised how quik it does focus.On bright sunny days its pretty quik but does slow down as the light drops.It can be slow on low contrast days but in good light its pretty good.I took this pic using the K20D in the early morning it focused in a second.I had it printed at 11x14 and the other customers in the print shop said how nice it was.Sometimes for a change i play around using the K20D as a Point and shoot
it was in Auto mode ISO 800, Let the camera do the work for me,the reults are surprising.Its a top lens in good light just have to work a bit harder in low light but the results are there.Il be taking it to a Rodeo nxt weekend hoping for some good shots.Ive used it for sports to with no prob so give it some serious thought.
Thnx Paul

Last edited by trumpyman; 03-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.
03-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow AF? - not really. Noisy, perhaps, but considering the much longer focus throw of this lens (like all telephoto lenses), it has a lot more distance to travel to get focus. The FA 100 macro has an almost 360 degree focus throw but I wouldn't call it a slouch in focusing...

Slow lens? - also not really - for a consumer telephoto zoom. What other AF telephoto zooms offer anything faster than f/5.6 at 300mm? If someone finds one, it'll be substanitally pricier than the DA 55-300. Any faster, and you'll be looking at primes.

Max aperture for this lens at 300mm is actually f/5.8, not 6.3, and yes, it can be used at that aperture and produce sharp images.
03-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think if you read a little further (other reviews) you'll find the image quality trumps everything else. Who cares about auto-focusing sound unless you are shooting at a funeral...in which you can manually focus anyway since the subject is most likely still.

Jason
03-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I think if you read a little further (other reviews) you'll find the image quality trumps everything else. Who cares about auto-focusing sound unless you are shooting at a funeral...in which you can manually focus anyway since the subject is most likely still.

Jason
Why would you care about noise at a funeral? By this point, you're not going to wake them up.

03-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks you all. I decide to buy one but wait for a good price,lol
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Why would you care about noise at a funeral? By this point, you're not going to wake them up.
For the same reason that you don't wear a clown suit. To show respect to the surviving family and loved ones.
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
For the same reason that you don't wear a clown suit. To show respect to the surviving family and loved ones.
I was kidding.

BTW, in New Orleans, AF motor noise is not a problem:

YouTube - New Orleans Jazz Funeral for tuba player Kerwin James
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like mine a lot, but it does have a tendency (like many Pentax lenses I've owned) to double-travel the entire focus range before locking on with the AF.
03-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i found it was a tad slow to acquire focus, what you should do is use the quick-shift to get focus and then use AF, then it's pretty fast. if you're shooting the same stuff at similar distances, then AF speed shouldn't be a big problem