Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

finally, K200D with DA 40 and 70 Limited

Hello everyone,

I have finally made my choice and ordered the K200D with both the Limited DA 40 f/2.8 and DA 70 f/2.4
I should receive it today and will make a report later tonight or tomorrow.
Anyway just for the record I have chosen the K200D over both the K20D and the K2000 for the following reasons:
1- price/quality relation: The K200D costs 250 Euros less than the K20D and the same price that the K2000.
2- IQ is on par with the K20D and the other major diferences didnīt justified the cost diference for me (I already owned both in the past). The only feature that made me doubt a little was the focus adjustment option... but in the end I realised it was the only reason to go for the K20D and once again 250 Euros for this feature alone is kind of pricey
3- The K2000 lack of certain important features to me like the DOF preview, top lcd, focusing points selection (besides the central one) were reason enough to ditch this option in favour of the K200D.
4- Despite being bigger than the K2000 it is still a good compact size (compared to the K20D) and coupled with both DA Limiteds it will be my working street horse.
5- Finally, I already have several eneloop batteries sets, so no problems in this matter... I just love eneloops and use them wherever and whenever I can

Now, regarding the DA Limiteds I chose them because of price/quality/size relation.
I love primes and this was the major reason I chose Pentax as my backup system since I mainly shoot a Fuji S5Pro coupled with a Sigma 30 f/1.4; a Nikon afs 60 f/2.8 Micro and a manual 105 f/2.5 AIS.
The Fuji set is quite big and I love it for indoors and portraits. But for street photo I was not very happy with it... too big, the colors outdoors arenīt as good as indoors. So instead of getting a Nikon D60 or something similar I opted for Pentax since I hate Nikon colors for midtones.
Now I can have the best of 2 worlds. The Fuji colors, DR and amazing Auto WB and the Pentax outdoors natural colors with good midtones for candids and the amazing Limited pancake quality... unique in the world and hardly matched by any other brand.
I was torned between the FA and the DA but in the end the diference in cost between them couldnīt justify the very small diference in terms of IQ since the built quality is already very good with the DA. Plus they are much more compact than the FA which are no pancake even if not that big at all after being used to Nikon and Sigma glass.
Sorry for the long post... I will report my initial impressions shortly... especially of the Limiteds since I already know the camera

Thank you all for reading.

03-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

the screw in lens cap for the DA40 is going to drive you insane....
03-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is why I also ordered both a 49mm snap-on lens cap and a UV filter. Among them I donīt plan to use the original lenscap... I already knew about it by my previous lens research
Thank you
03-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Its worth it.

- Andrew

03-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Enjoy your new toys.

c[_]
03-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I was tempted to get the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 because it can be used on film cameras...but the bokeh on that thing is like Campbells chunky soup...you can eat it with a fork.
03-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Doesnt the DA 40 work on film as well? Or maybe you just want the f/2 aperture.
03-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

the DA 40mm doesn't have an aperture ring...it can be used on cameras like the MZ-50, but not on older cameras otherwise are going to be stuck at f/2.8 all the time.

03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If that were the case, that would actually be fine. You could make do with shooting wide open.

Problem is without mechanical aperture control (via the ring), the apertures of DA*, DA and FAJ lenses will automatically close (spring loaded) to their smallest aperture (f16,f22,f32) if the lens is unmounted or if the aperture lever released, which is the case for every shot.
03-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Use an old film canister cap on the DA40:

No more fumbling or anything, just pop it off/on!
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

