Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
how good are the weather seals on the DA * 50-135 lens?

just curious, how good ARE the weather seals on the DA * lens?

can you take your k10d and this lens out in the pouring rain or shoot on a boat in high seas? i checked at the pentax site and didn't find anything specific, though i might have missed something.

any real world examples?

many thanks! mahalo,

d

ps, i did search the forums, but weather sealing is mentioned a lot, but mostly in regards to "thank god for weather sealing!" without specifics. thanks!

Last edited by kauaiguy; 03-06-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: didn't know only DA* had weather seals
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kauaiguy Quote
can you take your k10d and this lens out in the pouring rain or shoot on a boat in high seas?
Rain is absolutely no problem.
I was in rain several times already with this lens.
I even rinsed it once under the water tap because it was full of sand.

Not sure about the sea though, because salt is destructive for the coating.
A filter is a must in this case I would say.
03-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* Only

QuoteOriginally posted by kauaiguy Quote
just curious, how good ARE the weather seals on the * lenses, especially the 50-135?
Just to make clear (because the subject line does not), for future readers of this thread, you're discussing the weather-resistance of the line of DA* lenses, and not all * lenses (i.e., M*, A*, F*, etc.). The older "star" lenses are not any more weather sealed than their more mundane siblings.

[Back in January I was caught on my bicycle in a Florida cloudburst carrying my K20D and an F* 300/4.5 dangling from my neck - I sacrificed the wearing of the sweatshirt I had with me to wrap it around the camera and lens until I could get under cover (the closest car port roof) - I certainly did not want the F* 300 to get wet.]
03-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

bout a year and a half ago i saw pictures of some dude with mud on his camera in some safari trip, he then washed down his camera in a stream, still works.

03-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Not sure about the sea though, because salt is destructive for the coating.
A filter is a must in this case I would say.
Yes, that would be my concern. The salt will remain a problem after the water is gone. The weather sealing will help a lot because you can rinse salt water off. Filters are a good idea because the dried salt is abrasive. I would still consider some protection for the lens body from salt water even with seals, just to minimize salt water exposure.
03-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Fred, thanks, after all this time reading the forums, i didn't know only the DA* has weather sealing. i've changed the title to reflect this.
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Yes, that would be my concern. The salt will remain a problem after the water is gone. The weather sealing will help a lot because you can rinse salt water off. Filters are a good idea because the dried salt is abrasive. I would still consider some protection for the lens body from salt water even with seals, just to minimize salt water exposure.
so wash your lens :ugh: