Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What lens for Glacier National Park?

I've been debating for some time picking up either a FA 43 or DA 40. However, I recently made plans to go to Glacier in July. This is a great opportunity for some incredible shots and I want to make sure I have the right gear. I'm concerned the 40 or 43 isn't wide enough for "big sky country", but I don't normally shoot wide so I'm a little unsure.

I'm thinking I should be looking at the DA 21 or DA 14 (or FA 20 if I can find one). I also wonder if I'd be safer going with a the 12-24, although I'd really like a nice prime.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

JamieP

03-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went to Glacier back when I was using a Minolta film camera. I had a 19-35mm and it was perfect. I highly recommend a wide angle lens for this. I have no experience with the DA14 or 12-24mm, but the range is just right for Montana. Of course for wildlife you would want something longer.
03-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Glacier

I have the DA 12-24 and the FA 43. I love them both and would think that both have their places in Glacier. I've used them in other mountain locales and traveling. I also have a DA 18-250 that I use for traveling that is very convenient and good. The others are noticeably sharper and are a nice complement. Also, consider whether you want a macro. I have a Tamron 90 2.8 that has served me well.

If you had to choose one to complement a normal kit, I would choose the 12-24 for landscapes.
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

By July you should be able to pick up the DA 15mm which would satisfy your needs for a wide prime quite well. And yes, in Glacier you will want something wide. What else do you have to take with you?

One view at 21mm:

03-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasupdoc Quote
By July you should be able to pick up the DA 15mm which would satisfy your needs for a wide prime quite well. And yes, in Glacier you will want something wide. What else do you have to take with you?
I have the kit, a Sigma 24 - 60 and a Sigma 70 - 300. I hope to replace the long zoom before the trip as well, but not sure if I can afford to. Will be prioritizing the wide lens.
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

I think prioritizing the wide lens is the right choice. Glacier is not like Yellowstone in terms of wildlife - you'll be lucky to see a large animal and chances are that it will be off in the distance although for that rare occasion it would be nice to have something available. (Marmots and chipmunks are plentiful though Obviously either the 12-24 or a wide prime would compliment your 24-60 nicely. I personally like to have macro capability along on trips like that - your Sigma 70-300 is probably macro but a relatively cheap way to get a lot more IQ is an old 50 to 135mm prime on a set of cheap manual extension tubes - viva la green button! Glacier is one of my favorite places, your really going to enjoy it. (Keep in mind July can still be quite cool and sometimes damp - hopefully not, but be prepared).