Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony and Pentax to get optical stabilization, courtesy of Sigma?

YouTube - Imaging Resource PMA 2009 - Sigma Lenses

You heard it from a rep.

Skip to 2:33 if you're impatient.

03-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
YouTube - Imaging Resource PMA 2009 - Sigma Lenses

You heard it from a rep.

Skip to 2:33 if you're impatient.

I doubt it. Sigma and Tamron already have lenses that have "internal optical stabilization" that are also "available for all mounts, including Pentaxes and Sonys".

It's just that the ones for Pentax/Sony don't have OIS in them (even though they cost the same, which is a ripoff) :-p

On the other hand, I don't know what the advantage would be, unless you're talking about using this with earlier Pentax D(SLR)s that don't have built-in OIS>
03-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you watch the video you will know.
03-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This will be interesting for focal lengths over 135mm or so.

03-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma was promoting this feature on their website already a bit earlier. They do claim that also lenses with Pentax mount do have a built-in optical stabiliser.
It is still unclear to me how their system really works, what sort of performance can be expected etc. There is probably no syncronisation between the optical stabiliser in the lens and the sensor stabiliser within the body. Will be interesting to see what happens when you have them both working simultaneously!
03-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well there was a demonstration on Youtube using the camera's built-in and in-lens stabilization on the Olympus E-510.
Bottomline having both stabilization on at the same time = crap results.

YouTube - Olympus E-510 with Leica 14-50mm. Lens vs sensor anti-shake
03-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Sigma was promoting this feature on their website already a bit earlier. They do claim that also lenses with Pentax mount do have a built-in optical stabiliser.
It is still unclear to me how their system really works, what sort of performance can be expected etc. There is probably no syncronisation between the optical stabiliser in the lens and the sensor stabiliser within the body. Will be interesting to see what happens when you have them both working simultaneously!

You're supposed to choose between them. Optical stabilization is arguably more reassuring at long focal lengths because you don't get to see the camera shake.
03-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You're supposed to choose between them. Optical stabilization is arguably more reassuring at long focal lengths because you don't get to see the camera shake.
Exactly! And I think Sigma are very smart to leave the OS in lenses for Pentax, Oly and Sony mounts.

03-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Indeed. Why remove it for us.
The 120-400 for example would be nice to have with in lens stabilisation.
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One drawback of lens stabilization in so far as my experience with the Nikon 18-200mm VR is concerned is the battery drain on the camera.
Also with the many cases of the VR mechanism dying suddenly with this lens, I much prefer in-body camera stabilization in general.
So to me no great shakes with lens stabilization...
03-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
One drawback of lens stabilization in so far as my experience with the Nikon 18-200mm VR is concerned is the battery drain on the camera.
Also with the many cases of the VR mechanism dying suddenly with this lens, I much prefer in-body camera stabilization in general.
So to me no great shakes with lens stabilization...
I have heard that Nikon's VR system quits working when pointing the camera upwards or downwards. Is this correct?
03-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
You would switch off the Pentax SR when employing the SR on the Sigma lenses and visa versa.
03-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah Ok, I understand now. In which case, yeah, leave it in. If they're gonna charge us the same price, why not, even if I end up never using it ;-)