Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Hinman: Both lens does decent on flowers for me. My Tamron is an non-di version but I honestly can't tell if the later and more costly Di version can do any better for my casual shooting as an hobbyist. In the two shootings, I do find the AF in Tamron a bit better with less hunting. The manual focus are similar but I recall a longer extension from the Tamron. For normal shootings, both focus limiter does the job well. PF/CA seems better controlled in the Sigma. Both AF are too-loud to me for close up.

I am hoping that I don't rush into a decision until I figure out which one I like better in terms of color, IQ and ease of handling in making a shot on close up.
I have only shot with the DI version--I no nothing about what the diferences are between the 2 lenses.

Let us know when you make your choice between the Sigma & Tamron.

03-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am hoping that I don't rush into a decision until I figure out which one I like better in terms of color, IQ and ease of handling in making a shot on close up.
I have another photo session with my wife who is helping me to see if the Sigma can serve well in portraits as good as the Tamron. Perhaps the location is differenent with more space, the extra 15mm actually comes in handy. It is really a toss between the two macro lens, I am flip flopping between the two on which one can serve me better. At this moment, flipping a coin is not a bad idea. I need to train my eyes to see the subtle differences on sharpness and contrast. And it can boil down to plain intuition on ease of handling in operation. Testing lens is fun but deciding on similar good lens is not fun at all. At the end of the photos session, I told my wife that I love both lens and I gestured to her that I have serious problems in letting one to go, keeping two is just as difficult with the continuous self blaming to no ends.

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Ex DG on Portraits

Sigma test shots

I used mostly iso 200 in f/4.0 to f/5.6 settings due to cloudy morning. Plain jpg in K20D with no post processing. It seems the Sigma can serve well in portraits though a bit longer than the Tamron

Last edited by hinman; 03-13-2009 at 08:55 PM.
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #18

Hinman, I realize that the shooting environments were anything but controlled, but I scrolled back and forth for quite a while, and I have to say the Sigma is my favorite in both macro and portrait sets. I don't know if I should have said anything as I really would not want to influence your decision. I have a 50mm Sigma macro, and the build quality is excellent, I'm assuming the 100mm is similar. Without having handled the Tamron, I'd have to say it would have to be very nice to edge out the Sigma in this department...

Cheers,
Matt
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #19
Damn Brit

Hin, here are some non macro and non portrait shots taken with the Sigma, not sure if this will help or make your decision more difficult.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/34686-impressed-sigma-105mm-macro.html

03-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loudbay Quote
Hinman, I realize that the shooting environments were anything but controlled, but I scrolled back and forth for quite a while, and I have to say the Sigma is my favorite in both macro and portrait sets. I don't know if I should have said anything as I really would not want to influence your decision. I have a 50mm Sigma macro, and the build quality is excellent, I'm assuming the 100mm is similar. Without having handled the Tamron, I'd have to say it would have to be very nice to edge out the Sigma in this department...

Cheers,
Matt
Thank you for the observation and comments. I have formed similar observation after browsing through the two sets of test pictures over the last week.

On the test pictures, Sigma has an edge on the color, especially the background rendering. But I have to say that my testing is totally not controlled and variance happen due to different lighting environment and also the order of my testing similar shots happens on Tamron first followed by Sigma. Also, on the Sigma macros, I did have some adjustment on contrast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hin, here are some non macro and non portrait shots taken with the Sigma, not sure if this will help or make your decision more difficult.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/34686-impressed-sigma-105mm-macro.html
Thank you Gary, I think the Sigma does very well in those scenic shots, very tranquil and scenic photos that remind us there is NO bad macro lens.

Last edited by hinman; 03-20-2009 at 09:53 AM.
03-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha, i just took a picture of the same type of flower the other day with my sigma 105mm macro (just got it). It was at a friends house, and i was just explaining to him how the lens works so it was just a "test shot" if you will. Here's the pic nonetheless:

I was deciding between the tamron 90mm, and the sigma 105mm and ended up going with sigma because i wanted a metal lens. Both are great lenses. I also found the extra reach very useful
03-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I love my Tamron ... it is one lens that I WILL NEVER let go of.

Zenfolio | Simon Bauer | Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro

very versatile lens indeed.

03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #23

Hinman, Here's my favorite of both sets... Again, the sigma. I even looked for one to purchase, although I'm not 'in the market'.

Cheers, Matt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hin_man/3340023794

Edit: This image is just 'retarted'. Is that what the kids say nowadays?

Last edited by loudbay; 03-21-2009 at 09:23 PM.
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
So it looks like any version of the Tamron 90mm works fine and the same???
05-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
The Sigma AF hunts more than the Tamron in close up and I have to turn to MF for few of the shots.

That's why everyone one uses MF for macro shooting...

I suggest you sell whichever you can make biggest profit on. You did say the pictures come out almost identical. Sounds like a no brainer...
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
That's why everyone one uses MF for macro shooting...

I suggest you sell whichever you can make biggest profit on. You did say the pictures come out almost identical. Sounds like a no brainer...

I have sold my Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 1:1 non-Di to another forum member. My decision is mostly based on the focal range of lenses in my gear. I have 77mm which is closer to 90mm than 105mm. Both of the macro lenses have served me well and I have no hesitation in recommending either one to people.

Thanks,
Hin
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mwcfire Quote
So it looks like any version of the Tamron 90mm works fine and the same???
That has been my impressions. Of course, if money is not an issue, go with the latest. But if you find a Sigma non-DG or a Tamron non-Di with smaller price tags, I won't hesitate to recommend them as I have used both the older versions and they are very capable and have met my expectations.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-08-2009 at 09:44 PM.
05-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hey Hin: Thanks for getting back to us--I was wondering how you would resolve this. I think your choice to go with the extra 15mm makes a lot of sense--that 105mm is more than %15 longer than the Tammy and will get utilized. Best of luck shooting with the Sigma.