Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Volna-9 macro, with ext.tube and 1.7 AFA (IMG of a US penny)

I know this is useless info. for a lot, so I thought I'll stick it here.(I guess the mods. have decided to move it..it was at 'everything else' section before). I googled everything about the volna-9 lens prior to purchasing, and there is not a lot of info. out there, the next buyer will have a bit more now .

I removed the inner lens element out an old poor performing 2X TC and that becomes my 25mm Extension tube.
(LINK: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/52930-can-i-con...-contacts.html)

All images taken at the closest focusing distance at F16 (max. aperture of the lens, and appropriate for macro work).

If the Pentax AFA adapter is used, then the image was auto focused, otherwise manual focus using the stock screen and focus confirmation.

Exposure was adjusted based on camera histogram.

Three images for each combination. 1) The whole image 2) A 100% crop 3) A crop of the same area.

IF THIS POST IS USEFUL FOR ANY, LET ME KNOW, OTHERWISE THIS WILL BE MY FIRST AND LAST COMPARISON TO BE POSTED

Whole image

1) The lens alone

Lens and the Ext. Tube

Lens and the 1.7 AFA

The lens, Ext. tube & 1.7 AFA

100% crops

The lens alone

Lens and the Ext. Tube

Lens and the 1.7 AFA

The lens, Ext. tube & 1.7 AFA (yeah a bit smaller than others, but still 100%)

Crop of the same area

The lens alone

Lens and the Ext. Tube

Lens and the 1.7 AFA

The lens, Ext tube & 1.7 AFA

I personally like the 1.7 AFA. Wide open the lens alone is sharper, but at F16 the 1.7 AFA is remarkably good.

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-07-2009 at 12:41 PM.