Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tokina AF 70-210 f4.5 (constant)

Hello

I saw a Tokina AF 70-210 f4.5, internal focusing lens the other day, and will be trying it out tomorrow. It appears pretty light, but like most Tokina's I've seen, well built.

Is there anyone out there who has ever used this lens? Nothing in the database, and I only found one 4-5 year old reference in a Google search.

Just trying to find a nice, medium speed lens for that zoom range.

Any examples or info is appreciated.

(for that matter if there is any advice on how to examine a used lens I'll take that as well!)

03-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, when examining a lens, check how fast the aperture blades snap closed. make sure they are not slow to close. Also check for any fungus on the lens elements, or scratches. See if it has any zoom creep ( most older zooms will have a little, so no big deal )
03-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank You. i would not have thought to watch the blades close as I depress the shutter from the outside off the top of my head, I'd just watch the viewfinder!
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you don't need to have it on the camera. Set the lens to she smallest aperture ( largest number, F16, F22 ) and then on the back side of the lens, there is a lever that the camera uses to stop the lens down, move that back and forth and watch the blades..

03-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AF 70-210mm f4.5

Hi there! I got that lens which I won in EBay about a little less than a year ago. Was very surprised and pleased by the sharpness (even wide open), IQ, focus speed and build (lens does not extend when zooming). It does suffer from PF, but so do the more expensive and newer lenses. It may not beat a 70-200mm f2.8, but I guess it's the next best thing for $47

From what I know, it was made almost 20 years ago and didn't become very popular. But who cares!! I'm very happy with its output, and it is now my "go to" lens for sunset shots, although it has turned out well for portraits too.

Here are some of my shots using this "gem" of a lens. Enjoy!!

With the K100D (some even made the PPG)::::

And with the K200D:::

03-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #6

anyone know if the tokina lens in question is the same internally as a Magnicon 70-210?
(sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I don't want to start a new thread for something small...)
03-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
Those shots are awesome! Thanks for the information and examples. It gives me some faith in purchasing the lens, knowing it can do some good work in skilled hands.

Now I just need to add the skilled hands!
03-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
I know what you mean...

QuoteOriginally posted by total.boredom Quote
anyone know if the tokina lens in question is the same internally as a Magnicon 70-210?
(sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I don't want to start a new thread for something small...)
I saw that very same lens in the database and they looked similar. If get the lens I'll take some shots so you can judge for yourself.

We've all seen examples of the lens makers using the same the design with minor tweaks (Pentax/Tamron/Sony 18-250 superzoom?). So this is a legitimate question.