^^^^ Gotta try that with my DA 40. Thanks.
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have received the goodies.... I couldnīt be more disapointed
The first time I had the K20D, it had sever frontfocusing issues, than I had a perfect K200D that I stupidly got rid of and now again a K200D with 20mm frontfocusing issues. Either that or both new lens have 20mm frontfocusing issues, which I doubt since I believe the quality control is more carefully done with the Limiteds. Nevertheless with the 40 f/2.8 the problem is imediatly noticed, the DA 70 needs more atention to detect it, still easily. This in real life shooting. With charts they both indicate between 14 to 20mm frontfocusing. I canīt get a single keeper
Please, not again! I must be very unlucky and my previous excitment turned to be a disaster. This especially because for those who know Pixmania-Pro (France) knows what Iīm talking about. Their return policy is inexistent if you do not aply to an extra fee that they call a "safe buy" and charge you 5% more just so that if you have any problem - it must be confirmed anyway - they will give you a voucher so that you can buy the equivalent of the money you spent in the defective equipment. Well, I gambled and didnīt opted for that since I think it is a rip off! They had good prices and I also gambled by purchasing towards them... I lost!
Now to activate the waraanty I must send it to them (in France) at my own expenses, wait that they will send it to Pentax, wait for the inspection of the camera and in case it is confirmed, wait for it to be serviced and then pray that they nail it the first time... if not everything will startover again.... at my expenses!
I will also send the lens together since Iīm not sure if they are well calibrated as well because I donīt have another body to try them out.
This is very painfull and now I will surely have to wait weeks if not months to get my equipment again, hopefully in good working conditions.
Never again! From now on... only shops with return policies... the problem is that all my photography budget is now gone for a very long time
Thank you for reading... I guess my report will be postponed indefenitly.
03-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

wow, that sucks...

maybe go to a camera store and try the camera out with different lenses? I'm sure some stores have some Pentax lenses in stock?
03-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
20mm sounds like a looooooot...
good luck sorting it out
BR
03-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
Hello everyone,

I have finally made my choice and ordered the K200D with both the Limited DA 40 f/2.8 and DA 70 f/2.4
I should receive it today and will make a report later tonight or tomorrow.
Anyway just for the record I have chosen the K200D over both the K20D and the K2000 for the following reasons:
1- price/quality relation: The K200D costs 250 Euros less than the K20D and the same price that the K2000.
2- IQ is on par with the K20D and the other major diferences didnīt justified the cost diference for me (I already owned both in the past). The only feature that made me doubt a little was the focus adjustment option... but in the end I realised it was the only reason to go for the K20D and once again 250 Euros for this feature alone is kind of pricey
3- The K2000 lack of certain important features to me like the DOF preview, top lcd, focusing points selection (besides the central one) were reason enough to ditch this option in favour of the K200D.
4- Despite being bigger than the K2000 it is still a good compact size (compared to the K20D) and coupled with both DA Limiteds it will be my working street horse.
5- Finally, I already have several eneloop batteries sets, so no problems in this matter... I just love eneloops and use them wherever and whenever I can

Now, regarding the DA Limiteds I chose them because of price/quality/size relation.
I love primes and this was the major reason I chose Pentax as my backup system since I mainly shoot a Fuji S5Pro coupled with a Sigma 30 f/1.4; a Nikon afs 60 f/2.8 Micro and a manual 105 f/2.5 AIS.
The Fuji set is quite big and I love it for indoors and portraits. But for street photo I was not very happy with it... too big, the colors outdoors arenīt as good as indoors. So instead of getting a Nikon D60 or something similar I opted for Pentax since I hate Nikon colors for midtones.
Now I can have the best of 2 worlds. The Fuji colors, DR and amazing Auto WB and the Pentax outdoors natural colors with good midtones for candids and the amazing Limited pancake quality... unique in the world and hardly matched by any other brand.
I was torned between the FA and the DA but in the end the diference in cost between them couldnīt justify the very small diference in terms of IQ since the built quality is already very good with the DA. Plus they are much more compact than the FA which are no pancake even if not that big at all after being used to Nikon and Sigma glass.
Sorry for the long post... I will report my initial impressions shortly... especially of the Limiteds since I already know the camera

Thank you all for reading.
very nice notes i accept that fuji has the besr color indoor and pentax has the best outdoor with its limitted lenses
waiting for your report with the k200 which i bought it for the same reasons which you have mentioned