Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 Loose Filter Ring?

I put my 17-50 on the K20D yesterday and when I unlocked the hood from it's storage position I noticed the hood/filter ring is loose (it jiggles a little).

I haven't dropped, banged or otherwise abused my precious so I'm curious if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I haven't seen any way to tighten it back up - no visible screws or anything else.

It doesn't affect the optics; the ring is not linked to the front element and the jiggle is very slight so the hood isn't dangling. It's just slightly annoying.

If you have had this happen were you able to self-repair it? Did you send it in for repairs to Tamron (did they warranty it)? Or, are you just living with it?

Thanks!

03-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So far, my awesome little 17-50 has been flawless and I hope it continues. Butting up against the filter ring is a circular, perhaps 1/4 inch wide piece of plastic which has a slot in it. Now, do not try to do this unless you are extremely careful. But it may be if you put a small piece of plastic or something strong enough to turn the ring clockwise, you can secure the filter ring.

PLEASE NOTE! This is only a guess on my part--Do Not try it unless you are very careful because if you slip off the notch you could scratch the lens. It is just an idea--but if you are careful, it may be that this is all it would take to snug things up. Do not force anything, proceed with caution and without alcohol in the blood steam!

Also, the Tamron 6-year guarantee is for these very things. Why don't you give them a call if you have any doubts at all in undertaking the job yourself? I am sure they will easily repair it for you.

Best of luck and please report back here what you learn.
03-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, I saw the slot, but it's way too close to glass for my comfort level with the "tools" I have at hand. It feels more like it clips into place rather than screwed down though.

There is a "lens shop" here in town I will call on Monday and see if it's something they want to tackle. Otherwise, Tamron USA gets the call I guess. I wonder what turnaround with them is like...
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just had this happen to my 17-50. Very odd...

06-18-2010, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
rkt

Seems to be a common phenomenon with the 17-50 ... check some of these links out ...
Flickr: Discussing just got lens used, sigh didnt notice but front filter ring loose, retightned screws in Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Model A16
Tamron 17-50 - slightly loose front end? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Anyone know a quick fix for wobbly filter attachment ring on Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Loose front on Tamron 17-50 - Dyxum forums

And here is a DIY fix for the problem ...

I guess if you are careful then the fix should be quick and simple... unless you snap the 'ring' while pulling it off, or putting it back on ...